Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Constant nasal congestion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Constant nasal congestion

I have had constant nasal congestion and nasal drip the the past five years. After my first pregnancy I developed an allergy to cats. We got rid of our cats 2 yrs ago. We have hardwood floors and new furniture and there is no relief. I have boxes of Kleenex everywhere and sleep very little because I cannot sleep. Allergist has put me on all sorts of combos of meds. I saw an ENT who said everything looks good. I do the saline nasal cleanse, Zyrtec twice a day and two nasal sprays twice a day. No relief. I've been on vacation out of state and out of country and still no relief. On a good day I only blow my nose twenty times. On a bad day it's like 20x an hour. I only have relief when put on steroids and its only durinng the course of treatment. I also had relief when I was in Maryland. I was there for two weeks. I need help because lack of sleep makes me very cranky.
Just record keeping first, you profile show you as a male.

Now to the part I can't answer, but can sympathize with, congestion. It sounds like your problem is both congestion an drip, right?  I have just congestion myself, but enough to interfere with my sleep.

From a first reading the I note with specific interest the following.

Nasal spray twice a day - what type?  Afirin and that type can not be used every day, they can cause a worsening of the condition.

Saline spray, I use that and also use a netipot irrigation.  Here I note only to not use tap water for the irrigation - I used distilled water.  These two use together have not solved my congestion, but I think they have help some.

Steroids never cure, I believe.

Maryland, this looks like a real lead.  Were you near the sea? What was different?  What time of year?  If you were inside a lot, then what kine of heat, cooling, furnishings, and so on... look for a reason you were better.

You have had  more medical attention than I, I have only discussed my condition with my primary care who prescribed a nasal spray that I can use twice a day (every 12 hours) but it helps only a little.  In my case my problem is clearly sinus swelling related, and isn't much of a problem when I am up, sitting or standing, standing/walking most relief for me.  Does you physical activity have any affect?  Back to Maryland, were you more physically active while there?