Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Chronic ear infection - untreated
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Chronic ear infection - untreated

Hello all, thanks for reading.

I have been getting ear infections on and off for about a year.  The doctor has previously tried me on antihistamines and amoxicillin (which I was allergic to) to no avail.

He says my eustachian tube is filled with fluid and not draining.  I constantly feel like my ear is in the swimming pool and its affecting my concentration.  This latest bout has lasted nearly a month.  Should I worry given its proximity to my brain etc?  And does anyone know how safe Otomize is as a spray?

And help appreciated as I am not able to sleep currently.

SA
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hello,

Chronic ear infections are serious.  The main issue with them is that cholesteatomas (spelling probably butchered) form.  They have to be surgically removed.  You can lose your hearing as a result.  Since you are allergic to penicillin related medications, your doctor should be putting you on different types of antibiotics.  Ther are MANY to chose from, Levaquin and Z-packs (azithromiacin) are commonly used.

I hope that helps you some.  
Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Take care and God bless.
Blank
605877 tn?1301704246
Thank you for your comment - I haven't heard of cholesteatomas, are they present in every case?

Blank
They are masses that develop from the fluid.  I don't know if every patient gets them or not.  I would have to do some research for you on that if you want me to.

Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Ear, Nose & Throat Community Resources