Chronic Sinusitis & Nasal Polyps
I developed a sinus infection back in early May of '08. I went to my primary care physician and was treated with multiple courses of antibiotics such as avalox, levaquin, bactrim and many more as well as doses of corticosteriods to reduce inflamation. After none of this worked I was referred to a ENT specialist where he had me do a CT scan of the sinuses and told me that I had nasal polyps and a sinus infection. The ENT also gave me courses of antibiotics, and corticosteriods and recommended that I do saline nasal washes to see if the polyps would reduce in size so that surgery would not be required. After none of this worked he decided to remove the polyps through nasal endoscopic surgery, he ran pathology tests on the polyps that were removed and said that eveything looked fine, he did say there were some white blood cells present but nothing major. After the surgery i continued on various antibiotics and the saline wash but added to the wash was a topical antibiotic but I dont think i was ever able to get completely rid of the infection. I also went to the allergist and did allergy testing and it all came back negative. I recently went back to the Dr. because the infection seemed to be coming back stronger and i was getting headaches and he told me that that polyps have are starting to grow back..so it seems that I'm back where i started...polyps and a sinus infection. So now I have to do another CT scan...if anyone has any ideas..please help..i dont know what else to do
It is not unusual to have the polyps coming back.

The ENT may put you on systemic corticosteroids for  few days and topical (nasal spray) corticosteroids for a few months for this.

best,

Thomas Antony