Constant Ear Popping
For the past couple of years, I've had a constant popping/crackling in my ears.  I hear it when I swallow, yawn, etc.  I went to the ENT and he did a tympanometry test that came back normal, but said the he could hear the crackling when he listened in my ears.  There may be a problem with my Eustacian tube or, better yet, the muscles behind it.  He said there isn't much to do but maybe try an antihistamine which hasn't worked.  Even though its not life-threatening, its very frustrating to live with this!  Is there anything else, at all, to do to get rid of this noise?
My ears pop too, but I think it's because I'm under a lot of stress and my muscles get really tense beginning with my calves and moving up my back to my neck and even around to my face. This also causes e to get a stuffy nose and migraine headaches. It helps when I have people walk on my back an massage the back of my head and my neck.
omg ! we experience the very same thing ! the doctors cant find out whats wrong with me ive had this since i was 10 i am now 17 ! its horrible i tell ya . i wonder why nothing works
           Lipo-Flavonoid Plus

I found this at walmart, i'm trying it now, so I don't know if it works yet, but i'm willing to try.
I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way as I've dealt with my left ear popping on and off for a few years now and it got worse when I had an infection deep beneath the root of my tooth which probably spread near my ear.  The ear popping got worse this year as I was quite stressed at work and led on to vertigo.   Even when just talking to people or singing or going up and down the lifts or driving in my car triggers my left ear popping for no reason.  Gets even worse when I'm weak or having my period.
Doctor sent me for Cat Scan and it came out clear thankfully and she diagnosed that it's probably related to sinusitis and provided referral to ENT.  Also had a tympanometry test which the audiologist said there may be fluid in my middle ear but ENT dismissed it. Chiropractor found that the tension in my neck and shoulders was attibuted to misalignment of my neck possibly from a whiplash I experienced from an accident many years ago.  Chiro prescribed sessions 3 times a week which helped.  In addition, what's been working for me is ehinacea/horseradish/garlic/zinc tablets for sinusitis, iron & folic acid tablets for my vertigo and resistance to pressure changes and immunity, and exercise (what I enjoy like walking and yoga and dancing so it's not adding further stress to my daily life).  I stayed away from high impact exercises like body attack and resistance training like body pump as it added tension to my neck and shoulders area and subsequently added stress and worsen the ear popping episodes.  
HI John,

I am having the same problem you are describing. I was wondering if you have been able to find a solution?

Kind Regards,

Paul  
I' ve had the same popping in the ears problem for about 2 years now. Like some others have said, I think it has to do with the spine and neck not being aligned. Someone also mentioned meditation and positive thinking and I believe that to be true.

I haven't healed completely but have notice great improvements. Here is what worked for me.

Daily meditation. focus on the breath for 20 minutes to 45 minutes a day (even 15 minutes will be helpful)

positive thoughts and affirmations. during meditation or just throughout the day tell yourself that your ears don't pop and that you are healthy and truly believe it.

Practice qigong/tai chi/ or yoga

Some westerners may look at these eastern medicine techniques and think its all bull, but its worked for centuries. Have an open mind and give it a try. It's not an overnight fix, it takes time and patience, but its worth it. I've gone a day or two at time without popping and will keep at it until I'm completely healed. You all have the healing power within you. Good luck everyone! I know how annoying this can be.
I am 30 and was going crazy by the constant ear popping, I tried something very simple for relief from this. Text me at 6785109032 and I'll share what I did.
I'm having it now.  Had it several times before usually when I awake.  Then for awhile, when there is sudden noise or air passing, it begins sounding like popcorn in a microwave.  Then it goes away most of the day.  It's strange because it's the middle of the afternoon and I'm having it.  I've had this, as far as I can remember, for about 4 years off and on.  I'm accustomed to it although it is annoying.  What usually brings some relief for me is sticking my finger in my left ear, for that's the one that does this, and eventually it stops.  Also, I've had times when I could hear the blood flowing in the same ear and learned it was due to the large blood vessels close by.  Annoying, yes, but if I'm involved, not a problem.  
Hi Guys,

I tried raw-unfiltered honey and the popping in my right ear (where I have it the most) has reduced by a lot!. I highly recommend trying raw honey it does helps to reduce the popping (and improves your health overall!) I been using it only for couple days now and so far I am impressed with the results. I am also going to buy something for candida. I am pretty sure the popping has also to do with having candida growing in your body, particularly in your mouth.

