Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Clicking noise from soft palate?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Clicking noise from soft palate?

Ive been having a problem where my soft palate is making clicking noise whenever i open my mouth and exhale. This also occurs after I'm done saying a sentence. I tried looking in the mirror with my mouth open while exhaling and it seems as though the soft palate is either being slightly "stuck"  or having a prolonged muscle contraction and then relaxing which causes it to click . Does this seem like a neurological problem where the muscle contraction of the soft palate is prolonged? Or is it something else? I've tried googling this problem and I have not seen a single website that could identify what this is.. Please help. It's been going on for a few months and is very annoying especially when having a conversation with someone else...
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Do you have any problems with swallowing? Any lesions affecting the nerves supplying the palate can cause palatal paralysis. This can occur with problems in the brain or cranial nerves. Muscular diseases and Neuromuscular junction diseases (where the end of the nerve meets the muscle) can also cause palatal weakness. So, if your symptoms persist, please consult your primary care physician who will do an initial clinical assessment and then may refer you to a neurologist. Investigations like X rays, NCS, EMG and MRI will help to arrive at a diagnosis for appropriate therapy.  

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Avatar n tn

I do not have problems swallowing, but I do have a history of muscle problems. Note that nothing debilitating has happened to me yet where I am unable to do some sort of activity. However, extensive testing has been done ranging from MRIs, EMGs and multiple blood tests, and they turned out negative. I do not want to go into details of it because obviously that would take so long. Do you really think it's a nerve problem that's causing this clicking noise? Also, don't trust me on saying how my palate has a "prolonged contraction" because I do not know how the muscle of of the soft palate works and that I could just be assuming that it's abnormally contracting but in fact it could be normal... However, what seems to be happening is that whenever I relax the soft palate, it makes a clicking noise on both "corners" of the soft palate where it meets the hard palate. Again, if you do think it's a neurological problem still, let me know ..
Avatar n tn
So even when i push my tongue against my soft palate, it would make this clicking noise..
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Have you been tested for Myasthenia gravis? Myasthenia gravis is characterized by weakness and rapid fatigue of any of the muscles under your voluntary control. This mostly affects the small muscles of the face. Here the muscle weakness usually improves with rest. It is diagnosed by the edrophonium (Tensilon) test. Discuss these options with your doctor when you happen to meet him next time.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Avatar n tn
I really just want to know what is causing this clicking noise on my soft palate. Not even sure if M.gravis is relevant to my problem .. regardless I certainly do not have this...
Hi, i too hv quite a similar problem like urz..  whenever i swallow be it food or saliva my soft palate makes crackling, popping and grinding noises,its goin on for 3 mnths ..m tired visiting doctors .. they are jst baffled , plz hlp me.
Hallo tqtraq,

i have EXACTLY the same problem as you. i have a strong tense of my soft palate since 15 years! i am 33, female and come from germany. i maybe can help you a little bit. also i 'd like to exchange about this disorder with other people. i think, it is a little help, to know, that you are not alone in this wourld with this problem. i hope you receive my message yet. dear greetings, Mary

p.s and yes, it is definitely a neurological problem. in my case, it began with strong mental stress in the past (family). please write me!
Avatar n tn
yeah i feel spaced out and fatigued sometimes. for the last 8 years ive been dealing with this crackling and clicking sound coming from my head it only happens when i move my head or when i press certain areas of my face and head. people around me can sometimes hear it and it freaks them out. when i look in the mirror i can see my soft palate involuntarily raising when i press these areas of my face and head. over all it feels as though i have some sort of pressure build up. I went to a neurologist and he totally dismissed the clicking and told me he believes me to have a chronic post concussion migraine.i dont believe this to be true becuase no one else who i know has a head that makes these sort of noises and my head or life was not always like this Im 30 and have been dealing with this in some formor another since i was 22 i just want my head to be normal again. im thinking it might have something to do with either nerves or sinuses but i have noreal supporting evidence other than the way it feels. doctors dont believe that its sinus related because my face doesnt hurt but i do here clicking behind my nose when i press my face and i do get wierd sensations throught one side of my body (nerves)?
I have a similar thing (amongst far too many other symptoms to list but including muscle problems perhaps like yours) and  I am waiting for an assessment for hypermobility syndrome. Read up on it (here: http://www.dynakids.org/Documents/hypermobility.pdf) For me, it would explain everything. Perhaps things might ring true for you too. Good luck. L x