Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Chronic clogged eustachian tubes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Chronic clogged eustachian tubes

I am 63 and have had a problem with my left eustachian tube since I was a kid. My most recent serious bout was Last Feb. when  I was experiencing intermittent dizzy spells and an earache.. I then cut back on my salt intake per her suggestion. Also a trip to an ENT said I had TMJ (I have had dentures for 5 years now) and I  do have a clicking sound from the left jaw when I open it. He confirmed that I had a clogged   eustachian tube that could be unblocked by holding my nose and blowing. Well my Dr. had to give me 2 rounds of Erthromycin for the earache.
This relieved the pain but the dizziness stayed still intermittent and a nuisance but I managed okay. Well in Nov. last year I became very sick from dizziness and nausea. Every morn. I experienced this it was debilitating.  It seemed to dissipate during the early afternoon only after I ate something really salty such as baked beans or chicken noodle soup. Strange yes.
I had 3 visits to my Dr. within 10 days in Nov. and the ER twice. Only thing that was found was that when my blood lab reports were compared (3 total - 1 with my Dr. and 2 in ER) my sodium levels had been down since the early spring. Last visit to the ER this was detected by the very observant  ER Dr.  My Dr. who had not mentioned this to me then referred me to an Endocrinologist. Tests came back normal. I had resumed eating salt that seemed to help the dizziness so my sodium levels came back up within 2 weeks. But the dizziness and nausea persisted. I have since changed GP and my new Dr. has me on phenergan which helps some. I have had 2 Cat scans since the spring, brain and chest all normal, thyroid was normal. Now here I am still with the nausea and and dizziness and now my ear is nagging me again. Almost a year later. Now I am beginning to think that the clogged eustachian tube has been the cause all along. Has anyone else had similiar problems.  Now, one year later,  I am going back this week for another earache.