Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Constant Ear Popping

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Constant Ear Popping

For the past couple of years, I've had a constant popping/crackling in my ears.  I hear it when I swallow, yawn, etc.  I went to the ENT and he did a tympanometry test that came back normal, but said the he could hear the crackling when he listened in my ears.  There may be a problem with my Eustacian tube or, better yet, the muscles behind it.  He said there isn't much to do but maybe try an antihistamine which hasn't worked.  Even though its not life-threatening, its very frustrating to live with this!  Is there anything else, at all, to do to get rid of this noise?
try sudaphedrine 30 mg every 4-6 hours. it works really good at drying up fluid in the sinuses. Best of luck to you.
I have exactly the sam problem.  I have lived with it since I was 15.  Now I'm 21.  It drives me crazy.  Constantly blocked and popping ears.  The doctors and specialists have found nothing wrong.  no fluid, no ear wax.   I have tried sudaphedrine and antihistamines, along with a lot of other things.  Can anyone help?
I have this constant popping and I have had it for 12 years. I can't think of anything for days but this constant popping. I have gone to many ENT's and they have done nothing fo rme but take out my tonsils and adenoids (adenoids). I have been suffering for years now and I can't stand it. It is enough to make you go crazy....please help!!!!!
I have had this problem for 18 years. My doctor prescribed Seldane D after testing for various allergies and that helped a little but now it's off the market. A few years ago I went to a chiropracter on a complimentary pass and she said the tension in my neck could be causing this. I also have high ocular pressure in my eyes and get headaches. I definitely understand how frustrating this is and sometimes try letting steam near my ear or just going for a long walk. I really think I will try going back to that chiropractor and that is what I think others with this problem should try.
another thing I found is something called an ear popper-$200. may accepted on insurance-see www.ear-popper.com find at target, walgreen, riteaid.
I have been dealing with the same thing since I was 13 years old.  I don't know if this goes for anyone else, but it all started when I had gotten a severe ear infection that lasted for more than 2 weeks.  I had gotten fluid in my ears.  Maybe it is that fluid has settled behind the eardrum and swishes around whenever we swallow or yawn or even tighten our jaw muscles.  I don't know.  Just a thought.
I have been dealing with this for 4 years now. I saw an ENT he preformed a in office surgery were he made tiny incisions in my eardrums, if this is ever suggested to you don't do it!  For two weeks everything echoed and sounded hollow.  I ended up having to miss work, pay $400 after insurance, and he never did tell me what was wrong.  I also have problems with my sinuses, a different ENT said I have a severe deviated septum.  He wants me to have surgery to correct this, I am nervous.  I have also recently got braces thinking that it had to do with my jaw, I have had them on for 1 year and 2 months and it has not helped.  I do see a chiropractor for my neck, I have never heard that it could be from the muscles in your neck. I will have to say something to my chiropractor.  I am going crazy and I feel like nobody understands, I feel like people think I am a hyperchondriac.  At this point I wonder if I am.
Try local honey for ear popping-
I have had chronic sinusitis for 4 years this month. I have also had awful allergies for 8 years. I never used to have a problem with my ears until I became very sick in Aug of 2008. I have had popping and crackling in both ears, but mostly my right ear since. I hear it every time I swallow and every time I open my mouth. It is, to say the least, very annoying. My dr said I had blood in my right ear due to my allergies. My sinusitis has worsened due to too many antibiotics for what I believe to be a fungal infection.
The point of my post is that the ear problems have decreased to a large extent in the past 2 days. The only thing I have done differently is that I started using LOCAL HONEY again. I also take Claritin D, but I know this isn't the reason for the improvement with my ears. I found out about local honey a couple of years go. I recently moved and had been unable to find it in my new area. In addition to the ear popping, I have been suffering with awful eye pain as well. Local honey will also relieve eye pain due to allergies. The honey is made by the bees using the same outdoor plants you may be allergic to. In that sense, it acts as a vaccine so to speak. You can find it at health food stores or your local Farmers' Market.
Anyone with sinus or ear issues due to allergies, TRY THIS! It really works :)
I have a similar problem as well. I noticed it only arises when I am nervous and am thinking too much. I guess these could be considered "bipolar thoughts" (ya know the kind that just won't shut up?), although I am not bipolar. This is just a theory, but I think that it has nothing to do with the physical and is more of a psychological thing. The mind is so powerful that we may never know what thought alone has on our bodies. When I am thinking really hard, like to the point where I don't notice any external stimuli, my heart pumps harder and faster, sending more blood to the brain (much more so if I am feeling anxiety for some reason). This may begin to throw off the normal functions of the body if continued for too long (similar to burning out from stress which is common these days) hence the abnormal clicking in the ears. This unusual strain on the brain may affect the inner ear structures which are responsible for equilibrium and hearing, causing normal ear pressure to be thrown off and thus causing the clicking, squeaking, and popping noises.

Once again, I don't know much about this and am just looking for an explanation. If anyone knows more about the body's response to stress and know that this for a fact is not possible then kudos to you, but I am just throwing it out there.

Does anyone with this ear popping problem suffer from stress or anxiety or experience this only in certain situations? I wonder if I am on to something...
Here are my symptoms: constant ear popping, left eye area and cheek hurts along with my upper teeth, and my left nostril is numb. I have lost my appitite and have gas that taste like my stomach gases. What is it? I have tried cold medicine, decongestant, and ibporphen for my headache or to try to relieve some pressure surrounding my nose and eye. I have run out of options.
My ent diagnosed me with acid reflux, gave me a script and all better...years of ear pressure gone.  if I don't watch my diet now, comes back as a side effect of acid reflux...I don't get the expected heart burn, I get the ear pain.  Check it out and do a search for acid reflux and ear pain, you'll be surprised!
i just started having this problem.  like a week ago.. I'm 14,, my teacher told me it was because of a miner infection, or wax build up.. and said it will go away in a little bit.. i was wondering if there are any quick fix answers to this because i cant take it anymore  :)
I can't believe I found some people with the same problems!  I have had this constant pressure/popping in my ear (right only) for 3 years now, ever since I had an ear infection.  Almost like it never quite went away.  I went to an ENT and he didsurgery to correct my deviated septum.  This didn't help my ear so he put a tube in it.  This didn't help the entire time I had it and yesterday it was taken out.  I also suffer from tinnitus, motion sickness (vertigo?) and random severe headaches right behind my eyes.  Tomorrow I go for a brain MRI, I will post the results when I get them.  I've stopped complaining about my symptoms to family and friends because I also felt like they thought I was a hypochondriac, I'm glad to know I'm not crazy!  
wow im suprised to read all these pots about the problems i have... sometimes it feels like im so alone... ive had constant ear popping and pressure for over a year and its the most annoying thing ever along with alot of dizzy spells. doctors and ents have found nothing wrong and its frustrating!! i know there is something wrong. its more in the left ear then the right. i also always feel like i have a stuffed nose and cant breathe right. ive tried so many meds and stuff to fix it and nothing works.... the last resort is to get my impacted wisdom tooth out maybe thats the cause... everyday i just worry like i might die or is it life threatening and its scary...anybody who wants to talk im here i could use someone to talk to who understands what im going through!!
I've been dealing with this Stupid popping since last summer..At first i thought it was just caused by an 11 hrs non stop flight and the changed of the altitude. After several months till now its getting worst,giving me headache,ear pain and everytime i swallow my saliva it wont go tru immediately,kinda like i have to deep breath ( else it feels like cant breath at all) then redo the swallowing.Its crazy really,i just wish it would go back to normal.
Like you all, I too am surprised to find others with this strange problem. I have had constant ear infections since I was very little. For about 10 years now I have experienced constant popping in my ears when I swallow and chew...I also have to constantly 'blow' my ears out (holding your nose and blowing to clear your ears) and helps for a few seconds, but they go right back to being 'clogged'. My left is worse than my right, and I have these pains in my left ear that I can only describe as a' charlie horse' feeling...I know it is imposisble to have a charlie horse in your ear as there really are no muscles there to spasm, but it is an acute sharp pain that lasts anywhere from a few seconds to a few hours. I have had hearing tests, seen specialists, and allergists...NOTHING has come of it. I also get migraine headaches and have been diagnosed with TMJ, but I really dont think that has to do with my ear, as the pain is my EAR not from my JAW. PLEASE, if anyone has any info on where to go or how to help....SHARE! :) Much appreciated!
Hi.

