Click when swallowing

I was wondering if someone could help me.  For a few weeks now I have this click in my throat when I swallow.  Not when I am drinking water or eating, but just during normal swallowing.  It doesn't click when my head is down or up, but it clicks when I am looking straight.  If I put my fingers just above adams apple I can feel a click.

Please help me to identify what it could be.

Thank you,
B
Try not to worry. My overall consensus from reading this post top to bottom and also reading literature is surgery would be a lost resort and on balance, the risks of surgery are probably greater than doing nothing.  There will be various reasons for click swallow. One of the posters here wildblu98 has an excellent knowledge of throat anatomy and offers explanations for click. I think in your case, the suggestion of stretching the cartilage by intubation might be feasible but that's just my opinion (not based on any medical facts or statistics). I was also intubated - gastroscopy that went difficult. Since then, I had click swallow which occurs at specific head/neck positions. It doesn't hurt but frustrating and doesn't occur all the time (because the head/neck is not always fixed in the position worst for click swallow). If you message me with your e-mail address, I can send you some throat exercises that might help and a medical paper.  I think with time, your click will get less. If something has moved into position such that it now contacts as you swallow, with time, it may ease back or "wear" down (if such a thing can happen?) - I'd favour the former - easing back to the original normal position. Remember, self awareness of the click can sometimes make things worse because you, probably, like a lot of us, will position your head at different positions, then swallow to test the extent of the click or if it's there. It's sometimes best if you can try (if it's possible) to do things that will distract you. Also, you may have had a click before without even noticing, but that it may have just got worse to the extent that you have become aware. Rather than cartilages that have moved into position and are glancing past each other just touching, another potential cause of a click might? be a symptom of anxiolytic induced globus pharyngeas where cricopharyngeal muscle goes into spasm and causes the sensation of a lump. It may be that if spasm is present, when you swallow, the lump (which is not a sinister lump or an actual physical lump) may cause a click sensation on swallow. Do you have the click when swalloing food? or just when swallowing air/nothing?  I understand that globus sensations are not present when swalloing food (because a valve opens temporarilly to allow food to pass, and the muscles relax or sometjing like that). I would suggest you don't mess on poking your throat and don't start to peer down your throat daily looking in the mirror (which I did) because it means you're stretching your throat in different ways and it might??? make things worse, or at least increase your awareness too much. I hope this helps. Give me a message for the paper.
Mine is still here.  Gets worse when I get a cold.  Don't think it will go away on its own.
Looking to see if anyone has experienced the same problem as I do. 4 months ago I woke up with a striking pain in the throat (left side of Adams apple) it was so bad I couldn't go back to sleep. The pain cleared up, but now I get this weird click in the same area after I yawn. It feels like a bone or tendon get stuck and click right back to place after I move my head around. I've had a barium swallow, thyroid ultra sound and a blood test done, and nothing showed up. The click does not hurt but just annoying, and even worse the fear of cancer as I've been a half a pack a day smoker for 15 years. I went to see a different doctor which was really interested in this symptom, he said that the tendons became loose on the hyoid bone, and thatthis is just a abnormality and  i'm currently on antiinflammatories and i might just have to just get used to it. I did not have any neck trauma prior to this but I do recall having a severe sinus infection prior to this. Just looking to see if anyone else is experiencing this.
I'm sorry you have this click.  I don't know what caused your symptoms. You didn't say how long the pain lasted; hours, days, weeks etc. You mentioned when you yawn the click occurs. It's not a click in your jaw is it? Sometimes when the mouth is opened, the jaw bones can click. Dentists sometimes comment on jaw clicks when doing examinations. However, you would have noticed this at dentist appointments when opening your mouth wider than you normally would, so it probably isn't a jaw click.

If you're worried of throat cancer, you should express those concerns to your doctor who would probably send you to an ENT doctor and do a direct fibre laryngoscopy. They insert a small endoscope up the nose, and it dangles into the throat where they can see the vocal chords etc. The reason they go up the nose is is to avoid in thro the mouth going over the tongue which would cause gagging. This way, they avoid the tongue completely.

