Complete loss of smell and taste.. HELP!
Hi, recently I had a sinus infection.. I assume that is what it was because I was having pains in the corners of my eyes and all that.. Well, ever since then which has been about 4 to 5 days ago I have NO sense of smell at all. I can't even smell strong odors even slightly like mouth wash and perfumes directly sprayed on my skin.. I can't taste anything either.. I can tell if its sweet or bitter or salty just cant taste it.. My nose is not stuffy or runny at all and that is what is concerning me the most.. I have had a loss of smell and taste but its always been due to a runny nose and this time I can breath out of my nose fine.. I don't have a cough but everyone tells me I sound a little congested.. Just wondering what might be going on and if I will EVER get my sense of smell back again.. This is horrible not being able to taste or smell.. What are some meds I can take? I have been using some nasal spray for sinuses and taking this tylenol stuff for colds... Thanks
What kind of nasal spray are you using?  Afrin, by any chance?
The nasal spray is by Perrigo? It just says nasal spray and its for sinus's it says.. I have been using that, I was using Tylenol Cold Multi-Symptom Severe and I am now using Sudafed Triple Action and I am STILL not able to smell or taste anything but my nose is completly clear. I am thinking if I don't get better by wensday I am making a dr appointment although that is the LAST thing I wanted to do with no insurance
No alarm on the nasal spray.  Several people on this forum and elsewhere have reported loss of smell and taste using Afrin or Zicam.

Your olfactories may have been damaged by a sinus infection, but not necessarily so.  I'd recommend going straight to an ENT.  It could just be an infection of the upper sinuses that is blocking the passages to the olfactories.  I had that problem more than once, and finally cured it with the Flip-Turn Sinus Flush.

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2322

The Flip-Turn Sinus Flush is mildly risky, because you have to bend over to do it, preferably in a shower, but you can also do it outside on soft ground.

I do not recommend the flush until you have seen a doctor, because the problem could be something different, better or worse than a sinus infection.  I only recommend it after you have seen a doctor, and if his or her treatment doesn't work.