I had a full palm hit on my  left ear back in 2002. Since then I have been unable to sustain large change of pressure into my left ear  like going on an airplane or going under water . I have developed a clicking of the ear in 2007. That condition is known as TTM (tympani tensor myoclonous).  I have written a long post on the whole techinical details on this forum. Have a look. And if you have had and accident or ear trauma and have managed to remove that "clicking", I would love to know how you did so.
Has anyone with all these symptoms looked up Sjorgrens Syndrome? It is an auto-immune disease that primarily affects the salivary glands (just below the ear lobes) and other fluid producing areas like tear ducts, joints etc.
Symptoms include: ear popping discomfort, difficulty swallowing, ear, nose and throat problems including sinusitis, breathlessness and joint pain. Patients also often suffer from extreme fatigue and anxiety/depression.
I have been diagnosed with this and am seeing a rheumatologist whose remit this comes under. Rheumatoid arthritis often accompanies this disease so it may be worth mentioning these things to your GP.
If anyone concurs with this amateur diagnosis, please feel free to share? :O)
Relating to the last entry: 'Sjorgrens' patients affected are mainly female, initially presented between the ages of 40-50. 9 out of 10 patients with this are female! Sorry ladies, we're the unlucky ones again!
hello everyone... i have been suffering from this for a few months now and thought it was a wax build up...but to my surprize the ENT assured me that there wasnt a wax build up...i had a stressful summer and am beginning to feel like this is more psychological than physical...then again it could have somthing to do with the wisdom teeth as my mouth feels out of alignment for the first time im my life...this could have an effect on the equilibrium of the whole facial area...anyway, im glad to hear that non of you have died from this rediculus problem...but i really believe that most if not all of you are anxious and nervous more than the mean...it also seems a little OCDish if you dont mind me saying...im hoping with new insight into this problem i can start relaxing about it and hopfully recieve some addvice from anyone willing...good luck my fellow ear-poppers...dont let it ruin your life...my brother has compounded cronic (chronic) problems with his guts as well as diabeties...if he can live with those serious problems then surly you and i can manage this little set-back...be positive and good luck!!!
I have had an ear popping problem for as long as I can remember and I am now 30.  My ears pop when I open my mouth wide, swallow or just for no apparent reason.  When they pop it feels so intense that I am constantly sniffing my nose hard in order to get them to feel closed up again.  I have been experiencing alot of dizziness, breathelessness and virtigo lately.  Everytime I mention this to a Dr.  they seem completely unconcerned.  It is extremely irritating to live with.  I would do just about anything to have a cure for this.    
I have always had quick-forming ear pressure imbalances, but have always been able to depressurise much the same way you'd do on a flight, or the act of chewing would relieve that. Recently however, I started getting this constant and consistent "popping" and "clicking" sound in my left ear. Try as I might, nothing I did worked, until I read what some of the posts on this forum have indicated. I thought deeply about what I was going through and realised that YES, I was stressed, but then I have just also come out of a situation where I had a "minor' upper respiratory blockage AND to make things worse, I am self-employed with 101 things going on in my head and hence, not much sleep, just trying to get things going comfortably for the rest of my family.
I sat down to some meditation and relaxation to get rid of the stress and considered deeply the actual situation going on in my ears and head. I did some intensive research (almost like I was doing a Doctoral Thesis on just this one topic). I found that the popping is just your body's way of relieving additional internal pressure that happens to be more than the eexternal pressure acting on the tympanic membrane (ear-drum). I then used an old wives remedy to gain some temporary relief. I say temporary  because I have no idea as to how long it will last, it could come back perhaps a few minutes after writing this post, or perhaps a month from now, or even a year. Unless I stop the actual cause of the pressure imbalance, and the cause of stress, it might come back when conditions are again favourable for it to return. Meanwhile, I am still enjoying the same "Temporary relief". What did I do? Simply the following:

You will notice that the problem is usually affecting one ear (right or left). So......
Gentle breathing exercises, quiet medication for the stress and gently exhaling the worries and problems out. THEN, I used the lightest oil available (in my case, the 3in1 machine oil) and put that in the affected ear until it filled temporarily up. I closed it up with a bit of clean cotton wool and continued living my life....

The oil was able to counteract the pressure imbalance between the middle and outer ear, and I haven't had the problem since.

Even as I write this post, I dread thinking about it too much  in case, by the Laws of Attraction (The Secret), I attract the problem back. I know what we all go through with this problem, and all I can caution everybody with, is that as long as your ear drum has not been perforated in any way, the light machine oil (3-in-1) works just great. I think normal ear drops might be too light to counter the pressure gradient in the ear, so try it..... if anyone wants to engage in more frequent conversation, you can find me on Skype as "njwayi". God bless to you all.
I HAVE A NAME FOR THE ISSUE AT HAND!!!!!!!!!!!
It is called chronic ear, it's normally caused from numerous ear infections that may have been left untreated for too long or not fully treated at the time of infection.
I have this problem, I am 24 and have dealt with it since I was about 6 years old (that I can remember)
Well, when I ended up with a deadly ear infection called malignant otitis in 2008 I went to 6 Dr. visits and my doc did nothing but put me on a broad spectrum anti-biotic, which didn't help at all! I ended up in the emergency room 8 days after the on-set of infection and the E.R. doc put something called a "wick" in my ear. The wick was used to basically keep my ear pryed open enough for the aggressive anti-biotic ear drops he put me on to get through the EXTREMELY swollen ear canal. I mean SWOLLEN! The entire left side of my face quadrupled in size and was putting pressure on my skull causing a brain bleed.
So the E.R. doc admitted me and put me on 3 oral anti-biotics and the aggressive ear drops which are so strong they are known to cause skin and muscle death as well as killing infection.
After 6 weeks of this and plenty of hydrocodone 10's for the excruciating pain I was in, the infection went away.
Now, after all of this the ER dr. checked me again, i had to follow up with only him because my regular physician wanted nothing to do with all of this, the ER doc checked my ears and told me I would have to have the scar tissue from the infection removed. Reluctantly, I agreed and he took a scalple to the inside of my ear and removed the dead tissue.
He then told me that he would need to check my other ear because apparently once you have had this type of infection once it is MUCH easier to get it again in either ear. It is a DEADLY infection, so if you get an ear infection do NOT let it go untreated because if you have chronic ear you're more supsceptible to this infection!!
When he checked my other ear he asked my to open my mouth, when I did he put his ear against mine and heard my ear pop. He asked how long that had been happening and if it was in both ears. I told him it's been like that as long as I could remember and that it was in both ears. That is when he told me I have chronic ear. It's a lifelong issue. It will never go away, no treatments have been proven to work for this and I think something needs to be done to try and find an effective treatment for this!!!!
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there is no treatment for chronic ear. I have been doing a lot of research since this happened and I finally have a diagnosis...but no luck yet. I may be on to a little something and will let you all know if I find something that at least minimizes our issue! if you have any questions you can e-mail me at
***@****
I've had this problem for about five hours now. I don't know if I can take this for the rest of my life.
Thank you for your advice!  I really think you are on to something, and everyone in this forum should examine the stress in their lives - and see if they are constantly clenching their jaw, thinking too much, and not de-stessing.  I've had the same ear popping condition for 8 months now, and am working on de-stressing - which is actually helping to alleviate things, and I am noticing a difference.  My ears are actually hurting as they [hopefully] are returning to normal!  But anyone with further advice on how to handle this very annoying problem - please let us know.  Many many thanks.
my boy friend is having this problem and is driving him crazy. i need stff tha will help him. anything!
I am currently 24, and have been suffering from the constant popping in my left ear my whole life and i thought it was normal.  I've had tubes in both ears multiple times when i was a child and even had some skin grafted over my right ear drum to cover the hole that wouldn't heal. Obviously had ear infections my whole life up until i was like 13, and i still occasionally get one primarily in my left ear.  

About a year ago i went and seen an ent and told him that i had this constant pressure in my left ear, i mean it would pop, but didn't seem to alleviate the job.  He told me that i had eustation tube dysfuction which didn't surprise me.  So i recommended him place a tube in and maybe that would be enough to do the trick.  He did so and let's just say it was very uncomfortable for me and i hated it. So i got him to remove it like 3 months later.  Boy was that a relief.  My left ear pretty much stopped popping though completly.  I mean it would pop and all every now and then like it was supposed to but not harrasing the hell out of my every minute.

I am a very active person, i exercise regularly and it seems like my ears pop a great deal when i am breathing heavely.  Thats ok as long as it stops when i am finished training my body.  Well three days ago i was indulged into my workout and all of a sudden my left ear popped.  Only this time it seemed to stretch my ear drum outward and wouldn't return to its normal position.

Now it is annoying the hell out of me and it just doesn't make sense.  I thought i had a good thing going and whaam.  

The only thing that is keeping me sane for the time being is i have been chewing gum and that seems to alleviate the popping.  I was even thinking about taking some clariten as well until it returns to "normal".  

What's really ironic is they say when your eustation tube pops the job is done, well mine is popping but their seems to be a conflict somewhere.

I hope someone here has something to contribute to my post.

I've been having popping ears for almost 2 years now.Every doctor has just told me to take antihistamines,Allergy pills and Nasal sprays.However this dose not help popping of my ears I feel like no on understands me.The only time I've felt minor relief was from my chiropractor that adjusted my ear.I just canceled my cat scan for my sinus.I really don't know what to do from here.Should I still get a cat scan of sinuses?
So I've been reading all these posts about ear clickings and I have no idea if this is what I'm experiencing. It started like 3-4 days ago, I had a stuffy nose, and was just watching tv and it feels like my ear is popping all by itself, like small vibrations and pops randomly occur, mostly my left ear, i can't tell if everytime I swallow if they pop or not, it seems like it, but sometimes its loud, sometimes its quiet. I also had canker sore or something on the bottome right side of my tongue, I have no idea if they're related. it's really, really annoying, but it only seems to happen at night. I will investigate in the morning, to see if it occurs in the day as well. i'm just confused and wondering if I should be worried. thank you.
sorry also another note, when I open my mouth very wide, my right ear makes a suction sound, like my ear drum is inhaling, I've never had this happen before and is really freaking me out, please anyone help.
I have the same problems(I am 14, have had it since forever)!! Ear infections since I was little, constant popping, ear pain when pressure changes(altitude, underwater, barometric, just randomly, temp. changes, etc.). I have been looking for treatment I can do at home to alleviate the pain. So far, the only treatment I have found is:
-eating/drinking, yawning helps a little but not really
-sucking on candy/chewing gum helps for a short amount of time
-acupressure helps immediately when he does it, and then for some time after, but then it hurts again at home and I can't replicate it.
-have also been taking chinese herbs, not sure if it has an effect.
-applying heat(warm cloth) helps a little.
I'm not sure how to help the constant popping and how to stop the pain. Please reply if you have found any treatment! Thanks!! Can't believe there are so many people with the same problem!
Oh wait sorry don't use heat!! I just read it can like rupture your eardrum if you have an infection behind it or something. Sorry!
I have had this problem for roughly 9 years, i am now 18.
has any treatments worked for anyone?
i yawn and swallow and my ears pop, i gets in the way of everyday life activitys and i cant hear that good also.
Mike
I have the similar problem. Constant ear pressure and clicking.

