Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Clicking noise from soft palate?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Clicking noise from soft palate?

Ive been having a problem where my soft palate is making clicking noise whenever i open my mouth and exhale. This also occurs after I'm done saying a sentence. I tried looking in the mirror with my mouth open while exhaling and it seems as though the soft palate is either being slightly "stuck"  or having a prolonged muscle contraction and then relaxing which causes it to click . Does this seem like a neurological problem where the muscle contraction of the soft palate is prolonged? Or is it something else? I've tried googling this problem and I have not seen a single website that could identify what this is.. Please help. It's been going on for a few months and is very annoying especially when having a conversation with someone else...
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Do you have any problems with swallowing? Any lesions affecting the nerves supplying the palate can cause palatal paralysis. This can occur with problems in the brain or cranial nerves. Muscular diseases and Neuromuscular junction diseases (where the end of the nerve meets the muscle) can also cause palatal weakness. So, if your symptoms persist, please consult your primary care physician who will do an initial clinical assessment and then may refer you to a neurologist. Investigations like X rays, NCS, EMG and MRI will help to arrive at a diagnosis for appropriate therapy.  

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.

I do not have problems swallowing, but I do have a history of muscle problems. Note that nothing debilitating has happened to me yet where I am unable to do some sort of activity. However, extensive testing has been done ranging from MRIs, EMGs and multiple blood tests, and they turned out negative. I do not want to go into details of it because obviously that would take so long. Do you really think it's a nerve problem that's causing this clicking noise? Also, don't trust me on saying how my palate has a "prolonged contraction" because I do not know how the muscle of of the soft palate works and that I could just be assuming that it's abnormally contracting but in fact it could be normal... However, what seems to be happening is that whenever I relax the soft palate, it makes a clicking noise on both "corners" of the soft palate where it meets the hard palate. Again, if you do think it's a neurological problem still, let me know ..
So even when i push my tongue against my soft palate, it would make this clicking noise..
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Have you been tested for Myasthenia gravis? Myasthenia gravis is characterized by weakness and rapid fatigue of any of the muscles under your voluntary control. This mostly affects the small muscles of the face. Here the muscle weakness usually improves with rest. It is diagnosed by the edrophonium (Tensilon) test. Discuss these options with your doctor when you happen to meet him next time.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I really just want to know what is causing this clicking noise on my soft palate. Not even sure if M.gravis is relevant to my problem .. regardless I certainly do not have this...
Hi, i too hv quite a similar problem like urz..  whenever i swallow be it food or saliva my soft palate makes crackling, popping and grinding noises,its goin on for 3 mnths ..m tired visiting doctors .. they are jst baffled , plz hlp me.