Constant need to clear my throat
For the past several weeks I have had what seems to be a constant over-production of mucus draining in my throat.  It's like I have to clear my throat every few minutes -- VERY ANNOYING!!  Now my throat is getting sore from all the clearing and I'm waking up at night coughing from that 'tickling' sensation in the back of my throat.
I have noticed for a couple years that I seem to have an overactive mucus problem -- especially after I eat I always have to clear my throat and sometimes I actually cough up a mucus glob. (sorry it's gross, I know)  Any ideas of what causes this overproduction?  or what can be done about it?  or why it seems to be getting worse?   I've got some health anxiety issues too, so of course I start thinking all kinds of crazy things....
Thanks for any input!!
I'm not a Doctor but I found that it helped if I stopped drinking alcohol, especially wine.
Also my doc told me I had excessive acid reflux that was causing me to clear my throat.
Hope this helps.
about 2 months ago I had a few non stop coughing episodes that really hurt my throat.  Since then the initial swollen pain in the neck and throat went away.  Now I am stuck with a constant need to clear my throat.  I probably cough numerous times a day due to a tickling sensation in the back of my throat.  Its so annoying.  I had nightmares go through my mind wondering if I had a hole ripped in my throat since the horrible coughing episode I had.  Maybe it is non-reparable and I will just have to live with this constant coughing and need to clear my throat.  I have read so many blogs on this and doctors always tell these people that this is most likely caused by acid reflux. I cannot agree with that because a tickling feeling in the throat causing you to cough all the time and feeling the need to clear ones throat constantly has nothing to do with heartburn.  My take on this is that doctors have no clue on what this could be.  Sometimes I wish I could have a little piece of equipment that can be put in the back of my throat to vacuum all my dripping tickling mucus.  Also the machine could maybe scrape away whatever feels lodged in the back of the right side of my throat.  Its so freaking annoying and Im starting to lose my faith in all doctors who keep on saying its acid reflux because hearburn/acid reflux is completely different than what we are all describing.  
I agree that it really does not seem like acid reflux or heartburn!  For me it's a constant, annoying feeling like I have mucus building up in the back of my throat that I need to keep clearing out.  I feel like I'm driving everyone around me crazy by the continuous clearing - and sometimes productive sounding noises!  I have not talked to my doctor about it yet because I keep hoping it will just go away.  Like if it were allergies I thought with the onset of cold weather it would end - but it hasn't.  So I just might call next week to see what he thinks....
The tickle in the throat is so horrible!!  Hope you're finding some relief... :-)