I've been to an ENT specialist who diagnosed my problem as a deviated nasal septum (DNS) an consequently I underwent surgery to correct this (removed part of my septum to improve the air flow). This has improved the flow of air through my nose which was originally a problem that was caused by an allergy (prolonged exposure to dust). However, my ENT now recommends that I have a micro surgical incision into my Eustachian tube, which will either correct the air pressure (re-balance) or drain the fluid, if any, out of my ear relieving any of the pressure.

I'm due to have this soon and will update this thread with the results.  
I've had all of these symptoms for going on 7 years now.  I've had to put it on the back burner because of other medical problems, but it's getting to the point where I can't ignore it anymore.  The last time I mentioned it to my ENT I don't think surgery on the eustachian tube itself was an option, so PLEASE let me know how your procedure goes and if it helps! Just knowing such a procedure exists somewhere gives me all new hope!
I have had a lot of similar problems: ear/jaw/sinuses/neck, etc... I used to be a real worrier about so many things. Fear is the worst sickness of all! If it is something really bad and you are going to die, than there is nothing you can do about it. If its something that can be cured - great! But the worrying is the REAL killer! Stop worrying, stop being afraid. Peace to all of you, sweet, calm restful, healing dreams.
Yes do let us know how your surgery goes. Because years ago I had such a blocked nose along with ear pressure and couldn't take it. So I had 2 nose surgery's for a deviated septum and right now I can breath fantastic. But like you said as for me too I thought this would (of course fix my nose) but fix my ear fullness as well, but it didn't. My ears pop all the time and even with a little noise my right ear crackles everytime, it *****. I think it's because of the blood and mucus after the surgery's and weeks of sleeping while the blood was seeping back into my e-tubes.

Now I'm going to an ENT on the 11th to get my tubes checked and I might try the Earadicator remedy I found out about. I'll let everyone know if this remedy works. It's suppose to work for some and not all, but hey some is good enough for me.
READ THIS!!!!

HEY GUYS I HAVE THE VERY SAME PROBLEM AND THE ENT TOLD ME THE SAME THING "NOT MUCH I CAN DO ABOUT THIS" HOWEVER I RESEARCHED AND FOUND A SOLUTION THAT HAS HELPED ME REDUCE THESE PROBLEMS OVER 50%!!!! GO TO YOUR NATURAL FOODS STORE AND PICK UP VITAMIN B-12 DROPS (THE LIQUID KIND) ZINC CAPSULES, AND MELATONIN (I USE THE 5MG) IT HELPS WITH SLEEP ALSO.  USE ONCE A DAY, EVERYDAY AND YOU WILL NOTICE A DIFFERENCE......YOU HAVE TO BELIEVE ME!!!!!!!!  I apologize for the all caps but I'm really sure that this will work for most if not all of you.  It'll cost maybe 25-30 bucks, save you money from the doctor, and it's all natural.  Please give this a try and let me know if it has helped.  Thanks!
Please, try this.  Gently push your tragus over your ear canal.  If you push "in" on it, you may hear a small popping sound.  If you don't push inward, but instead just ensure that the hole is completely covered, you may not hear a popping sound.  This is what's happening to me.  It leads me to believe that this has more to do with the muscles near where the auricle of your ear meet your jaw bone and ear canal.

Many of you have found that antihistamines work.  I've been on FlowNaise due to not being able to use antihistamines (because of low-pressure Glaucoma), because I work in a call center and have to talk all day.  My allergies gave me post-nasal drip, which made my throat sore, so I had to have something to stop that, and the FlowNaise seemed to be a good solution.  This is a (localized only) amuno-suppressant.

I was noticing that over time, my nasal drip was returning, and because the cold/flue season is fast coming upon us, I decided to try not using it for a day while at work.  My nasal drip seemed to almost disappear, and was significantly less of a problem than in the days before -- but by the end of the day, I noticed that the ear popping had started, whenever I yawned, burped, hiccuped, laughed or coughed.  My ears didn't pop if I ate, drank, breathed...  Someone else around here could probably explain that one.

I'm really concerned that so many of you have suffered for so long.  This is new to me, as of yesterday.  It didn't go away by today, so I Googled around and found this page.  The weird thing is, just because I felt like it, last night and this morning, I ate a lot of local honey -- and the popping has only somewhat simmered down.  I'll continue to do that for the next few days and see what happens.  However, I suspect, based on what all of you have been saying, that it would help a lot of you if you either went back on your antihistamines, tried new ones, or at least tried some Ibuprofen, to reduce any swelling of the muscles/tissues in/near your ears, to help regulate the fluid-pressure in your ears.  I'm going to try that and see if it helps me.  I can't use anti-histamines (anyone with high or abnormal interocular pressure should avoid ALL anti-histamines, please see your ophthalmologist and your Dr.  When I say "low-pressure," I'm referring to "above normal, but lower than high pressure."  It's medical techno-babble.)

I asked you to do that pressure test on your ears because I'd like to know the results.  Am I the only one who gets the popping when putting pressure on the tragus over the ear canal, but not when merely covering the ear canal with the tragus?  Or is that something all of you experience?  I'd really like to know, so please post the results!  Thank you in advance :)
I have extreme pain in my right ear. Infact it hurts so much i think I could take my ear off with a knife and it would not bother me. Believe me I doubt very much vitamin B12 or melatonin will ever work. Get a grip trying to diagnose a serious ear condition with out medical training. You are playing with peoples lives.

4 years ago I had a pseudomona's infection in the same ear and after a week of excruciating pain I finally got my Doctor to refer me to the ENT specialist through the casuality department.

The casualty department took one look at me and while investigating my ear with a scope and me nearly passing out with pain, they put me in a wheel chair and wheeled me to the ENT department.

They sucked alot of infection out with a ear vacuum, and then advised me I needed to be admitted as my right ear had completely closed due to infection and my left ear was also showing signs also.

After 1 day in hospital and being on 4 lots of pain killers on a hourly basis the ENT doctors finally began to administer ear drops to both ears, which may I say nearly made me pass out each time. After two days my right ear swelling subsided enough for a wick to e inserted to keep the ear open long enough to have ear drops applied regular.

I then discharged myself to out patients as the ENT doctors advised me I had a pseudomona infection and it was really untreated by antibiotics. They also advised me that if I was a little older then it was quite common to cause death in elderly patients. However as I was in my 30's with regular wicks applied and daily vacuuming the condition should alleviate.

It took 3-4 months at out patients before my problems alleviated fully.

So believe me when I say always get it checked out!

It is now 3-4 years later and my right ear is now inflamed again, it is popping and each time it pops I feel like I could pass out with pain.
I have no feeling in my right jaw and teeth on my right side as swelling on that side is so severe. My right ear is nearly completely blocked and only thing that is keeping me from visiting the emergency room is the fact that it is a weekend and they make you wait 2-3 hours before seeing a doctor.

As such I am laid in bed taking tramadol 2x 50mg 4 times a day, which hardly seems to be working. Believe me I will book in aat my own doctors surgery tomorrow as a priority as this can not keep going on it hurts to so much.

The doctor advised me 2 weeks ago I may have arthritis in my Temporal MAndible Joint. That was 2 weeks ago and was not nearly half as bad as it is now.

As such I am going to see if he can refer me to emergency as priority or a specialist :(

Let me re iterate I originally just had a swollen right cheek, light ear pain in my right ear, a numb right jaw, and no feeling in my right teeth.

I now have the same symptoms along with popping in the right ear, a full feeling in the same ear, and even though the ear is blocked it feels like something is dripping down my right ear canal and cheek constantly. I am unable to touch my right ear or ear lobe at all due to pain. And the right side of my face is starting to feel like it is drooping.

Any  trained medical thoughts out there would be appreciated.

I will update you tomorrow after I see the Doctor / GP again.

many thanks

LJ

I've had the ear popping since I was a kid with ear infections...like, age 3.  I've had to have surgery every other year up until I was 18 (now I'm 22) for my Eustachian tubes where they basically put an artificial one in your ear drum that your ear is SUPPOSED to heal around and then even out the pressure right to eliminate the popping and constant discomfort.  My ears are so scarred now that the last surgery took 45 minutes to do...usually it takes 15 minutes.  My ear doctor told me that my ears looked like they finally healed around the space (tubes naturally fall out after a year or so...the trick is getting them to heal right).  But yeah..now the popping has been back ever since I had a cold.  I've tried Sudafed....doesn't help.

