Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Constant sore throat and ear pain (one side), thoughts?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

I have been to three doctors, two general and one ENT. About 2.5 weeks ago I started feeling a sore throat on the right side (this side always has bothered me on and off since I had strep in august 2013). I do have TMJ, I clench my jaw at night and often during the day. I have been having ear pain on that side. I did a endoscopy of my nose, ear and throat and the doctor said I was fine, just inflamed. Any ideas why inflammation can last this long? I was concerned with cancer but she told me she saw and felt nothing cancerous in my tonsil and throat. My ear is functioning properly but has pressure. My throat feels sore at the back right side, just a pain that is uncomfortable when swallowing as if I cut it eating or something, and it radiates upwards. Tonsils aren't noticeably swollen or anything, docs all said I look ok. No pain in the center of the throat and I have a small swollen lymph node on that side that all doctors said was normal. What can I do? Should I worry about this and press my doctor for a biopsy? I have been reading about tonsil stones and I have deep crypts on that side, was wondering if that could be the problem?

Thanks.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, your symptoms could be due to recurrent tonsillitis. This can cause the lymph glands to enlarge. Throat pain, difficulty swallowing, fever, scratchiness in the throat, post nasal drip, malaise and loss of appetite are symptoms of tonsillitis. It can be caused by bacteria like streptococcus or it could be a viral infection. Bacterial infections need antibiotics. Recurrent tonsillitis is an indication for tonsillectomy, as the tonsils may harbor the infection which keeps flaring up, or they may develop new infections. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance. Regards.

I had identical symptoms and just had ultrasound of my thyroid last week.  They told me I had a thyroid lesion in that area.  They also told me that it was nothing to worry about but if it got any bigger they would biopsy it.