Chronic irritation in nasopharynx, on soft palate
Shortly Following an upper respiratory tract infection a little over a year ago, I developed a sore throat, which I pinpointed on the soft palate, up in the nasopharynx where I can not see it. It is fairly chronic: it comes and throughout the day, and I've noticed it get worse if I consume alcohol, though I do not drink often or heavily. I've seen 2 doctors, both of whom said I had post nasal drip and polyps most likely due allergies, though Claritin & Flonase had minimal effect. It's generally mild but annoying, but last night it was bad enough to interrupt my sleep. I'm uninsured, and as much as I'd like to go to an ENT specialist, I can't afford it. What should I do?
I had the exact same issue you referenced following bronchitis and an upper respiratory infection which persisted for over a month.  I just saw my physician and it turns out that I have an oral yeast infection (also known as thrush).  This condition can occur following the use of antibiotics, because it can disrupt the normal balance of bacteria and yeast in your mouth.  Also, an oral yeast infection will not go away without treatment which may explain why you've had the issue for so long.  The good news is that with a diagnosis of thrush your doctor can prescribe you an anti-fungal rinse called Nystatin which you swish, gargle and swallow 4 times a day for 10 days to kill the yeast colony growth.  So far it's been working for me and my symptoms have disappeared.
I found this post by googling "chronic nasal irritation". Almost three years ago, I developed an irritation in both sides of my nose; I think it followed some sort of local sore/infection. It does not hurt, but as bobobilly described, it is extremely annoying.

Also, you mentioned that it became increasingly irritating when you drank alcohol. I haven't thought of this before, but recently I have been drinking much more than usual, and my irritation has been exceptionally bad.

Also like you, I was once told that I might have polyps.

Throughout the first year and a half (or so), I've asked about 8 different doctors about it (including an ENT), and have gotten no good diagnosis.

Can you provide more details?

Thanks!

DP

Since my last post I've also invested in a Neti Bottle (for nasal irrigation) which you can pickup at your local pharmacy for about $12.  The Neti Bottle allows you to flush your sinuses with a salt water solution and is wonderful in alleviating nasopharynx, allergies and post-nasal drip issues that many people experience.  It takes about 2 weeks to fully alleviate chronic symptoms at which point you can use the bottle as necessary.  The practice is completely safe and natural and some recent studies suggest that most people using drugs to treat symptoms were able to stop ************** after using the Neti Bottle.  Give it a try for 2 weeks and see if your annoying symptoms go away.  I know it has significantly helped me.

Hope this helps.