Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Constrition/Obstruction in Throat with Dizziness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

I am an active 21 year old male weighing 165 pounds.  Roughly 10 months ago I began getting "attacks" which feel as though a lump or constiction occurs in my throat, roughly at the point at which my neck meets my clavical region.  The spells last for up to 20 minutes, and then usually subside and do not exceed one attack per day.  An ENT specialist told me that I have some acid reflux.  Thusly, I ignored the spells for the time being.  During the spells I feel lightheaded and disconnected, and it feels as though breaths are unproductive (as if im not getting air).  After about 6 months I went back because they were persisting; blood work and a sperometer were done which rules out infection and low lung capacity.

While in europe during the summer I had my first severe attack on a train. My throat felt constricted and weezy and I had BAD disorientation.  It subsided, but sinse the attack in europe at least 10 more have happened.  I'm on Protonix for acid reflux which fixed my heartburn issues BUT I still get these terrifying spells.  I recently got an Albuterol inhaler to see if it would assist the breathing (it doesn't help).  The spells can happen at any time whether I am exerted or not.

I have been exercising for years and this NEVER used to happen before 10 months ago and my lifestyle hasn't changed.  I am constantly worried that an attack will happen during class (and i has) and I don't know what to do.  

These attacks are effecting my social life and my ebility to exercise.  Please help.
I have the same thing!!!!!!!!!  I'm glad I'm not alone.  I had my thyroid removed last spring due to thyriod cancer, and now all of the sudden this.  I assumed they were related, but I've been referred to an ENT.  I am a 29 year old very active female.  I have the exact symptoms as you.  I even get winded when eating at times.  It is very scary.  Hang in there and I will let you know what the ENT says in 2 weeks.
Thanks =o)  I hope your appointment is more informative than mine was.