I hope this helps! I been suffering with this for almost 4 years now! I am finally seeing hope!  

best wishes to all of you

Paul
Has anyone, other than Diane Taylor (dianetaylor) had Eustachian Tube Dilation?

It sounds as if it may have promise with this condition,,,haven't yet looked into it, but will very soon...

Robert
Very interesting topic we have here, with a lot of good advice too.. I'm a 21-year old male who has recently given up a very unhealthy lifestyle. For the past 6-8 months, with steadily increasing ferocity, my ears and head pressure have given me problems with no let up. By that I'm meaning having to force my ears to pop every 30 seconds or so, and every time I swallow. After seeing 4 ENTs over 3 different countries (I was travelling at the time) the general consensus was to use a decongestant, nasal spray and do regular inhalations morning and evening. To my dismay, the steam and medicines didn't really help at all, but it's getting better and better the more I exercise and watch my diet.

The ABSOLUTE WORST thing you can do when suffering with this is to force your ears to pop, either by pinching your nose or moving your jaw creating the few sacred minutes of relief. All that happens is this becomes necessity - having to pop your ears forcibly more and more often - and eventually the ear drum is damaged irreversibly. Picture a drum skin on a snare drum perhaps, with enough adjusting the skin is going to get frail and damaged, which is exactly what happens to your ear drum.

So, my advice to anyone who's reading this is to get checked by a doctor, and if they find nothing seriously untoward (like they didn't with me) your best bet is to start living a more healthy lifestyle. Mine seemingly stemmed from a nasty acid reflux problem. Try forget about it, and it'll eventually go away. The best thing for now is for you to know that you aren't alone going through this daily hell inside your head, and there is a solution.

Oh, and a medicine called pan-d for acid reflux does the trick.
You're not a hypochondriac, as that is pretty much what I've been dealing with for the past few months.  Went to an ENT today because even though it has gotten much better, it is still persisting.  The ENT however seemed like he didn't have a clue and just wanted to charge me a bunch of money.  Mine has been slowly getting better over the past few months by being as calm as possible and listening to 'new age' and Tibetan buddhist type music for healing and meditation.  As it was the constant bad sound of harleys that hurt me, I figured some calming good sounds may help, and they have way more than a trip to the ENT did.  I guess all the prayers have helped as well. :).  I'm just glad I saw through his BS, and didn't let them put me through the ringer.  Blessings of good health to all those so out of it, they had to come this site for their ears.
Jubal; et al, it was amazing to me, when I was making a series of consults with ENTs several years ago, that they actually had NO clue as to what to do for me....it seems to be a hugely common lament from those who suffer from this thing...

I can provide only my own experience...that it can get better over time...the problem is being able to identify what the root cause might be:

Either it's Eustachian Tube DYSFUNCTION (Patency of the ET)
Or it's due to ET DISORDER (ET Blockage)
or BOTH at the SAME TIME!

Robert E. Yorke
Correction to what I posted above:

Patulous Eustachian Tube DISORDER is ET patency
Eustachian Tube DYSFUNCTION is ET blockage...

Please forgive my errors....

Robert
Tons of people have same problem, I think this is environmental. I had started having this problem in the fall and winter, in summer it goes away.  I had this exact same ear popping noise last winter as well, it does drive people insane in a quiet environment, it is better keep ear engaged with tons of other noises such as music, TV and so on.

IM GOING CRAZY!! CANT BELIEVE SO MANY PEOPLE SUFFER FROM EAR POPPING!! PLEASE HELP IF ANYONE KNOWS ANYTHING THAT DEFINATELY WORKS!! i have been suffering for 3 years now everytime i swollow both ears pop its making me feel dizzy not myself and im im sure its causing anxiety and im always sleepy!! im going to try all your information on curing it i am currently going back and forth from the hospital and not getting any further :(((!!!! please help!!!
what did you use for your acid reflux?
i have had the same for a number of years...  but i've also had jaw issues that were affecting my voice.  I started wearing a mouth guard to fix my occlusion issues in my jaw and when i wear it the clicking goes away.  As soon as it is out the clicking comes back.