They usually squirt a little local anaesthetic up the nose a few minutes before hand, or insert a cotton wool ball dosed with local anaesthetic for a few minutes. You get a sensation of numbness up the nose and eventually the swallow becomes a bit numb. Nothing to worry about. Then they insert the endoscope slowly. You might think the nose passage is not big enough to allow the endoscope in, but goes in easy.  It's all done in a few minutes whilst you sit calmly. You might see the view on a video screen if they record it.

If you possibly can, you should consider trying to stop smoking. It's likely to be of benefit based on what they say about smoking.  Stopping might be difficult, I understand that. You could reduce the number of cigarettes gradually which might make your body not so dependent, and eventually you'll stop. e.g instead of 10 a day, aim for 9 a day and pace it out. Then 8 a day etc. Then when you get to 1 a day, do 1 every other day, then one every 2 days, then none. That is probably not so dramatic as stopping immediately, which could cause unpleasant withdrawal effects not getting the fix of nicotine.

As for the click, a lot of us have this in various sets of symptoms and magnitudes, but I think the general consensus is that it is a nuisance but isn't harmful.  It could go away on its own which might take weeks, months or years, or remain. Time will tell.  But if you do feel a physical lump in your throat or neck, or have had changes in your voice or had a hoarse voice for more than about 3 weeks, go back to the doctors for a check.
Thanks for the response, my symptom has gone on for at least 4 months, wen i yawn, something gets dislodged in my adams apple area, i have to swallow or move my head around and it clicks back into place. There are no masses or lumps in my throat, and I am not experiencing any hoarseness in my voice, other that occasional phlegm which i have to clear my thoat. I do believe on the other hand that my symptom could be stress related as I have had a family member attempt to commit suicide at the beginning of the year, and have become a hypochondriac since then. The stress could have caused my thyroid to inflame and the hyoid is rubbing against the cartilage. I am awaiting a call from an ENT for an appointment, just recently went to see my doc and he did a referral. I think the stress from my hypochondria is getting to me
I wondered how you have gotten on since last year. Has your symptoms got better with time and the control measures in diet you introduced?  Have you been able to have a few of those delightful foods you removed and seen whether any problems came back or you could now tolerate them.  Has your click got any better?
I'm sorry to learn of that news. Stress is not a good thing. I suffer from it, which causes or worsens anxiety and depression. In some cases, the muscles in the throat can go into spasm and cause the sensation of a lump. I think it's the cricopharygeal muscle. I think it is possibly like other muscles in the body which go into spasm, there are obvious sensations.

I have not been able to correlate my click with stress because symptoms have been worse in times of no stress, and not obvious at times of severe stress.

I read somewhere about a test to see if it is spasm in the throat. The idea was to take a low dose of Valium (diazepam) for a few days. Diazepam is actually a muscle relaxant, hence the idea of a trial. If spasm is present, diazepam might reduce or stop it. If the click is caused by spasm, then it may work. An ENT told me that the dose I took was probably not high enough to test the theory.

Yes, there is a lot of discussion on impacting cartilages said to be the cause of clicking. In general, if the click is so abrupt, a CT scan might show the impact. However, CT scans expose people to X-rays which adds risk that wasn't there before. That is, is it worth a CT? because what is the consequence if a CT showed an impact? - either do nothing or a potential operation (as a last resort) to attempt to stop the click (which may not be succesful, but the literature I have read showed most operations were succesful. But again, this was only a handful of patients).

I think if you think stress could be a potential factor, work with it and see how you go. Look at ways of reducing stress (unfortunately I understand smoking might give that release but it's not a good way).  I don't understand the abrupt acute event in the night though. I can't see stress doing that. Effects of stress are generally gradual and build up. But, once the stress has built up (without you realising), certain events might be triggered, e.g. muscle spasms.  Is it possible that you had the click before the event but that you then associated the click with the event? The event may have just been a nerve nip or something causing intense acute pain that would fade away after the nerve was released, or some spasm - like how muscle spasms elsewhere occur such as the back of the lower leg or foot, which can be enormously painful at the time and for days after.

