Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Clogged Throat Can't Breathe PLEASE HELP

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

I first about noticed about six months ago I felt like I couldn't breathe. I went to the er and they said nothing is wrong. Last month it has come back much worse. I feel like I can't clear my throat and that something is blocking my airways. I have been to the er three times in the past month. It is terrifying to not be able to catch your breath. They keep saying nothing is wrong with me and that enough air is reaching my lungs but since I am an asthmatic I was prescribed a new inhaler and a steroid.  I also just started taking an antibiotic yesterday.

None of this is really helping. I feel like I have post nasal drip because fluid is constantly dripping down the back of my nose and down my throat. I also think it may be acid reflux because I have been feeling a burning in my chest and gagging/vomiting at times. I have to sleep sitting up because I wake up gasping when I try to sleep laying down. Sometimes my ears feel clogged and today I started feeling dizzy. Not to mention the panic attacks that set in when I can't catch my breath which of course make it even harder to breathe. I am so sad that I am crying all the time which also  makes this worse. I don't know what to do. If anyone has any advice at all I would appreciate it. I can't live like this.
Take some Gaviscon liquid for the acid reflux (in case that is the problem), must be liquid as other stuff will dry your throat.  Get a Neilmed Sinus Rinse to rinse mucus out of your sinuses and back of your throat.
Thank you so much I will try it!!!
I so hope you can find out what is causing this problem. I really sympathise with you as I have exact same problem.  Word for word you describe just the same symptoms. It is so frightening. I am so tired of being told it must be my sinuses when sinus medication just makes it worse. I have had it for almost 6 years and at first it would come and go but the last 2 years it is there all the time. It is starting to take over my life. Good luck with it.
hi, i am having some of the same problems, i wish i knew why.
i hope u get better.
lisa
Hi all,

I'm also having this problem. My Pulmonologist suspects VCD(Vocal Cord Dysfunction). I'm being tested today for Asthma, and next week for VCD. It can cause all of the symptoms you listed. I also have LPR(LaryngoPharyngeal Reflux), which is something you may want to have your ENT check out. It's when acid mixed with pepsin comes up into your throat and burns your larynx, pharynx, and vocal cords, and can wreak havoc on your upper airway.
I have had this for about 6 months and it *****...This week  I did blood work and did a complete physical.  They started me on Claratin D today as they said my sinus were severly inflammed and they also prescribed FLONAISE (spelling)  they asked that I take each once a day and this will work well..I took teh Claratin and have not had any of the symptoms today..Its worth a try..feeling dizzy and in a fog all day is the worst