I'm not saying this is the problem for all of you but it may be that some of you are experiencing these issues due to imbalances in your jaw/muscles on the side of your head.
Lets all meet up with our popping problem lol , no but seriously ive had this for around 8 years ,i feel a fool when i have to hold my nose and sniff hard to get my ears back to normal in town or out and about!! so embarrasing :(
I had a CT done of my sinuses and it showed all clear except for some very minor issues in the ethymoid sinuses. My ear problems persist. Did not;help me much, but you may get a different result.
All,

I have posted in here before and I have found something that truly helps. Please, try chamomile tea with some raw honey on it you will see a HUGE difference!.  

I have noticed that the popping has definitely something to do with the fluid that some of you have mentioned before. This type of sinus fluid gets stuck somewhere between your nose and throat making your ears pop like crazy.

I live in Denver CO and the weather in here is not the best for those who suffer from this condition, it is too dry. When I go to more humid places the popping stops due the the fact the fluid can more easily get out (because of the humidity).

I will continue posting here as I learn more about condition. Please try chamomile tea!!! it will help you a lot

Best wishes

Paul
hey

I have the same issue with my ears. do you want to talk about and see what both can do about it? I have found a couple things that truly help to reduce the popping.

let me know!

Paul
I have been having the same issues for over a year now.  My ears are constantly plugging up, popping and I have to yawn or keep opening my mouth real wide to open them up.  I have been to Oral surgeon, they said small arthritis on one side of my jaw but nothing major.  The ENT said no idea either but think ear tubes might help regulate them.  I had them when I was kid (many years ago).  Was wondering if anyone had tried the tubes in the ear and they helped??  It is exhausting to go through this all the time.  
For the past 3 years, my issue came on acute (meaning all of a sudden), I use to live a very normal life, on the verge of going Air Force Pararescue, I'm currently in Federal Law Enforcement.  Anyways, I was living my life normally, at times I usually got more sick or I got more colds than the average person but for all means I never had ear issues or serious/bothersome health problems.  One day I get a cold, 3 years ago, and it never went away, I'm in my 30's, late 30's, time is of the essence, ever since that fate full day my life has been on hold it seems.  I get chronic Eustachian tube dysfunction, rhinitis.  The symptoms I get are mainly pressure behind my right ear drum, constant ear popping when I swallow, a sensation of itching in my ear, if that's not going on the inflammation of my nasal tissue, mainly in my Right nasal passage, a irritation, stinging feeling rotates from my left to right nostril but mainly starts out on my Right side. During the last 3 years I had about 10 days of continuous normalcy once, one of the allergist I was seeing put me on prednisone but it only worked for a few days, after that the symptoms where back.  I have children, these issue have completely frustrated my sense of freedom and at times has taken.......well many times taken away quality time with my love ones.  I have literally seen 14 different Ear Nose and Throat doctors (ENT's), 3 different allergist, I've traveled to San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Tucson, Phoenix, Scottsdale, half of the ENT's would recommend me to see another ENT, I've been to the Mayo clinic in Scottsdale....(Highly Disappointed...HIGHLY DISAPOINTED, I saw a Sinus Specialist who did absolutely nothing but over charge me and left me with a huge bill) I've had balloon sinuplasty, that was a disaster...turned out my sinuses are not the problem, I had a ear tube in my bothersome ear, that turned out to be a bigger disaster because the doctor blew out my ear drum.  I've been on Immunotherapy, that's hasn't done anything....I've lost so much faith in the medical community, we have made so much advancements as a society but yet we cant get things you would think could be fix able down.  Anyways, I might get balloon Eustachian tubeboplasty, that is a newer procedure that is not FDA approved but im running out of options to get back to being normal, Ballon-Eustachina tubeoplasty is a catheter placed in your Eustachian tube and is dilated , it suppose to cure Eustachian tube problems, but though the 40+ nasal endoscopy my Eustachian tube looks dilated, I don't know, I'm running out of money and patience, so...Imma go see one more doctor and if this doesn't work out....Im just gonna drink a beer, chew some tobacco and say screw it....If I'm stuck I'm stuck...and I guess I'm gonna have to live with this crap, this aint going away and its frustrating as hell.  BUT out of the 25 plus docs I have seen, the very few doctors that actually put time and effort into patient care, even though they have not fixed me they might be able to fix someone on this blog.... DOCTOR JHON MACIAS OF PHOENIX, ENT----he can repair any ear drum, he is a marvelous  surgeon, AND DOCTOR BRIAN WEEKS OF SAN DIEGO---he is the guy that offers Eustachian tubeoplasty, great guy and spends quality time...., AND FROM AN ALLERGIST PERSPECTIVE, DR. MARK SHULBERT OF PHOENIX ....awesome guy, he really tries, with him I actually got some relief, and he has honestly tried to figure my problems out.  AND DR GEORGE MAKOL OF TUCSON, on a side note, don't waste your time with the MAYO CLINIC.  
I was unable to find y our post regarding the results of your MRI. I have the same symptoms you reported back in 2009. Did you get relief from the ear popping and vertigo, dizziness? If so, how did you get relief? Did they find a cause?
Anybody have the feeling of air trapped in front of ears And sides of throat and hear constant crackling of the pressure reliving itself? When I pull my ear or face hard, I hear a "speak" like letting air out of a balloon. It feels. better for a sec but then pressure comes back..been to 15 docs..I've taken all tests .everything normal (sorry if I posted this twice)
Man oh man. I've experienced this on and off as a kid growing up in L.A. then about five years ago made the move to Austin Tx and it got progressivley worse. for the last two years, I haven't had one solid week of normalcy. I'm 36 now, graduated college almost 20 years ago and decided to go back. I applied to UT Law to help patience as a patient advocate but while I was taking my LSAT, my ears completely closed up. I couldnt think, couldn't concentrate, I wouldnt know my own name if you asked me then. It is truly truly maddening.
Was eating my lunch the other day when it acted up, bad enough to where I could only hear my own voice echoing in my head. For no reason, I threw away my lunch. I was starving but that's how much it interferes with my concentration.