Looks like I'm going to have to get surgeries for the rest of my life if I want to be able to hear and not go absolutely crazy...
6 years now it all started with ringing in the ear cracking popping and had all kinds of test ct and all got dizzy went to the er said i had an inner ear iffection got better 4 a while now i get dizzy every day and light headed and ear still ringing .iand it does drive u insaine ..
For fifteen years i've had this, im 26 now. My ears are always blocked with pressure. If i hold my nose and try to exhale against it it clears them. Hearing is then perfect but they crackle and the slightest sniff blocks me up.

Its nearly easier to have them blocked even though my hearing is reduced but laughing, smiling and swallowing disrupts it again, i must sniff 1000 times a day.

Went to ENT few years ago but she left me expecting to have this forever. she mumbled something about allergies but said she hadn't a clue and didnt look like she gave a damn. I truly believe my life wud be a million times better without this! Any advice would be more than appreciated.I hate my ears!

anybody can email me at ***@****
anyone been cured from the constant popping clicking noise i have had it for 8yrs and sinus surgery did not work nor anthing else really??
any luck with cure for ear popping??
Hearing that almost everyone that has posted on here has had it for many years is really awful to hear, i have had it for about 7 months and its really starting to get at me. It started with the area in my neck started to swell, the swelling went down and then i started feeling pain in my ears, and weird headaches like my brain was growing in size or something, just miserable. Now for the past few months its just been clicking everytime i swollow or yawn or really anything, and swollen(but not painful) throat. I have been trying to wait it out and not worry to much, but its getting really unbearable, and hard to act happy or normal when my head feels so heavy, sometimes the pain even shoots to my shoulders and neck muscles, and i constantly feel like i need a massage.i went to a doc and he diagnosed me with TMJ without listening to the details of my situation, i feel hopeless, and hearing that a lot of the people posting on here have had it for like 15 years!?, and there is nothing that can help!?,im just really freaking out, been calm but im really red up with it, i just wanna feel normal again, sick of these damn headaches. If anyone knows of a cure or even something that will mildy help, let me know. thanks.

Wow, didn't realize that there is a lot of people suffering from what I recently experienced!
The last few days, I notice that my left ear is "throbbing" like I can hear my heart beat in my left ear. It gets worst when I lie down. Just a note here that since I am not a doctor, I just want to share something that is giving me a relief, and this is not a professional opinion. Always consult with your doctor.

Anyway, whenever I have the episode, what I do is to get up from bed, take a deep breath in and out (like the yoga breathing exercise) for 5 x and then, look down, tuck in my chin towards my upper chest (30 sec in this position or whatever is tolerable). I am finding out that the throbbing stops and I am able to sleep. I hope this is not only a temporary relief for me. It happened 3 times already and the problem always stops. Please share if you are getting the same type of relief like I am experiencing.
i am an old pro to ear problems. I have had a number of surgeries on my left hear that have left me with about a 60% hearing loss. My right ear now has to be pampered because i am at risk to loosing my hearing in it also.
ok? now that you know some of my story. I want to say i too experience popping in my ears at different times. (both ears)  but i will tell everyone of you that when i get a T tube placed in my good ear this solves the problem for me.
I get a tube place in my ear about every 2 to 3 years to prevent my good ear from having problems like my bad ear had.  
  Anyway  thought i'd share a little info with you all.
          Most ENT can preform this procedure in the office with a minimal discomfort. Hope this helps BEst of luck to you all
Does anyone know if a malocclusion can have any effect on either Eustachian tube 'fullness' or the sensation that the tubes are clogged (as in the feeling you often have during a head cold)? Has anyone had any experience with orthodontic braces or orthognathic surgery as it may relate to this problem? I have constant ear pressure and high pitched tinnitus and I also have a mild class 3 malocclusion that has been partially treated with braces, but which I have been told could have been treated with surgery which would alter my mandible. My suspicion is that the mandible could impinge on the area near the ear and cause the sensation of clogging and tinnitus. While no ENT or oral surgeon has tried to disabuse me of this notion, none have said that it is impossible. Any comments appreciated.

Dan

Possible cure;
This might help you I quote from another forum:

"I have known I have tmj for a long time. But it hasn't caused that much discomfort other than my constant clicking of my jaw. But beginning a few months ago I started experiencing constant dizziness. I saw a neurologist, ent and physical therapist without too much help.

Then a few days ago, I saw on another forum a posting on how constant jaw clicking from tmj can affect the inner ear and cause dizziness. He or she then said how a particular exercise ended his/her jaw clicking.

Anyway I tried it and have eliminated 90% of my jaw clicking and with that most of my dizziness. I had been on disability a couple months and with this drastic improvement will be able to go back to work in a couple weeks. The exercise (which I have now seen posted several places, including on doctors' pages) is to press your tongue to the top of your mouth and hold for 10 seconds. Do this for ten repititions and do the whole set 5 times a day. You should do it sitting up and looking straight ahead because it really is training muscles in the neck which control your tongue. By doing this you train your tongue to stay against the top of your mouth. I have noticed now that when I let my tongue lay on the bottom of my mouth, pressure builds up in my ears and then I start clicking again.

Hope this helps "jaw-clickers" out there. If it does, it may help alleviate other symptoms like it has my dizziness."

please check this out:
http://ehealthforum.com/health/topic41188.html
hi there my simptoms stated off with itchyness behind my eyes ,roling my eyes back
then my ears stated to pop every day, sometimes it would crack, id pop them that much
it could be slightly painfull.
now its not as bad but when i ride my bike to work it triggers it im always popping them and roling my eyes back ,i guess it could be corsed by execise
or somthing i even get it when im working
please can sombody help!!!!
hi there i have has the brain swelling the year before
i had the ear poping
having baths and massages cured the problem for a few mins
somtime it would be so uncomfable  i just felt like i was going to colaps
doctors  said it was stress but i was not stresed realy
I am having the same problem now for 2 years. This started for me when I did an intense training session at the gym, so I thought it was relating to my change in lifestyle, possibly high blood pressure. It seemed to only occur when I did very intese work outs - mostly when I was jumping around alot or sprinting. I noticed when I put my head down and starred at the ground it sorta when away.

I did a very intense workout session last few months and the pressure became so bad that I threw up and was so disorientated.

But then this pressure started to occur more in my day to day activities - so went to 3 docs and a speciallist - all saying there was nothing wrong but a reading of allergic reactions could be the reason - stated the specialist - I did a hearing and pressure test.

Was taking a nasal spray which sorta helped but now has no effect.
I also was told that I have an acid reflux, but have not yet taken the tablets for it. But not sure if it relates to my ears.

Whats going on?!?
i have a temporary solution plug nose and inhale through nose you should feel pressure in your ears but it gets rid of the crackling such a relief at times
I also have had this ear-popping... it usually alleviates somewhat during sping (except during hayfever season) and summer, but returns full fledged in the fall and winter.  I have had this for several years, but just dealt with it until recently.  Like many people on here, my phyisician looked in the ear and saw nothing wrong.  I explained to him that the sinal drippage becomes blocked at my upper-nasal cavaties and when this happens I get what he calls "migraines." But in reality I believe these are sinus headaches.  I have learned that this symptom is somehow related to sinus fluids being improperly regulated by the body.  I have a remedy that is relatively effective for me, but it is one that I have to reuse every year.  And I have to do it, each time the sinuses build up too much.  I usually do it even if the symptoms are clear as a precautionary tool. The remedy is quite painful but effective... 1 part white vinegar and two parts Hydrogen Peroxide.  Do NOT heat this liquid up!  Surprisingly this is one of the remedys that was reccommended by Dr. Oz on t.v. for "swimmers ear."  You have to do each ear seperately, because you have to lay on your side for drainage to occur.  I also found blowing the nose (each nostril seprately) between the ear switcharoo and afterward to have a great benfeit as well.  You will have to do this at least twice a day until the syptoms (symptoms) clear.
Except its annoying to everyone around u when u do it 300 times a day, plus u'll find it reduces ur hearing ALOT when you sniff in with ur nose plugged, cant be good for ya... i still do it tho
ive had this problem for the last 8-12 months, my ears will pop (de-pressurise) as if i were on a airplane whenever i yawn/open my mouth too wide or when i swallow. im going to try ear candles this week, ill try n get back to people, i am glad however im not the only one with the problem...
I've been dealing with this problem for the last 7 years.  It's pretty discouraging to read through all this stuff, because it's very reminiscent of what I've gone through.  Much like the rest of you, I've gone to a variety of doctors; all with varying responses.  The most disheartening is when they look at you for about 5 seconds, throw their hands up, and say they don't see anything.  It's mind boggling that so many people have this same exact problem and yet they have no clue what to do.

They told me I should do allergy shots, but I'd rather not partake in another lengthy procedure that will probably have little payoff.

It's sad to think I could never hear the same way again.