I'm actually sitting here writing this and I've got that damned click swallow, which occurs at certain head positions. Mine hasn't been cured so I live with it. I try to distract myself.  I would suggest you don't mess on poking the throat. You could end up testing yourself, comparing R and L and listening for clicks and you'll start to become aware of throat bone and cartilage movements and sensations you never knew you had, but you might start to worry that they are not normal.

You could take the HAD test to see what levels of anxiety and depression you might have (if any). It's a series of questions. You could find it somewhere on the internet if you looked it up. Or, a doctor could give you the list of questions (but if you don't want it on your doctor's record, just do the test yourself).  

There are some medications that are reported to be helpful in desensitising areas of the body due to nerve pain. Gabapentin and especially pregabalin which is reported to be better, might help with throat sensations. If it's a physical impact, then medication won't work.  But might be worth a try, especially if you have anxiety.
Luckily I have only had the click for about three weeks.  I go weekly to my chiropractor and asked him if he knew what the click was from.  Dr Mike told me that the neck/throat muscle is tight and has slipped out of position.  He said to to:

Roll up a towel
Lay on your back on your bed with your head hanging over the edge
Place the towel under your neck
Stretch the neck/throat muscle by letting your neck hang
Rub throat area while stretching
Do this every night as long as you can, until the clicking stops

Mine worked in three days.

I hope this helps with the throat clicking for someone else too because this was so annoying.  
Hello

I come from Norway, but lives in England on a singing study. I have been seeing 4 doctors and 2 ostepaths to try to treat symptoms I randomly got after beeing sick for a couple of weeks with a throat infection.

After the throat infection I had last year a wierd sensation apeared, even after beeing healthy. The sensation is something beeing stuck in my throat 24/7. Like something beeing stuck in the throad or making it feel more narrow. When I swallow it usually click, but the intensity is random from day to day. Today its so loud that I and others can actually hear it. I look at some of the previous post and wierdly enough, swallowing, while looking to the left side makes it click free!

I am spending money on private ear, noose and neck specialist and will demand a CT scan. I am really glad I found out that I am not the only person who is experiencing this problem, which most doctors has not taken me serious on. I have been diagnosed stress, unhealthy, acid reflux and so on, but with no treatment to help. I feel unstress, healthy and just fine. This problem just came out of nowhere and is haunting me for the last 5 months. This is a huge problem for me as a singer and has to be resolved for me to continou doing so.

I will come back with results and stuff like that later.

Peace out! =)
Did you ever resolve the click?  I too have a click in my throat that started two years ago.  They found a large growth on my thyroid and it was removed a year and a half ago.  Still clicking.  Went and had an upper GI and they found a hiatal hernia but said this is not the cause.  Am now having a laryngoscopy and barium swallow test.  Mine feels that there is a bone clicking in my throat only when I hold my head in certain positions and swallow.  If I tilt my head up it stops or if I am swallowing food or drink I do not feel it.  Curious to know if others resolved the click.  
I still have it.  There are more and more people who post with the same issue  and when you tell ear/nose specialist they look at you like you just fell of the moon ( 0_0 click? In the throat? No idea)
Don't know if anyone is still following this feed, but my ENT did make me feel like I was a nut.
I still have the click in the throat when I swallow. It's more noticeable at certain head positions, especially looking down. If I look up and swallow, the click is absent. It is not always noticeable. It can be much worse and noticeable if I cough or clear my throat, then swallow.  It is still noticeable when I swallow a drink.  If I press on my throat from the left, near or at the Adam's apple with the head slightly lifted upward, the throat just bends. If I press from the right, there is a click even without swallowing. It feels like the way a knuckle might crack but the throat bends and the sensation during the click or clicks is like a crumbling cartilage.  I get concerned if I press and the click occurs because I'm worried that it causes harm or that it had been mending and pressing might break it.  Does anyone know what the crunches/clicks are when I press on the right, but no crunches/clicks when I press on the left?  I worry that one side has been "broken" at some stage and is in pieces that hold themselves together in some way.  There is much in this forum that suggests click swallow is due to bone impacts. There was a mention of hiatus hernia but not the cause of the click swallow. I wondered if a hiatus hernia could cause a click swallow by the following:  The stomach fills with gas and gets bloated a little. Then, it presses upwards on the diaphragm and oesophagus. I wondered if the oesophagus could be pushed upwards a few millimetres whilst the stomach was full or gas. That might make the oesophagus push the larynx upward a little and when the swallow occurs, it might have made the structures of the throat impact in some way? This theory would probably not stand up if the oesophagus didn't move upwards a little.  Has anyone who has a hiatus hernia noticed if the click swallow disapprears temporarilly when/if/after they burp?  That is, air is released from the stomach, the pressure on the hiatus hernia is less and perhaps the oesophagus sinks downward a few millimetres, taking the pressure off the throat.  The oesophagus would probably have to act as a rigid tube but this might not be possible, I don't know.

