Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Constant mucus production

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Constant mucus production

I have been dealing with this "immense" mucous production for eleven years. Eight years ago, I was diagnosed with "mild deviation in the left nostril." They performed a septoplasty on me and I was fine for about 3 months. After two years, I went back to the doctor to tell him that after the third month everything is just like before the surgery. Needless to say,  they performed "another" septoplasty and took away some of the adenoids (adenoids). It's been 2 years since the second surgery, and nothing has changed. The only difference between the first and the second surgery is that after the second one, when I blow my nose mucus comes out, whereas after the first one I would have to bring the mucus from my nose to the throat in order to spit it out. What drives me absolutely insane is that I do this procedure about seven hundred times a day! When I get the flu, that number goes even higher. Dairy products and citrus are irritants to me. The last couple of years I've been getting trouble while breathing due to the constant exhaling I perform in order to force the mucus to come out form the nose not the mouth. When that mucus comes out, it's not green. It's white and extremely thick.

P.S. I used to smoke eight years ago but not anymore.

I would appreciate any type of help from you.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The constant mucus production and nasal congestion could be due to vasomotor rhinitis, in which the symptoms occur in response to a trigger, like eating spicy food or going outside in the cold.  The primary treatment is simply avoiding the things that trigger your symptoms. It is often treated with a drying nasal spray (like Atrovent) and antihistamines like chlopheneramine and lovatidine are effective. Nasal decongestant drops too relieve congestion. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.