-Matt
ive had this all day, i think it was from popping my eardrum. Anyways, it felt like there was fluid in my ears popping so i used a Q-tip to GENTLY rub the inside of my ear and it was gone
I'm 20 years old and I've had this problem for as long as I can remember. Reading what everyone has said has finally given me words to describe what this constant popping is like and how it affects your every day life. Until this year, I thought what was happening was normal- my ears would pop when I opened my mouth, yawn, ate, drank, swallowed and sometimes just from speaking. Somedays it happens more often than others but it has always been a daily thing.
As I kid, people made fun of me and called me sniffy or joked that I picked my nose because I was always plugging my ears back up after they popped. I mentioned it a few times growing up but most people didn't understand that it was a constant thing not like how your ears pop on a flight or something. I've also had dozens of ear infections growing up- in fact, I get them so often I hardly notice them anymore.
Two years ago, I began experiencing extreme bouts of dizziness sometimes after replugging my nose. The dizziness was enough my make me puke or need to sit or lay down. Recently I have been noticing the popping a lot more, especially when my ears would pop while I would be talking and amplify my voice or any other throat or mouth functions in my head.
I'm starting to worry that the effects of this constant ear popping will permanently damage my eardrums or hearing ability. Fear of losing my hearing is what actually lead me to look up my symptoms and find this posting.
I'm glad that there are people who feel my frustration with others not understanding, however, I'm not going to lie, I'm slightly heartbroken that no one has a cure or reason for all this suffering.
Hi guys, I am 21, I have had this issue for at least 6 years now and have tried so many things. Im sorry that you havent found any real solution yet and that you have gone through so much.

My symptoms include ear popping, ear pain and pressure, being unable to breathe correctly, problems hearing, vertigo and dizzyness, problems talking because the pain actually prevents me from hearing correctly and every time I talk is just painful.

I have a similar experience. Ive been to the doctor several times, the same thing happens everytime, they just look at me and say they have no clue. I go with a specialist and each time i get a different response. It might be TMJ, that i need to go to the dentist, that it might be a hereditary problem and etc. The problem is nobody really listens, they just tell you... "Oh its this..." and expect you to live your life like nothing is happening. I have found out that stress is a big factor, I always try relaxing, practicing meditation and avoiding just plain getting stressed out but it always comes back.
I wish you all luck and hope for the best that this can be resolved.
I work at a 4 diamond hotel in Washington, DC as a PBX (switchboard) operator with several other older people.  We have no ventilation in our office and there is one woman who burns candles, sprays stuff in the air all the time.  I tell her I am severely allergic to these things but she still continues to spray away.  About a month ago I began to sneeze constantly knowing full well an allergic was about to begin once more.  The next thing I knew I got a severe sinus episode, laryngitis and my ears stopped up and I almost lost my hearing.  I have gotten rid of the sinus issues, my voice is back but I still have hearing issues with an almost constant popping while chewing, talking and simple yawning.  I have tried drops for swimmers ear to dry water/liquids in the ear to no avail.  I was laid off from work and demoted to part-time call-in as needed in Nov.(wonderful issue in hospitality this time of year) so I have lost my health insurance benefits, so I cannot afford to go to the doctor.  I have taken Claritin D, head cold meds, Benedryl, etc and still have this hearing, popping issue.  Sometimes I feel like I am talking in a water drum.  I had a fear that I was going to loose my hearing all together.  I feel like it is the Eustacian tubes in my ear which have clogged up, much like a small infant who has chronic ear infections.  This is not painful, just irritating, however it is favorable while riding the public bus/subway system in DC.  HELP!!! .
It seems like every early Spring for the last 4 years, I've had dizzy spells, and ear popping. I've gone through hearing tests, antibiotics, and basically Dr's saying the same things that many of you have reported. Nothing seems to have helped. I have a possible good lead, something that has seemed to have helped (but sometimes hurt). Well, along with the ear popping, I've had throat infections, bad ones, bad enough to consider getting tonsils removed. This last time that I had it, I went aggressive with nasal rinses. There is a nasal rinse system by NielMed that I've been using for a few years now. I would do it once or twice when I started getting a sore throat, and it helped. And each time with these sicknesses, I'd get ear popping. Well this last time, I was so ticked off to start getting a sore throat again, I did like 4-5 nasal rinses in one day, and it totally reversed my sore throat, and got rid of the ear popping. I've got some ear popping right now, so I'm going to go aggressive, and let you all know how it goes. When I said before sometimes it "hurts" instead of helps, if you squeeze too hard once the water is out of the bottle, I've actually caused air and ear popping. And I almost think I caused it this time (I have ear popping, left ear, right now). But the nasal rinse is really good for allergies is why I've been doing it. So now that my ear has started popping, I'm going to go agressive again and to a whole bunch of nasal rinses and see if it stops. As a side note too, the nasal rinse has you use one saline packet, I've started using 2 pretty much everytime I do it now. Some guy here at work saw me doing it in the bathroom, and he mentioned that to me, to use 2 packets instead of one. You can buy them at walmart/walgreens. Everyone needs to try it and see if it helps, it has helped me allot.
Okay you guys, I know I didn't have continuous, non-stop ear popping like some of you have said. But I've had it where it sticks around for weeks and months, then finally goes away. I found another thread where people were talking about cleaning their ears out (I did a google search for "alcohol in the ear" or something like that). I tried it, and it's been 2 hours and the popping is totally gone. I was the one recommending the nasal rinses (which I totally still recommend for soar throats). Anyway, I put just enough in the cap, and poured it into my ears, let it sit for a few minutes, then drained it. My popping is totally gone. Be warned though, I read a bunch on this other thread where people said it hurt bad. And allot of people saying it didn't hurt at all. The difference I think is whether or not you have an ear infection or not. I don't think I had one, so it didn't hurt at all. Though it was a bit warm. But if you already have a lot of pain from an ear infection, I wouldn't do it. If it's just that your ears are popping like mine, I'd go for it. One of the guys said too that it's a very common practice with scuba divers, "they do it all the time" according to him. I also read of people doing a 50/50 mix with either white distilled vinegar or hydrogen pyroxide. So......***WARNING*** Don't do it if you are already in pain with an ear infection, or a perferated ear drum, IT WILL HURT. But if it's just for ear popping like me, I would give it a try.
I had constant ear popping every time I swallowed nearly all my life!  Most ear specialists said it was allergies, take allergy medicine which never worked!  Finally, at age 55, I went to an ear specialist because my ear was plugged up and I had a wax buildup.  I also told him about the lifetime of chronic ear popping and he put me on a steroid for one week and Papaverine 150g, 3 capsules per day for 30 days.  MY POPPING OF RIGHT EAR HAS DISAPPEARED FOR TWO YEARS NOW!!!  He said he believed the ear popping was due to an inbalance of blood flow.  I'm not sure whether it was the oral steroid that worked, the Papaverine or the combination of both.  I just know that I have not suffered from popping ear for the last 2 years...how wonderful it has been!!!
I have had the same problems for about 5 years now. My jaw and ears click, pop, and are in pain. I am only 26 years old. I have the same symptons as most people in these responses. I have high blood pressure, fairly bad allergies, asthma, joint pain, etc. However, I am in good shape, play golf, ride Mountain bike, wakeboard, play softball, and lift weights. My ears hurt the worst, and usually have the most pressure after I lift weights.

I used to go to the doctor and she stated that it was a sinus infection, then it was from cleaning my ears too much, and then TMJ. She prescribed me muscle relaxers for the TMJ, but that did not work. I have heard that taking magnesium can help TMJ, but that has not worked so I do not think that I have TMJ. I live at a high elevation, and going over high elevation passes my ears fill up with a ton of pressure and it can't be equalized.

Any help would be amazing.
Hello, I have the constant head pressure and ear clicking.  A post was made about how Papaverine and steroids were used to succesfully alleviate the clicking in one ear.  Has anyone else tried this?  If so, did they help at all?  Thanks for any feedback.  
I am having the same problem it just started this morning, it's a very small crackle sound in my right ear, kindof sounds like when you pour milk into Rice Krispies... snap, crackle, pop... I can sit very still and it gets louder.

I came across this one web site and I thought it might be very helpful, I am going to give it a try. Thought i would share it with the rest of you.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/ent/202304.html

From how you describe your symptoms, I think you are suffering from a very common problem known as 'Eustachian tube dysfunction' or ETD.
The noises that you hear in your ears are as a result of the fluid in the middle ear becoming thickened, usually as the result of a cough or cold.
There is a fine tube that runs from the middle ear to the back of the throat called the 'Eustachian tube' and this becomes blocked by this sticky fluid, or mucus.
This in turn leads to a pressure build up in the ear which is released when you talk, swallow, blow your nose or eat. This is why your ears pop.
Sometimes people suffering from ETD get crackling noises in their ears or deafness.
The deafness is usually temporary and is as a result of the normal flexible ear drum, or tympanic membrane, becoming stiff as a result of the increased pressure behind it.
The ear drum is therefore unable to move when a sound wave hits it and so the sound is muffled when it is heard.
The crackling is due to the mucus moving within the middle ear.
It is the blockage of the Eustachian tube that causes pain in the ears when flying as the changes in air pressure make it difficult for the pressure across the ear drum to equalise.
This causes the ear drum to be stretched, which is painful.
There is no one successful treatment for ETD but simple measures such as inhaling steam regularly can be very effective.
I usually recommend that you steam with your mouth open to allow the maximum amount of steam up in the nasal passages and the eustachian tube until you can either hear your ears cracking or until your nose starts to run.
You should then blow one nostril at a time until there is nothing left to blow!
Medications that can help include decongestants such as pseudoephedrine, available in tablet, or nose spray form.
This can be bought 'over-the -counter'. Alternatively, your doctor could prescribe a steroid nose spray to help.
I would reassure you that ETD tends to run a long, varying cause, but usually has no long-term effects on the hearing.
If your symptoms persist, I'm sure your doctor would be only to happy to check you over when you are next home on leave.
Yours sincerely
The NetDoctor Medical Team