It does give me solice to know I'm not alone but as others have said, it's also discouraging. I kept telling myself it would go away but after the first year i finally went to an ENT. Same exact story. When I explained how it's driving me nuts how I didn't get the grade I knew I was able to get on my law school exam (didn't get into law school either), after two tries cuz of this, his response "well you're an adult and you need to just deal with it cuz that's what everyone else does. Grow up" he says with a laugh. "Here's some steroids, why don't you see me again in three weeks". I wanted to attack him there and then.

As so many have articulated, it's ruining our quality of life. I'm trying really hard to focus elsewhere, stay positive but I'll be honest, I have little use for the "find you chakra, your inner spirit animal, take some b-12 and sprinkle dried chinese lizard on your big toe, it really works" folks.
It doesn't. It's a medical problem and where positive focus might help cope with the problem, it doesn't deal with the problem. Obviously not for many of us. This is a physical problem with a physical cause and a physical answer. I'm open to, and am working on improving diet, exercising etc, i do yoga on and off but right now the only repieve comes from contorting my jaw like a cobra about to swallow a rat and go for that momentary peace.

My girlfriend is an angel but I know im not fun to be around when it gets bad. I'm a considerate individual but I see red when the irritation becomes too much to bear. Doctors are useless so I personally vow to spend what time I can researching this and sharing whatever I can. I lost two jobs that required use of a headset, the most recent being my job at the American Cancer Society where I would take calls answering health and medically related questions for cancer patients. lost that job cuz of this after three years. it's ruining my life. oh YAY YES!!!! it just popped open. Oh please let this one last an hour.
I'm going to get a prescription for the ear popper to see how that works. I just got laid off from a non profit job, so you know I'm impoverished but at this point I'm willing to shell over $300 if it works. just one more day like this is one too many. I did try the flonaise just a half hour ago and i think its working somewhat. Both my ears were fully clogged up, but as I just extoled, the left popped open just now.
anyhow. thank you all for the solidarity. I wish you all the best and will be around as often as i can.
I had the same experience as you a few months ago.  Slap to the head, causing a 4-mm eardrum perforation.  The perforation closed in about two months ago, but I'm now plagued with crackling, clicking and popping every time I swallow.  Two ENT docs thought I was crazy when I explained this to them.  The third, fortunately, agreed with me that it's likely the new tissue simply hasn't regained any real tensile strength yet (more vibrations = more sound).  I hope this is the case and that I'm not plagued with this the rest of my life.  Can you update me on your condition?  -***@****
I had a very bad sinus infection a few weeks ago, and after I came out the other side, I had popping in my right ear.  I had never experienced this before.  It did not go along with my heartbeat, got worse in the evening and especially was worse/noticeable when I would lie down to sleep.  I was pretty disheartened when I found this forum and read all the posts about people with this problem who had been to doctors and/or tried various things and still had the problem...some for years!  I just wanted to let you know that after reading one of the posts about putting vinegar in the ear, I thought it wouldn't hurt to try.  I poured apple cider vinegar in my ear and stopped it up with a cotton ball, straightened up and left it for a few minutes, then tilted my head over the sink and let it drain back out.  I noticed the room was spinning after I stood back up, so I went and sat down.  After a few minutes I was fine.  NO POPPING ever since!  I don't know how it worked, but it did!!!  I don''t know if any fluid poured in the ear (peroxide, oil, etc) would have worked the same, or if it was the vinegar specifically.