I used to clear my throat a lot and have to suck Jakeman's sweets or something to help. But on one occasion, I took trimethoprim for another condition, and there was an affect on my thorat. Because it is an antibiotic, I assume it changed the flora of the throat. I noticed I didn't need to clear the throat regularly and didn't need to suck such sweets.  The click occurs if clearing the throat, so when I didn't need to clear it (coinciding with taking trimethoprim), the click didn't occur or was less noticeable. Taking trimethoprim and an impact on the throat may have been a coincidence, but for some of you, it may be worth a try.  You'd have to convince a doctor to prescribe it. But if you don't have a throat or chest infection, its unlikely you'd get such antibiotic.  I didn't have a throat infection but the AB was needed for some other condition elswhere unrelated to the throat.
Thank you for posting this.  I have had the click for 4 months and I will try your method.   I hope it works!
I have the same click when I swallow.  If I push on my adams apple from the left side, I feel a click in my neck and then there is no click on the next swallow.  There has to be a cure!!
I don't think the crunches\clicks when you press on the right are anything "broken".  I think it's something out of alignment and that crunching is cartilage rubbing.
This is the problem I think

1 u have rounded shoulders weak back muscles
2 u have sore rhomboid muscle or one shoulder blade sore

When press rhomboid which is inflamed it refers up to the head and Into the Adam's apple

The shoulder ( check them one might be higher then other) is pulling your strap muscles to the left or right putting the cartilage crooked a bit and irritating it and making it click, why rhomboid is sore

So

Keep your shoulder back and chin tucked in when walk or sit with straight back

Go to gym do back exercises lateral pull down, seated row, dumbbell fly, assisted chin up

Do rhomboid stretches and chest stretches

Get back massaged by physio and posture fixed

Stop using laptop with forward head position

Sleep on back with towel down spine or sleep on shoulder which doesn't have the sore rhomboid muscle

Relax!!!! Stop worrying it will get better

This is a posture and weak back problem I think get your back checked by a physio and see if fixes the problem it's due to asymmetry
Also check your T spine it's probably inflexible from too much laptop and or bike riding. This is a posture problem in most cases. Took ages to work out saw so many doctors who had no clue but finally worked it out. Reflux is probably due to stress and or asymmetry of shoulder and neck. Neck tucks may be useful too. U may have cervical lordosis but look at your shoulders if one higher then other and if tucked back and down properly. Get a physio to strap them in correct position few days and start doing back exercises and stop all chest exercises
Also when I press the sore rhomboid muscle the referral feels inside the Adam's apple. The greater horn of the hyoid is tender from asymmetry and i think it's scraping the submandibular gland irritating it and/or pressing rhomboid causes salivation which feels like its inside throat why when ent checked mine all ok. So check your shoulder hights and poke around to find your rhomboid
As soon as I retract shoulders down and back relief could come quickly. Let me know how u all go?
Another cause of this is using laptop in bed on your side for long periods stop that ASAP as well. But I think most will have asymmetry of shoulder, forward neck position and rounded shoulders.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/496030-mylohyoid-exercises/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/495379-suprahyoid-exercises/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/159600-stretches-for-the-omohyoid-muscle/

http://www.livestrong.com/scalene-muscles/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/124223-forward-head-posture-symptoms/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/490112-suboccipital-exercises/