I have had this same problem for about 2 1/2 years now. I first noticed it after about 6 months of having flown with a bad cold. At the time I didn't think anything of it. Then it started to get worse. I went to an ENT and he said I had a deviated septoum and polyps. I had surgery to remove the polyps, straighten my septum and have my adenoids (adenoids) removed (my tonsils had already been removed 5 years before). This recent surgery was 7 months ago and I haven't noticed any improvements in my ear condition although I do breathe better through my nose. I would love any help in getting rid of the constant cracking and popping sound. I also have noticed that my ears with occasionally ache and I feel a pressure down inside...
I do this 3000 times a day too!! everytime I sneeze, cough, laugh, swallow or yawn my ears pop "out" leaving everything sounding very airy.  I can hear myself breath and swallow until I hold my nose and suck inward.  It drives me crazy!!
I have this exact same problem.  I hold my nose and suck in 5000 times a day.  I try to be discrete about it but it drives me crazy!! If I don't do it, I can't hear, all I can hear is myself breath and swallow.  It's like there is a hole in my ear and the air is the only thing I hear.  No one I have ever known has had this same problem.  
I've got a lot of head problems I had my ear drum ruptured recentlyish and a few bad ear infections when  was younger. I grind my teeth offsetting my jaw and broke my nose causing a deviated septum (I can't breathe through my nose very well if congested forget about it) this causes low pressure popping when breathing in and high pressure popping when breathing out through my nose .  when I open and close my jaw at certain points it muffles\pops my right ear what should I do besides getting a tooth guard I know that already
I think it has to do with the muscle and neck out of place. I am going to the chiropractor. If it is out of place it can cause problems. I know my sinuses act up when it gets worse but a chiropractor can fix the neck which can help the problem. I can't afford to go or I would of already went. I have been having this problem for over 2 years but has got worse. Haven't went to the chiropractor for years. As soon as I can afford it I will go. I have notice taking the antihistamine helps clear up the fluid a lot but it keeps coming back and believe it is because the neck is out of place.
i hate it!.....i have to do the suck in nose thing all the time, its awful when your out and about ,i like to sing but pop go the ears then everythings muffled and don't sound right!.....it's so irritating ......my docter said "try cope with it" well if i could cope with it i would'nt have asked you.......Rant over lol.
I have the same issue. For 6 months now my ears have been popping non-stop and it's gotten to the point to where nomatter what I do they constantly pop every second. Everything sounds very muffled and I feel like my hearing is decreasing. I have seen an ENT twice and they've said the last resort is tubes. I have another appt tomorrow to let him know no progress, it's getting worse. We'll see what he says. It's started to affect my breathing and it makes me extremely dizzy.
do you put the liquid drops in your ear or take orally?
Thanks for the advice!
THis is very interesting persepective.

I have clicking in my ears. I find it is definitely linked with stress level, or a change in stress level, be it up or, often coming down from a high stress period. The first time it happened to me was when I hypnotised myself for the first time. This makes you super relaxed, and my ear starting clicking super loud. Now it seems to do it pretty often, it's going right now. I also have a cold right now so it could be some fluid in my ears today. It is very interesting stuff. Strangely again, it happens when I give my girlfriend a massage just about every time. ie. thinking, focusing on relaxation, she can hear it. It would be interesting to hear a chinese medicine doctors take on this.

Cheers, happy clicking..
Hello All
I would like to address a problem with the ear popping issue. A lot of the problems that we are dealing with is our diets. We get a lot of of these infections from stress, the foods we eat and, not enough rest. All of my problems began with a systemic fungal infection. Fungus was in my nose and my sinuses. I had to go on a sugar free diet and eliminate a lot of foods that were no good.  I am still going through this problem. It has been very hard, but we live in a society were we eat what ever we want and then we get all sorts of infections. I am not judging because I was not eating right. I would look into fungal and yeast infection. Change your diet and exercise is the key. Get some herbal remedies for fungus which could be clogging your ears. Antibiotics will not help and doctors will only manage your problems but will not cure your problem. I can prove that if you change your diet and exercise it will help. We are a society who are looking for the quick fix with pills. Get the fungus out of your sinuses and out of your ears. Also I will tell you that the medical world will not believe you if you talk about fungus. Fungus is suppose to be only for immune compromised people, but most of us are vitamin deficient, we dont eat fruits and veggies and we dont exercise. Treat your body like its your greatest investment. Love it because no one else will. I have fungus in my sinuses currently. It is going to take a while to remove them but, I will invest the time. I have to take a lot of herbs and teas.

I know it sounds crazy but it is called systemic candida infection. It is one of the major causes of diease. Please do some research on it.

My tinnitus began when I had braces put on as an adult. I have suffered with the resulting tinnitus off an on for about 20 years since then. I did find one dentist who specializes in TMJ, and he fit me with a splint. It took a few adjustments, but did seem to work for a couple of years. Over that period of time, I became somewhat cocky in my confidence that my tinnitus had been "cured", and gradually stopped wearing my appliance. After a very long flight to Hawaii where I felt quite a bit of neck strain, the tinnitus returned in full force. My dentist has since moved to a more affluent practice, and seems to put far less time or care into the treatment of TMJ, and I have not been able to find relief with a new appliance fitted bt him. After suffering and seeking help from so many medical practitioners throughout these many years, I am quite confident that there is a connection between muscular issues in the neck, and how it relates to the jaw. I still believe that, if the "right" appliance can be made to allow the jaw to sit in its "correct" position, this treatment along with remedial massage and possible even muscle relaxants (consult your physician, of course) could be a solution. Good luck! For all of you suffering with this horribly stressful condition, hang in there! There will be days when you don't think you can go on, but these will become fewer and fewer with time.
I have been suffering with the same problems since August 1986. I've been to doctors with no success. If you know of anything that will help, please let me know.
I read you're comment and I am so happy to see that im not the only one that has this. But i saw that you did a MRI. I would like to know did everything come out normal or no?

Please replay. I am going carzy.
Hey April,
my name is Paul. How you doing ? I got the same thing. The ear crackling and popping. have had since I can remember as a kid- now for over a year- My left ear is ringing constantly. I am a very active in shape guy that cant stand the dilemma. Above and beyond this, I had heart surgery(mitral valve repair ) done in Nov 2009- and I know my circulation has changed. I also had a lot of ear infections as a young kid, and so called narrow tubes, that would congest. i have to wonder is the ringing do to surgery or long term crackling popping in my left ear ? frustrating too get answers - been to specialists- MRI, etc. there are more things- further discuss ?
I agree that having the spine and neck out of alignment is part of the problem. I hope my story can help someone. For months I went to a chiropractor, problem never stopped, money wasted. Then I tried massage therapy, and it was only a quick fix, more money gone. Then I tried yoga, specifically kundalini yoga which anyone can learn to do free. I am so grateful to have begun practicing kundalini yoga because my spine and neck are aligning themselves and doing the yoga is so easy, enjoyable, and relaxing. The kundalini yoga moves are very easy for anyone to do, no complicated poses to learn. I use maya fiennes detox and destress. There is also a free youtube video by yogatoday called introduction to kundalini yoga which is almost the same thing. I have also started jogging which seems to help clear my sinuses. I jog as far as I can and then walk.

I believe the ear popping is mucus in the eustachian tube. I have post nasal drip that is worse when I eat foods like dairy and wheat. I think dairy causes a lot of mucus to build up. I try to eat the most basic foods now like oatmeal, fruits, vegetables, lean meats and fish. I avoid processed white flour and sugar foods like breads, pastas, candy, cola, and fried foods. For my vitamins I take a drop of iosol or a dropper of now foods fresh green black walnut hull wormwood complex in water first thing in the morning, both of which are iodine sources. Then I eat oatmeal or drink fiber in water. With dinner I take zinc, a multivitamin, and a vitamin b and c supplement. Before bed I take an acidophilus supplement. I try to do good things for my liver as well like eating eggs and rubbing liquid lecithin on my belly before I exercise, and before dinner taking milk thistle supplements. I believe I have what chinese medicine calls "liver fire."

Symptoms of Liver Fire
Red face and eyes
Irritability
Outbursts of anger
Dizziness
Ringing in the ears
Dry mouth and thirst
Bitter taste in the mouth
Muscle tightness in the neck and shoulders
Headache, especially on the sides of the head
Feel hot
Blood pressure rises with stress
Migraine
Dark, scanty urine
Insomnia
Constipation

I would add pot belly and pain in shoulder to liver problem symptoms.