Thank you so much, stuffsie, for posting.  I'll try the vinegar.  I believe that my issue has more to do, though, with the fact that my perforation was large (4 mm) and yet still closed in on its own.  I've read that the maturation phase of eardrum healing can take up to 6 months (even a year).  I am more distressed with the crackling/crunching sound in that ear rather than the popping.  No fluid in the middle ear means it pops.  Any kind of fluid behind the drum and it's a deafening crackle/crunch.  I don't ever get sinus infections.  I'll try the vinegar, as you suggested.  Please, if you know anyone with a similar issue, post again as soon as possible.  I assume it's an eardrum issue and not a middle ear bone issue, but I could be wrong.  The crackling/crunching in that damaged (yet healed) ear is deafening and causes me a great deal of anxiety whenever I swallow.

Chris
Have you heard of TMJ? Temporomandibular Joint Disorder /  temporomandibular disorders (TMD)? I saw an ENT Specialist and he said I have TMJ, Rhinitis and a deviated septum. I think / assume one or all of these are the cause of it.  Your temporomandibular joint is a hinge that connects your jaw to the temporal bones of your skull, which are in front of each ear.  It lets you move your jaw up and down and side to side, so you can talk, chew, and yawn. He told me that the constant popping of this joint is interpreted by our brains as "Ear Pain."  But I'm pretty sure I'm not crazy and this definitely seems like Ear Pain. It feels like the worst airplane ride of my life as far as ear pressure, 24/7. I desperately wish I could just "Pop" my ear like you do after a plane ride....you know that REALLY good pop that's like an explosion of awesomeness, yet painful, that finally clears the pressure and you feel normal again? I so desperately want that to happen and be normal again. It can be caused by Grinding or clenching your teeth (Bruxism, which he said I also have), which puts a lot of pressure on the joint. I started using a night guard ($30 at walmart) but chewed the hell out of it. I think it did help for a while. Need to start using it again to see if it does keep me from having pain because it's so horrible it gives me a headache. I feel like it's almost an OCD I can't control or stop myself from popping it constantly, or maybe I'm not really trying to? I don't know, all I know is it's maddening!!! Anyways, hopefully that was helpful to someone. Definitely see an ENT, ask about TMJ / TMD and Bruxism.
I tried both at the same time and it did not help me but I have constant popping everytime I swallow among many other ear issues. every person is different. I would give it a try but unfortunatley it didnt work for me. I was given a low dose of steroids I think though for only a week. I read that the recommended dose is supposed to be higher than what I was given. Maybe I wouldnt be still dizzy 24/7 literally and have ear popping if I was given a higher dose. Dunno.
Hi all: to anyone reading this in 2015 or later, there is now a Facebook group for people struggling with similar issues. Please join and share your stories of success (or lack thereof!)  It's called "EAR POPPING CLICKING EUSTACHIAN TUBE SUPPORT GROUP."  Best of luck.
My left ear problem happened early in my life with liquid rushing out; causing a hospital visit, and weeks sleeping under a humidifier with Epson Salts, perhaps years from time to time I can't recall, but the problem ended. It has now returned without the liquid amen, but the sudden on and off deafness is unbearable. With decades of stress and injuries I fear that I could develop a brain tumor. My plan is to simplify my investments, and return to the humidifier.
Well, I will add myself to the growing list of never ending ear popping. First off, I can hear, so at least that is good. I know the exact day this started, I had a 3 hour flight and my ears never stopped popping, every time I swallow or yawn. It has not gone away. Have had a hearing and balance test, have gone to an ear specialist, have tried decongestants, flonase, mucinex (disgusting stuff), all to no avail. My cheeks also hurt as a result of this and sometimes my teeth do as well. I also get dizzy a bit more. I used to have TMJ issues like 20 years ago but I do not have the jaw clicking or grinding or those issues so I do not think its due to that but obviously its hard to know for 100% certainty as its all in the same area. So, its been 3 months and a week and counting. My ENT doctor recommended a tube in my ear but it seemed that this course would offer no relief as my ear pressure was fine so it seemed unnecessary (and reinforced by a few comments here in this thread). So, hoping this gets better some day but not having a lot of faith reading this thread right now.
Lol, 8 year old thread.