But I think shoulder position is more important and back rowing exercises and stretches
It might not be the rhomboid muscle that you are feeling.  The nerve roots for your arm and shoulder are in your neck, so if you developed the clicking at the same time as the rhomboid pain this may be the cause.  The next time you get the rhomboid pain, have somebody grab your head and pull upwards on it.  If that makes the pain go away and then it comes back when they release your head, the problem is in your neck and not your shoulder.  
Just to let everyone know, the advice Jocmaxum23 got from his chiropractor did work for me but the click came back.  Maybe if I do it more often or more regularly it could cure it or maybe my click is just worse than his was.
If anybody finds a cure or reason to this problem please let me know. I have had blood work done and a few second opinions but nothing. I actually feel like the doctors are avoiding my problem. They only thing that have said is maybe some kind of reflux. Really tired of the problem
This is a bit late as I see comment was from years ago but please check out eagles syndrome, elongated styloid which can happen after having tonsils removed, do u also feel like something is stuck in ur throat?
Thank you ClickingNeck. Your suggestion correlates with head position when I swallow. At certain head positions, the cartilage structures possibly align in a position such that when the swallow mechanism starts, there is that impact which is perceived as crunching, maybe cartilage crepitus. It also occurs just immediately after clearing throat on the first few swallows. It still continues.
I do. I feel like I want to cut something off that's catching - obviously I'm not going to try but that's the sensation I get in the throat near the adams apple. I read earlier about someone giving an exercise to do where you lie on the bed and let your head dropped back over the edge, but having a wrapped up towel under the back of the neck. I think this was some kind of "gentle?" stretching exercise. Has anyone else tried that and been successful or has it made the click worse? [it's a worry that such a posture might make the click condition worse, i.e. make whatever could possibly be impacting, positioned even more to cause impact?]. [I haven't had tonsils out].
This clicking consumed me for the summer. Oddly, I had simultaneous neuralgia in my ear/throat in addition to the clicking which confused doctors even more! As much as I want to go up to UCLA to trim the cartilage, all doctors advised against something so invasive. If I use the wrong pillow for a couple of days the clicking comes back with a vengeance. I think neck/shoulder/head stretches helps. I use a firm tempurpedic pillow to keep my head in a position that doesn't promote the clicking and it gets better. I also take Aleve. One of my doctors believes it can be an arthritic issue (even though he knows the study by Marshall and Burke, he studied under Marshall in Utah). It's annoying as heck and painful at times when it flares up, but the more you focus on it the more you notice it. Try getting on a steroid for a couple of weeks to calm it down, and chalk it up to a freakish thing you were unlucky enough to get, but be thankful it's not something worse. Apparently, we are not alone!
Hello, I am having a similar problem. But the clicking begins when I talk at the end of my sentence.  It seems that the sound is coming from my nose and its pretty loud to my ears and others can hear it once I bring it to their attention.  The clicking sound is very annoying to me.  I went to the ENT today and he advised that it was when I talk the muscle in the back of my throat opens and closes causes the clicking he guess.  He said there is nothing else that can be done.  Any suggestions for me.  It happens also when I swallow normal without drinking liguids.  Nothing hurts it just something that I am ashamed of.  
I have found the reason for my clicking larynx by selfdiagnosing myself and demanding CT pictures or these region while provoking some of the symptom. Even so it was apparent from just taking a natural CT. In my case it was calcification on the right side of the superior cornu (thyroid).

Also there is something odd with my lesser cornu (hyoid bone), but not an apparent problem.

I think with these issues they really have to use a CT scan as the diagnostic tool. I was misdiagnosed and mistreated for nearly 1 year, as so many specialist, doctors, ENT's, ostepaths... coudnt figure it out. They all ended upp on blaiming it on a mental disorder (like depresion or anxity) or saying I had muscular disorder.

After been taken good CT pictures I can now see why its out of balanse. My clicking when I swallow, look down, sides are caused by this exension of the superior cornu, making the hyoid bone under preasure and dislocated.

Look at my profile pictures here in medhelp to see the results. I have also texted them to make them understandable.

Right now I am awaiting answers from some surgant and specialist, if they can remove this calcifaction in a sutble way to restore the balance of my larynx.