I had horrible dry mouth and ear/jaw pain until I changed my diet and started exercising and doing yoga. I have had tonsil and salivary stones. Brushing my teeth with toothpaste and a little hydrogen peroxide knocked out the tonsil stones. To get rid of the salivary stone I sucked on sour candies like shockers and sour patch kids for a couple days. I felt the salivary stone move from by my ear, down to my jawline, then the awful thing came out in my mouth and I threw it away. The dry mouth and jaw pain stopped. One day I took a zinc supplement and about 15 minutes later I started salivating like crazy, so much that I had to eat a saltine to sop it up. I've read that salivary stones are calcium, so dairy and calcium supplements can be the culprit. I think that the salivary glands, eustachian tube, sinuses, teeth are so close together that excess mucus and neck and shoulder tightness block up the whole area.  I am the type of person who will do anything to avoid a doctor because I don't think surgeries and drugs are the answer, I'd rather try to change something I'm doing wrong and see if it helps. Anyway if any of this information helps anyone to improve their health I will be grateful that I was able to help someone end their suffering and improve their life. Life is beautiful and meant to be enjoyed and we all deserve to live pain free and in peace.
I just wanted to give some of you hope for Meniere's Disease!  I have now been in remission about 2 years!  I had Meniere's symptoms for about 10 years and then about 2 years ago my symptoms gradually went away!  I think some was due to getting into an intense exercise routine (eliptical and/or walking an hour every day and weight machines 3 times a week plus stretching exercises).  Also I think some of mine was due to hormones. I'm now 54 and going through menopause and I'm wondering if hormones had an effect on my symptoms.  I used to notice symptoms would get worse around middle of the month and during my periods.  Now that I don't have periods as much my Meniere's symptoms have gone away!  I just wanted to give you all hope that this disease CAN go into remisson!   I used to feel that my life was over and that I would never be normal again!  Please know that there is hope!
I've been dealing with these exact same symptoms all day every day since July 5 2005.  I remember the day it started.  I'm losing hope fast.  My 9 year old son teases me because I hold my nose and pop my ears about 1000 times a day and I'M ALWAYS TIRED,  I should be outside playing with him....and I choose to lay on the couch and sleep.  I don't know what to do.  Help
I used to do that too, for almost 5 yrs. As I read everyone's story, most of them are really all the same. I too went to all the diff drs, chasing all my symtoms (symptoms).  Being told it was allergies, stress, tmj, everything that others have been told in this forum. My 7th ENT finally diagnosed my ETD. He also had an answer. A few drs are doing a new surgery called ESTACHIAN TUBE DILATION.   I had this surgey and had immediate relief. The tv show THE DRS taped it.  You can see it by going on the DRS or googling, under videos, Dr Brian Weeks and estachian tube dysfunction.  Since I am better now, and believe me, I was suicidal with this pain and constant noise, as lots of others i know are. I am determined to let people know they have options. This may not be for everyone, but  I think this will be an answer that MANY people who have suffered longer than I did. It was mine. It's quick and absolutely painless.  Dr Weeks makes it look so simple...PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP!!! I am proof there are drs out there looking for answers to this problem.  You just need to find them!!
I know you posted about three years ago but I am now having the same problem, I know you are probably 'not active' as it were now and I apologise for intruding but did your popping eventually settle down as mine is popping constantly after a ear infection lasting around a month.
Sorry once again for troubling you and thanks for any replies.

Regards
Adele
I am 11 and i have had this since i was 9. i remember when i first had it. it was when i went in holiday to england i was popping my ears for fun. then i started having crackling noises and constantly having to pinch my nose and breath well not really breath (the thing u do on an airplane) i still haven't found a cure or something but the doctor said it could have been from some things so it may be an answer to some of ur problems, ear wax, fluid behind the ear drum, air behind the ear drum, or if ur young ur ear tubes are not so wide so the air downt travel so easily but he said when u get older the problem goes away. i hope that is why its happening to me so I'm gonna wait until i get older and see if it goes away IT IS SOOOOO ANNOYING! WHY IS IT HAPPENEING!
ill pray for ya i will (underlinded)
for sure i will pray for you
Thank you so much for this advice.  I am going to try the 3 in 1 machine oil asap.  Where can I get it?
Im very very surprised that there is so much ppl out there just like me!

I had this ear popping since i was a kid and im 23 now, and after i had my first sinus surgery in 2001 ( i was 12) and after that i have no problem with my ear, ( as far as i remember) and then i went abroad to study when i was 18, and then the symptom came back each year twice, march and october/november, mostly i will go to the ENT and he will prescribed those pills and i will be alright after a week or so, but this time im going insane, the ear keeps popping, and its just annoying.... and ive been to 2 different ENT's here, i even asked my ent doctor back home to wrote me a prescription but i dont even think its useful, i ate so many medication and still not helping and im pissed :( its annoying and especially i have to teach and so on, and believe it or not when you touch the area of your ear, you will feel slightly a goosebumps, or like a very short electricity, and i know there is something wrong with me, and i can't meet my usual doctor because im stuck here to work :( im so stressed out! Please can anyone help me? :(

i need to suck in my nose every time to "close" my ear but it happened  like 1000times and its super super annoying and i wanna go back to Normal, its been almost 1 month already! please help!!!

***@****
Ask your ENT specialist what he going to do and what would be result?
Their human mechanic, they need to tell a truth to patient. I have long
my story about my own ears problem. Its can not write whole thing here.
Just you remember, whenever Dr. want to do ear surgery ... what is the
result would be?
I experience ear popping and stuffy sinuses when I don't drink enough water, or eat not-so-healthy foods, especially refined sugar, fried oil, dehydrating foods, dairy products, drugs and alcohol.  When it gets really bad my ears stay open and I can hear my "windy breathing" as if the ears decided to become a second pair of nostrils!  The more talking I do, the more likely they will open, not cool!

AMA doctors diagnosed me with AS, I diagnose myself with skeletal fluorosis.
I have bad hips(bone on bone) and I believe this burdens my lymphatic system as it has to manage the removal of bone debris, any toxins associated with this and inflammation.  I plan on relieving some of the stress to my lymphatic system by doing a liver/gallbladder flush regularly aside from a healthy diet, supplements and super-foods.  I also plan to post the results for this later.

I hope this helps, I know how annoying these ear problems can be.
My ears pop too, but I think it's because I'm under a lot of stress and my muscles get really tense beginning with my calves and moving up my back to my neck and even around to my face. This also causes e to get a stuffy nose and migraine headaches. It helps when I have people walk on my back an massage the back of my head and my neck.
omg ! we experience the very same thing ! the doctors cant find out whats wrong with me ive had this since i was 10 i am now 17 ! its horrible i tell ya . i wonder why nothing works
           Lipo-Flavonoid Plus

I found this at walmart, i'm trying it now, so I don't know if it works yet, but i'm willing to try.
I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way as I've dealt with my left ear popping on and off for a few years now and it got worse when I had an infection deep beneath the root of my tooth which probably spread near my ear.  The ear popping got worse this year as I was quite stressed at work and led on to vertigo.   Even when just talking to people or singing or going up and down the lifts or driving in my car triggers my left ear popping for no reason.  Gets even worse when I'm weak or having my period.
Doctor sent me for Cat Scan and it came out clear thankfully and she diagnosed that it's probably related to sinusitis and provided referral to ENT.  Also had a tympanometry test which the audiologist said there may be fluid in my middle ear but ENT dismissed it. Chiropractor found that the tension in my neck and shoulders was attibuted to misalignment of my neck possibly from a whiplash I experienced from an accident many years ago.  Chiro prescribed sessions 3 times a week which helped.  In addition, what's been working for me is ehinacea/horseradish/garlic/zinc tablets for sinusitis, iron & folic acid tablets for my vertigo and resistance to pressure changes and immunity, and exercise (what I enjoy like walking and yoga and dancing so it's not adding further stress to my daily life).  I stayed away from high impact exercises like body attack and resistance training like body pump as it added tension to my neck and shoulders area and subsequently added stress and worsen the ear popping episodes.  
HI John,

I am having the same problem you are describing. I was wondering if you have been able to find a solution?

Kind Regards,

Paul  
I' ve had the same popping in the ears problem for about 2 years now. Like some others have said, I think it has to do with the spine and neck not being aligned. Someone also mentioned meditation and positive thinking and I believe that to be true.

I haven't healed completely but have notice great improvements. Here is what worked for me.

Daily meditation. focus on the breath for 20 minutes to 45 minutes a day (even 15 minutes will be helpful)

positive thoughts and affirmations. during meditation or just throughout the day tell yourself that your ears don't pop and that you are healthy and truly believe it.

Practice qigong/tai chi/ or yoga

Some westerners may look at these eastern medicine techniques and think its all bull, but its worked for centuries. Have an open mind and give it a try. It's not an overnight fix, it takes time and patience, but its worth it. I've gone a day or two at time without popping and will keep at it until I'm completely healed. You all have the healing power within you. Good luck everyone! I know how annoying this can be.
I am 30 and was going crazy by the constant ear popping, I tried something very simple for relief from this. Text me at 6785109032 and I'll share what I did.
I'm having it now.  Had it several times before usually when I awake.  Then for awhile, when there is sudden noise or air passing, it begins sounding like popcorn in a microwave.  Then it goes away most of the day.  It's strange because it's the middle of the afternoon and I'm having it.  I've had this, as far as I can remember, for about 4 years off and on.  I'm accustomed to it although it is annoying.  What usually brings some relief for me is sticking my finger in my left ear, for that's the one that does this, and eventually it stops.  Also, I've had times when I could hear the blood flowing in the same ear and learned it was due to the large blood vessels close by.  Annoying, yes, but if I'm involved, not a problem.  
Hi Guys,

I tried raw-unfiltered honey and the popping in my right ear (where I have it the most) has reduced by a lot!. I highly recommend trying raw honey it does helps to reduce the popping (and improves your health overall!) I been using it only for couple days now and so far I am impressed with the results. I am also going to buy something for candida. I am pretty sure the popping has also to do with having candida growing in your body, particularly in your mouth.

