Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Clicking sound in head when walking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Clicking sound in head when walking

Hello. I've been having this strange clicking sound/feeling around my ears/temples. I'm not really sure where it is coming from. It started sporadically last fall when walking. Each step has a corresponding click. I'm not sure if it's an ENT or Neuro thing, since it doesn't really feel like it is in my ear, but I hear it? (sounds like when you light a lighter.) For the past month or so it has been happening more frequently. It ends up giving me a weird headache and is becoming pretty bothersome. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Perception of abnormal ear or head noises is termed as TINNITUS. Persistent tinnitus usually indicates the presence of sensory hearing loss. Intermittent periods of mild, high-pitched tinnitus lasting for several minutes are common in normal hearing persons. But if there is point tenderness and pain on opening the mouth, your symptoms could be due to temporomandibular (TMJ) joint arthritis. This is the jaw joint and inflammation of this joint can cause pin on opening the mouth and tenderness on palpating behind the ear. If your symptoms persist consu;t your doctor for an evaluation.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I have had ringing in both ears for a couple years, almost daily in the right one for the past couple months. I was diagnosed with vertigo about 3 years ago and they noted central vestibular dysfunction on my ENG (he said we will follow up, but I moved). Should I see ENT or a Neurologist for help?

Also, with jaw pain that radiates down my neck. With my Hashimoto's, joint pain there is imminent, since I already have it all over. I'll talk to my dentist.

Thanks again!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

You should follow up with your ENT specialist, if needed he may refer you to a neurologist. Also, for the Hashimoto's follow up with your doctor. The thyroid status can fluctuate from hyper to hypothyroidism; you could repeat your thyroid profile to know the current status of your thyroid gland. You have to ensure to take your medications regularly and you have to monitor the levels of your thyroid status at least once in three months.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.