I really hope I get this and my life back, becouse this disease have just been a real nightmare. Costly, consuming and scary.
This started 7 weeks ago, very annoying though it doesn't hurt. I stopped Amlodipine, a calcium channel blocker for blood pressure 6 weeks ago. I have been using Stevia extract for sweetness for about 3 years. I stopped using Stevia 5 weeks ago. Can't think of anything else that might cause this as a side effect. Now my throat doesn't click all on swallows (but those with food or drink), as it was 7 weeks ago.
There are more ways I can hold my head, swallow and no click.
Every so often I now have 2-3 swallows with no click when my head is face forward.
Anyone else consider that this might be a side effect?

I'm getting this same symptom of clunking in my throat. Did you ever find out what the cause was?
I have had the crackling, clicking sound in my throat for many years, usually after I swallow it happens a few seconds later. I also have a grinding gravel sound in my c-spine when I turn my head in any direction. In the last few months I have developed a never ending and getting worse, pain that runs from just behind my right ear, down my neck across the top of my shoulder, into my shoulder blade, sometimes down my right arm and sometimes into my right breast. Also, any finger pressure on the right side of my thyroid causes great pain.

I was recently diagnosed with Relapsing Polychondritis, which causes cartilage in one's body to become inflamed and deteriorate. There are symptoms to the disease that are visible, such as one's ears turning red and feeling very hot, except for the ear lobe. I have had the disease for about 10 years, but no doctor that I described my symptoms to could put the symptoms with a disease. This is not uncommon with this disease. It is a very rare disease, with only 3 to 5 out of a million ever being diagnosed. There may be many more people than this that have the disease and just haven't been able to get a diagnosis.

I am going to Mayo Clinic in January for them to conduct some testing to determine how much cartilage damage has already been done and try to find a treatment plan, as RP has no known cure. I have reached the point with mine that I actually feel the heat on the outside of my trachea when I am either in a visible flare or in a flare but not visible at the ears. I have lost some hearing in my right ear due to Eustachian tube partial collapse. As time has gone by, my throat has been getting worse, as well as more and more frequent bouts of hoarseness.

Another symptom of the disease is fatigue; often debilitating fatigue that can only be improved my getting in my soft, quiet, cool and dark bedroom and resting for a while.

Many posts back, in this thread, I saw comments about sinus problems and swollen sinuses. I suffered with my sinuses most of my life. I had a deviated septum which was taken care of by surgery almost 20 years ago. That helped a lot, but I still suffered from sinus congestion until my diagnosis with the Polychondritis and my Rheumatologist placing me on Colcrys. Within 3 days my sinuses cleared up and have been clear for 5 months. I haven't gone that long without some kind of allergy med or decongestant since I was a teen; I am 59.

I don't know if RP could be the cause of any of the issues on this thread, but since so few doctors and even fewer people seem to have ever heard of it, I felt that it was worth taking the time to post some information about it. There is a lot of information on the internet about the disease. Start at the Mayo Clinic website and work out from there if you can identify with the symptoms given there.

Best Wishes to All...MIke
Why does pulling up on that area towards the ear work?  What does it mean???  Is it a muscle or jaw thing?!? I've already seen 2 doctors. 1 thought I had a sinus infection since my ears felt full/ were popping and I was congested.  The other doctor sent me for an X-ray of my sinuses saying she isn't sure I have a sinus infection (awaiting results of X-ray).  

My RMT said she felt fluid under my ear/ near my jaw line.  Told me to go to the dentist...maybe a tooth abcess?  My gum is swollen behind my last molar but I'm still waiting for my dentist appointment.