I hope this helps! I been suffering with this for almost 4 years now! I am finally seeing hope!  

best wishes to all of you

Paul
Has anyone, other than Diane Taylor (dianetaylor) had Eustachian Tube Dilation?

It sounds as if it may have promise with this condition,,,haven't yet looked into it, but will very soon...

Robert
Very interesting topic we have here, with a lot of good advice too.. I'm a 21-year old male who has recently given up a very unhealthy lifestyle. For the past 6-8 months, with steadily increasing ferocity, my ears and head pressure have given me problems with no let up. By that I'm meaning having to force my ears to pop every 30 seconds or so, and every time I swallow. After seeing 4 ENTs over 3 different countries (I was travelling at the time) the general consensus was to use a decongestant, nasal spray and do regular inhalations morning and evening. To my dismay, the steam and medicines didn't really help at all, but it's getting better and better the more I exercise and watch my diet.

The ABSOLUTE WORST thing you can do when suffering with this is to force your ears to pop, either by pinching your nose or moving your jaw creating the few sacred minutes of relief. All that happens is this becomes necessity - having to pop your ears forcibly more and more often - and eventually the ear drum is damaged irreversibly. Picture a drum skin on a snare drum perhaps, with enough adjusting the skin is going to get frail and damaged, which is exactly what happens to your ear drum.

So, my advice to anyone who's reading this is to get checked by a doctor, and if they find nothing seriously untoward (like they didn't with me) your best bet is to start living a more healthy lifestyle. Mine seemingly stemmed from a nasty acid reflux problem. Try forget about it, and it'll eventually go away. The best thing for now is for you to know that you aren't alone going through this daily hell inside your head, and there is a solution.

Oh, and a medicine called pan-d for acid reflux does the trick.
You're not a hypochondriac, as that is pretty much what I've been dealing with for the past few months.  Went to an ENT today because even though it has gotten much better, it is still persisting.  The ENT however seemed like he didn't have a clue and just wanted to charge me a bunch of money.  Mine has been slowly getting better over the past few months by being as calm as possible and listening to 'new age' and Tibetan buddhist type music for healing and meditation.  As it was the constant bad sound of harleys that hurt me, I figured some calming good sounds may help, and they have way more than a trip to the ENT did.  I guess all the prayers have helped as well. :).  I'm just glad I saw through his BS, and didn't let them put me through the ringer.  Blessings of good health to all those so out of it, they had to come this site for their ears.
Jubal; et al, it was amazing to me, when I was making a series of consults with ENTs several years ago, that they actually had NO clue as to what to do for me....it seems to be a hugely common lament from those who suffer from this thing...

I can provide only my own experience...that it can get better over time...the problem is being able to identify what the root cause might be:

Either it's Eustachian Tube DYSFUNCTION (Patency of the ET)
Or it's due to ET DISORDER (ET Blockage)
or BOTH at the SAME TIME!

Robert E. Yorke
Correction to what I posted above:

Patulous Eustachian Tube DISORDER is ET patency
Eustachian Tube DYSFUNCTION is ET blockage...

Please forgive my errors....

Robert
Tons of people have same problem, I think this is environmental. I had started having this problem in the fall and winter, in summer it goes away.  I had this exact same ear popping noise last winter as well, it does drive people insane in a quiet environment, it is better keep ear engaged with tons of other noises such as music, TV and so on.

IM GOING CRAZY!! CANT BELIEVE SO MANY PEOPLE SUFFER FROM EAR POPPING!! PLEASE HELP IF ANYONE KNOWS ANYTHING THAT DEFINATELY WORKS!! i have been suffering for 3 years now everytime i swollow both ears pop its making me feel dizzy not myself and im im sure its causing anxiety and im always sleepy!! im going to try all your information on curing it i am currently going back and forth from the hospital and not getting any further :(((!!!! please help!!!
what did you use for your acid reflux?
i have had the same for a number of years...  but i've also had jaw issues that were affecting my voice.  I started wearing a mouth guard to fix my occlusion issues in my jaw and when i wear it the clicking goes away.  As soon as it is out the clicking comes back.

I'm not saying this is the problem for all of you but it may be that some of you are experiencing these issues due to imbalances in your jaw/muscles on the side of your head.
Lets all meet up with our popping problem lol , no but seriously ive had this for around 8 years ,i feel a fool when i have to hold my nose and sniff hard to get my ears back to normal in town or out and about!! so embarrasing :(
I had a CT done of my sinuses and it showed all clear except for some very minor issues in the ethymoid sinuses. My ear problems persist. Did not;help me much, but you may get a different result.
All,

I have posted in here before and I have found something that truly helps. Please, try chamomile tea with some raw honey on it you will see a HUGE difference!.  

I have noticed that the popping has definitely something to do with the fluid that some of you have mentioned before. This type of sinus fluid gets stuck somewhere between your nose and throat making your ears pop like crazy.

I live in Denver CO and the weather in here is not the best for those who suffer from this condition, it is too dry. When I go to more humid places the popping stops due the the fact the fluid can more easily get out (because of the humidity).

I will continue posting here as I learn more about condition. Please try chamomile tea!!! it will help you a lot

Best wishes

Paul
hey

I have the same issue with my ears. do you want to talk about and see what both can do about it? I have found a couple things that truly help to reduce the popping.

let me know!

Paul
I have been having the same issues for over a year now.  My ears are constantly plugging up, popping and I have to yawn or keep opening my mouth real wide to open them up.  I have been to Oral surgeon, they said small arthritis on one side of my jaw but nothing major.  The ENT said no idea either but think ear tubes might help regulate them.  I had them when I was kid (many years ago).  Was wondering if anyone had tried the tubes in the ear and they helped??  It is exhausting to go through this all the time.  
For the past 3 years, my issue came on acute (meaning all of a sudden), I use to live a very normal life, on the verge of going Air Force Pararescue, I'm currently in Federal Law Enforcement.  Anyways, I was living my life normally, at times I usually got more sick or I got more colds than the average person but for all means I never had ear issues or serious/bothersome health problems.  One day I get a cold, 3 years ago, and it never went away, I'm in my 30's, late 30's, time is of the essence, ever since that fate full day my life has been on hold it seems.  I get chronic Eustachian tube dysfunction, rhinitis.  The symptoms I get are mainly pressure behind my right ear drum, constant ear popping when I swallow, a sensation of itching in my ear, if that's not going on the inflammation of my nasal tissue, mainly in my Right nasal passage, a irritation, stinging feeling rotates from my left to right nostril but mainly starts out on my Right side. During the last 3 years I had about 10 days of continuous normalcy once, one of the allergist I was seeing put me on prednisone but it only worked for a few days, after that the symptoms where back.  I have children, these issue have completely frustrated my sense of freedom and at times has taken.......well many times taken away quality time with my love ones.  I have literally seen 14 different Ear Nose and Throat doctors (ENT's), 3 different allergist, I've traveled to San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Tucson, Phoenix, Scottsdale, half of the ENT's would recommend me to see another ENT, I've been to the Mayo clinic in Scottsdale....(Highly Disappointed...HIGHLY DISAPOINTED, I saw a Sinus Specialist who did absolutely nothing but over charge me and left me with a huge bill) I've had balloon sinuplasty, that was a disaster...turned out my sinuses are not the problem, I had a ear tube in my bothersome ear, that turned out to be a bigger disaster because the doctor blew out my ear drum.  I've been on Immunotherapy, that's hasn't done anything....I've lost so much faith in the medical community, we have made so much advancements as a society but yet we cant get things you would think could be fix able down.  Anyways, I might get balloon Eustachian tubeboplasty, that is a newer procedure that is not FDA approved but im running out of options to get back to being normal, Ballon-Eustachina tubeoplasty is a catheter placed in your Eustachian tube and is dilated , it suppose to cure Eustachian tube problems, but though the 40+ nasal endoscopy my Eustachian tube looks dilated, I don't know, I'm running out of money and patience, so...Imma go see one more doctor and if this doesn't work out....Im just gonna drink a beer, chew some tobacco and say screw it....If I'm stuck I'm stuck...and I guess I'm gonna have to live with this crap, this aint going away and its frustrating as hell.  BUT out of the 25 plus docs I have seen, the very few doctors that actually put time and effort into patient care, even though they have not fixed me they might be able to fix someone on this blog.... DOCTOR JHON MACIAS OF PHOENIX, ENT----he can repair any ear drum, he is a marvelous  surgeon, AND DOCTOR BRIAN WEEKS OF SAN DIEGO---he is the guy that offers Eustachian tubeoplasty, great guy and spends quality time...., AND FROM AN ALLERGIST PERSPECTIVE, DR. MARK SHULBERT OF PHOENIX ....awesome guy, he really tries, with him I actually got some relief, and he has honestly tried to figure my problems out.  AND DR GEORGE MAKOL OF TUCSON, on a side note, don't waste your time with the MAYO CLINIC.