I have the same popping, dizzying sensation for 3 years now. No doctor could've helped so far. I'm afraid this is here to stay.
Based on what I've read from the comments, this problem is caused from multiple ear infections. Is there anything that can cause it?! I've never had an ear infection! Been dealing with this in BOTH ears for 2 years now. Needless to say, it's extremely annoying. My husband gets aggravated because I'm constantly asking him to repeat everything he says.
I've had this for 4 years.... Been through 6 ents
I've had chronic ear popping for years. It started after I got a middle ear infection when I was a kid. It never went away. The good thing is I don't think it is life threatening, as I probably had it since I was 7 or 8 (when I got the ear infection) and now I am 36. Went to doctors over the years and one said eustachian tube dysfunction. ENT specialist looked at it and checked my hearing and said no harm done to anything so don't worry about it. I've lived with this constant ear popping for so long that I'm just used to it. Doesn't really bother my quality of life. Yes it happens everytime i swallow, yawn. I can even make it pop by pushing air from the back of my throat. and I feel the air going in to the middle ear. Its a bit weird but doesnt appear to do any harm. Anyhow docs don't really suggest doing anything about it so I'm fine living with it.

Wanted to add to my original post. Anyone know if people with chronic ear popping should use nasal irrigation? nasal rinses?

My doctor suggested me to use it for my allergies, but since I have this chronic ear issue I don't think thats a good idea. Any experiences or thoughts?
Does anybody feel they just have air trapped inside the ear/jaw/ throat area Even though you know there's nothing wrong with the ear? All tests of mine have come out normal, even got a tube put in which didn't help..
I seriously think more research needs to be done to solve people's ear popping issues. It beats me as to how in this day and age with the technology available doctors can't solve our ear popping problems. This isn't some mysterious disease, there just seems to be a solution to the cause of the popping.
Once the cause is found, there should be a suitable treatment.
HELLO EVERY1, I READ ALL OF THE POSTS, AND I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEMS ALSO, I HAVE SINUSITIS, FOR ABOUT 25 YEARS, AND BOTH MY EARS POPS ALSO. MY DOCTORS GAVE ME ALL KIND OF MEDS, NOTHING WORKS, I DISCOVER, EVERY TIME I LEAVE THE STATE OF VA, TO GO TO DELAWARE, MY POPPING STOPS, MY NOSE CLEARS UP, AND WHEN I COME BACK TO VA, IT ALL STARTS UP AGAIN. SO I TRAVEL TO DELAWARE ABOUT 3 TIMES A MONTH, EVERYTHING CLEARS UP. I COME BACK TO VA IN THIS DIRTY AIR WE BREATHE, HAS A LOT TO DO WITH MY SINUS AND POPPING EARS. I PROMISE I AM TELLING THE TRUTH, I WIS I CAN AFFORD TO MOVE TO DELAWARE, BUT I CAN'T, SO I GO AS MUCH AS I CAN JUST TO GET RELIEF. I'M SITTING IN MY HOME RIGHT NOW LISTENING TO MY POPPING EARS. DRIVING ME CRAZY. I WILL BE GOING TO DELAWARE NEXT WEEK FOR 2 DAYS, IT'S IN THE AIR WE BREATHE, THE AIR IS DIFFERENT IN SOME STATES. THINK ABOUT IT. IT'S  THE POLLUTION,IN OUR AIR. THAT CAUSES SINUS PROBLEM IN SOME PEOPLE LIKE ME,JUST THINK ABOUT IT. AND SEE IF IT MAKES SENSE TO YOU.
I can live with this but am shocked that there is no answer, OMG! This started for me in Aug 2015 after a flight, in a storm, from Charlotte NC to DC. I got off of the plane and sat down in the first available seat in the terminal. Both ear drums (?) felt like they were being sucked together into the center of my head and were about to snap. It was bazaar. I could barely hear the activity around me. I kept swallowing and after an hour or so it got somewhat better but never normal.  Six days later, I was in the emergency room with vertigo. I was prescribed a nasal spray, "Fluticasone Propionate". It kind of helps, temporarily. Based on all of the posts, seems there's no point in going to an  ENT. That was my next move. Oh well.