Background: My symptoms all started 3 days after a gastroscopy and have not stopped for 2 months.  Any suggestions or explanation would be appreciated...need the ear popping to stop!
Hi Jilldai. DId you ever figure this out?? I have the exact same thing and trouble swallowing for three months now with 11 negative tests including ct and mri and blood and two barium swallows and upper GI. Thank u!
I have the same problem and the cause is stress/anxiety, is like over swallowing, also neck pain,  the muscle there get really tense. the more you think about it the more you start to swallow, but if you busy doing others things the clicking disappear, try this: when feeling like swallowing turn you head to the left, right or sides, whichever side is not clicking, maybe a few times while you feel anxious about the clicking and it will stop,
here: more about anxiety, scroll down to: Mouth/Stomach (anxiety symptoms)

https://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-symptoms.shtml
did u ever figure this out i am really stressed out about it pease help
did u ever figure your throat click out?? it's killing me
Can u please help me? i have the same thing and am severly depressed. I am only 26 and it ruined my life. i lost my job and about to lose my house because of of all my doctor bills.
I have the same clicking problem when swallowing. Not happening with fluids or food. I have read all the comments above but noone seems to find a root cause.
When I eat I feel like some of the food is stuck in my throat, it does go away after a while. Plus this clicking problem while swallowing. It has gone for almost over a month now and it started after a night out. I had few drinks and some food. Got indigestion the next day but got some pills and it stopped. Clicking occured at the evening. Not sure what could have caused this. Just a coincident or GERD? My thyroid has 2cm bump, but it was diagnosed 2 weeks before the clicking has started. So this should not be related.
What are your thoughts? Any suggestions?
I've had the same clicking for over a year now and have not been to see a dr yet... I'd go to ucla in a minute if I knew threw would fix me up lol. Seems to be a lot of ppl with the same issue. I also had been dealing with heartburn for a while until I took a pill for that. Click is still there .  I hear stress plays a roll in this and I for sure have stress in my life.  I noticed it first when I was in the shower and I sneezed , I swallowed and there was the click for the first time. It went away but later came back with a sneeze. Now it's there most of the time. Not while eating or drinking tho. aim going to see a dr to find out what they have to say... Any new news with anyone else?
How does no one have a cure for this? IT IS SO ANNOYINGGGG
I have something and going to a dr next week
I like your comment since I have anxiety and the click... Drives me freaking nuts... And I have heartburn. But I take a pill for that
My clicking started 4 days ago. I been struggling with a throat infection for a 3 weeks. Its defiantly a throat infection that caused the clicking.. Now im wondering if it will go away on its own. This really *****. Docs need to fix this problem ASAP. I will pay you $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
okay maybe not that much but. you know...
I am super glad to have found this because I am having a similar problem and was wondering if you have figured this out yet?  I am a female and its very similar to your situation but with a few differences.

I am a 34 year old female and about 9 months ago experienced a "clicking" in my throat.  It only happened once or twice at first when I swallowed and I was not eating or drinking.  It didn't hurt either.  It was lower in the throat and more to my left side.  If I pushed on my throat I could actually feel the click but no lumps or anything.  By this time however it now happens atleast 7 out of 10 times I swallow and this includes eating/drinking or not.  Again, it doesn't hurt per se but by the end of the day if it has happened many times it becomes a little sore akin to a sore muscle.  I also recently noticed that when I would sing ad hit higher notes it would click.  This is now happening every time I sing and go up in pitch.  This led me to the thinking that it could be nodules but I have no other symptoms.  I don't put my vocal cords through any kind of abuse.  I don't sing all the time which is why I didn't notice that till recently (I was singing along to the radio..he!)

Well, I have never posted anything on the internet before (I don't even do facebook or anything) so this was just an attempt to get someone's opinion before I have to go to the doctor for this  Its difficult for me to go the doctor for this because I have other health issues that take up all of my time, money and affect y mobility so I was hoping to get an idea how serious this might be before I make a costly appointment.  
Curious how everyone is doing on this "clicking throat" thread ... I have same issue - 6 weeks now - ENT stumped and made me feel like I was crazy.  Anyone have it go away ? Get any real answers ?
I am 36 yr old female
I too have experienced this for the first time a few months ago. I saw an ENT and they told me that as we get older this can happen. In addition He mentioned if you suffer from neck pain, which I do, that it can cause it.  He also said sometimes our cartilage presses a certain way and this can happen. he examined and felt my neck and looked at my vocal cord with that camera and hose up my nose.. surprising it didn't hurt.  He had me say Hee; and he said everything looked and felt fine. I did find out I have a slight deviated septum and rhinitis.