Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Clogged ear feeling after Myringotomy tubes surgery PLEASE HELP

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Three days ago I had myringotomy surgery to put tubes in both of my ears. The reason for this was not because of any problems other than when I fly. My ENT assured me that it was a very simple proceedure with no recovery time. She said it was as easy as "getting your ears pierced."

Well, since that proceedure, my left ear has been fine. However the right ear feels extraordinarily clogged, as if there's cotton plugged inside of it or as if it needs to pop. I can hear my voice echo in my head and chewing is awful sounding. Even brusing my hair echos like crazy.

This started immediately after the surgery and I told the doctor about it (I even asked her if my ear was stuffed with cotton) and she told me that I was probably just hearing sounds better because of the tube and that "I'd get used to it." No way you can get used to this. I even waited in the waiting room to see if it would subside, and when it didn't, I asked a nurse who asked a different doctor who said that he guessed it was just the numbing drops and it should wear off within an hour.

Three days later, the problem is still there. There is some pain, but that's not the biggest issue...it's the clogged feeling and sound distortion. It's so annoying. And the doctors won't even talk to me...I keep getting passed to nurses who don't know anything.

Finally, I went yesterday to my GP and he said that I had a hematoma on my right ear. He was afraid to do anything because he didn't know what was going on behind the tube, maybe a clot?

And to make all of this worse, I got this proceedure done ONLY because I needed to fly in 7 days. I was assured that it would be no problem and make flying completely pain-free. Now I don't even know if I can go on my trip because I don't know if that tube is clogged or what. And no one will even SEE me at the place where I got the proceedure done (supposedly one of the best in the country). They didn't even schedule me for a follow-up appointment.

To say that I'm irritated and uncomfortable is putting it mildly. If anyone has ANY information or similar stories on this, please please please respond. I would be totally okay if I knew this was normal, but I can't find a description of this anywhere and I don't know what else to do.

PLEASE HELP!

Many thanks in advance.

Amber
oh my gosh, I am having the same experience!  I am terrified and even have ringing in my ears.  I am going to another doc tomorrow to see if I can get the tubes removed.
Please let me know what happened to you!  Did this resolve?
i feel like that all the time but i dont have tubes in my ear....i talked to docter's about it and they said that it is because i have water in my ear  and bad sinus but it go's away and comes back so i would give it a like 5 week's because that is what mine stays for and dont let any water get in your ears because they will feel alot more clogged if you do and if it wont go away i would try a law suit next....god luck to you and i hope you feel batter.........or you get a nice payday coming in...
I am going through the same exact thing. It has been one week so far and right ear still feels "clogged". I am just wondering how this turned out for you.... please respond!
wow, i got my pe tubes in also and a couple days later my left ear started getting clogged. I thought it would go away and it did but came back the next day or so. I went to the clinic to see if i had an infection or something and he told me i was fine that i didnt need any drops or anything. i didnt know what to say and hoped it get better so i left. now im just real frustrated that my left ear feels clogged and that i cant hear out if it clearly. this *****... can you give me a follow up on your story please i would appreciate it....p.s. I know it a old post sorry but i nead help...
Did this go away, I am on day two and my ear feels clogged. Not as bad as yesterday but still there. WHat happened with you? Is this feeling normal. I thought I would be able to hear asap.
Hi!!  Help me, too please!!!  I had a tube put in my left ear one year ago and though for the most part everything is fine, every now and then it feels like the tube is "loose" and a hear echos inside my head, I feel evry sensitive to sound and can almost feel the rumbles and vibrations of the noise as well (which is a real ***** while you're driving!) and if I press that small flap thing into my ear it SQUEAKS!!  It squeaks and others can hear it!!  WTF!!  PLease had this happened to anybody else?!?!?  
same here awful! Had clogged feeling before tubes now tubes out still there. All noise echo's in my head mostly the sound of my own voice! Loud music, voices are a killler yet still clogged.
Seeing yet another specialist next week,
Anyone get answers or find relief?
I am having the same thing.  So, I used my flonase and that helped. but it keeps clogging going to the doctors today.  I am glad I am not alone. Sounds like the norm.  UGGG!  
I am 11 days post tube insertion for ETD following a bad sinus infection almost a year ago, went to my ENT for my post op visit....I feel worse then prior to surgery.  Clogged and pressure he looked in my ears did a hearing and ear pressure test....everything is "normal'...well maybe on paper but I feel like crap......he said maybe they are still healing and gave me a Medrol dose pack...............very upsetting... (I m 49 yo)
I had a myringotomy procedure done 2 days ago after 46 years of chronic ear infections.  I also have enlarged adenoids (adenoids).  My left is fine but my right ear feels really terrible.  Pain like what you get when you have a bad middle ear infection, even my mastoid bone is throbbing, also feels as though my ear is full of water????.  I may also be running a tempreture...time to go back to the hospital me thinks....has anyone had a similair experience??
hi...did you heal your problem?...i have the same problem 1 day ago after the procedure...thanks
anyone have any updates?  This seems to be pretty common after a myringotmy but no one has updated whether they are better or not.

I am going through this right now.  2 days post op but my ear was clogged on Sat night 3 days before surgery.  My reason for surgery was a turbinate reduction but the doc said he would go ahead and drain my ear as well.  It still feels the same without the added fluid in there.

I have had this happen to me twice.  When I was about 20 I had a myringotmy done and I remember being plugged for at least a week post incision.  The second time was in 2010 and my ear just clogged and stayed that way for about 5 weeks.  Our next step was a myringotmy but we never got there.  My ear finally went back to normal.

After reading these posts and my own experience I  have a feeling this happens and it just takes time for the plugging feeling to go away.

If anyone that previously posted has updates I would love to see them.