Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Chronic Sore Throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Chronic Sore Throat

I've had sore throat(s) for about 2 months now. It's usually around my larynx, sometimes above, sometimes below. It also affects the area right below the left ear sometimes. It's not always there, just usually. I had it for a month then it went away for about three or four days. Then it came back for a couple of weeks and went away again for almost a week. It ranges in severity, when it's there, from mildly annoying to absolutely excruciating. It honestly brought tears to my eyes yesterday it was so bad. It felt like someone was ripping my adam's apple out. I've been to the doctor more than once. I've tried antibiotics in case it was an infection (the strep test was negative). I've been on antacids in case it was esophageal erosion. I've tried nasal sprays and antihistamines. The doctor has scheduled an appointment for me with the ENT specialist. Should I be worried? I am. Is there anything I can do to alleviate the pain? Tylenol #3 don't even help.
I forgot to mention, I have dizziness and bad headaches too, sometimes, sometimes for days on end.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms could be due to a post nasal drip, which can cause a chronic irritation in the throat. This could be due to a sinus infection, a cold or a chronic allergy. It could be sinusitis, if it is accompanied by nasal stuffiness and facial pain or pressure. Post nasal drip could also be due to allergens. These are substances like pollen, dust, animal dander, certain foods, insect venoms and certain medications. Exposure to allergens causes a runny nose with a resultant post nasal drip where secretions from the nose go backward into the throat and irritate. Discuss these options with your consulting doctor.

In the meantime for relief from your symptoms you could do warm salt gargles and take OTC antihistamines.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Just to update. After your post I went to the pharmacy and asked for a good antihistamine. The pharmacist gave me some Benadryl  tablets. For pain I got some Lenoltec #1. I started taking the Benadryl 3 times a day and used 2 Lenoltec when the pain became unbearable. The irritation began to subside in about 4 days and I was 95% cleared up in about 10 days. This was over a month ago and I've been 95% clear now for the last 3 weeks or so. I'm still having a slight discomfort and have been continuing the Benadryl. I plan to do this until my appointment with the ENT in April. Thanks for your help and encouragement.
Chuck
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Chuck, good to see you are doing well. In addition to Benadryl try to identify what triggers your symptoms. It could be anything related to the weather or sometimes food. Once you identify the allergens avoid them. Also, continue with warm salt gargles, they will give good relief. And Good Luck!!

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.