I have had constant popping for about a year.  Everytime I yawned, sang, swallowed, I had my ears popped.  It ruined my life, at work, in stressful situations, or even just talking to friends.  I tried everything olive oil, sinus surgery: acupuncture, but nothing work. UNTIL my ENT suggested to but PET tubes in my ear.  It has been over 3 months with not a singe pop.  Finally, I can go ahead with my life knowing that a pop will not occur in this conversation, or in any conversation in the future.
I've had near constant popping on swallowing in my right ear for several months after a prolonged, probably viral middle ear infection.  It's been driving me totally nuts, unable to sleep most nights. I can stop it for a few minutes by valsalva maneuver, inflating the middle, holding it that way for a minute, then deflating.  This is supposed to push fluid out.  The popping does have wet sound to it.  Sitting or lying, regardless of position, makes it worse.  If I walk, valsalva a few times, it will usually disappear for as long as I stay on my feet, moving.  Once I sit, the popping resumes in a minute or two.  It's been 5 months since the ear infection started.  That took a few months to clear, but was replaced by the popping.  I started to think the popping was getting better, but I've just become more adept at clearing it temporarily.  Nothing works consistently but walking with valsalva.  I am a persistent SOB, so I keep trying things.  Sinus rinses, Earadicator (a remedy a lady developed that is primarily a nasal rinse with decongestant added), high dose steroids, decongestants, antihistamines, camomile tea with local honey, Otovent, Eardoc (vibrator), steam vaporizer.  None have done much for me.  It's as if my middle ear is producing fluid and although it largely drains (fluid behind my ear drums cleared long ago) a bit of it remains at the end of the eustachian tube and causes the popping with the slightest swallow or movement of tongue against the back of my throat.  The valsalva works by forcing air into the middle ear which rises above the fluid and forces it out.  But nothing I do but walking seems to keep it from returning within minutes.  Very frustrating.  My ENT so far says to just continue the nasal steroids, valsalva.
Let me emphasize that walking briskly, along with a few valsalva maneuvers will clear my ear popping for as long as I continue to walk.  When I do the valsalva, inflating the middle ear, I leave it in the inflated ate for a couple of minutes, giving time for the air to rise above the fluid.  Then when it deflates the fluid is pushed out. A few of those, and the popping stops.  Well, today, all I had to do was start walking, no valsalva, and the popping would stop for as long as I walked.  That's an improvement.  Still, a few minutes after I sit down, it starts popping.  Wow, is this odd.
This is a third post in a row for me.  As noted above I've been struggling with ear popping since I had a prolonged episode of serous otitis media 5 months ago.  The popping abates when walking only to return as soon as I sit or lie down.  Although valsalva seems to help, it rarely does so when sitting or lying.  I just discovered tonight that SWALLOWING WHILE PINCHING MY NOSE CLOSED, called the Toynbee maneuver, will more consistently clear the popping when sitting or lying for at least a few minutes.  This does the opposite of the the Valsalva maneuver.  It's not 100% reliable, but it does have some positive effect.  I don't understand why walking is so beneficial, although short-lived after the walk is completed, while sitting aggravates the popping.  I'm going back to my ENT in 2 days.
I tried pushing out my middle ear by forcing pressure. Why did the room start spinning? Also the room spins when sitting down or standing up. Any ideas?
How much do you eat each day?