Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Continual dizziness and ear pressure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Continual dizziness and ear pressure

Hi everyone for about four weeks now I have been dealing with feeling of dizziness on a daily basis.  It's not a dizziness like I'm on a merry go round but more of a feeling of just being off when I move my head in different positions.  This all seemed to start after I had a really bad cold then one weekend my family and I went to a amusement park and I rode on a simulator ride that was pretty bad and since then I have been experiencing these feelings.  I have had no nausea, vomiting or headaches with this dizziness.  The main symptoms I have is a feeling of fullness/ pressure in my ears,  pressure at times in my cheeks and eyebrow area and the feeling of being off when I move my head certain ways.  I have recently seen a ENT he thought maybe I had BPPV but dismissed that because I don't have the dizziness when im lying down.  He did a balance test which he said I passed perfectly.  He put me on a antibiotic thinking maybe I had a sinus issue from the last cold I had but the antibiotics haven't seemed to
clear any of this up.  He then told me he believes I have what's called vestibular migraines.  I have read a lot about it and it doesn't seem to really describe how I'm feeling. From what I read I seem to fit more with having something called vestibular neuritis but that seems to clear up within a few weeks and I have had this ongoing for about  a month now.  I did ask him if any of those simulator rides can do something to mess you up and he said yes but said it most likely would have shown up on my balance test.  I'm just really frustrated at this point because I'm   dealing with this feeling of being off everyday and it doesn't seem like I'm getting any answers to resolve this.  Sorry for this being so long but has anyone else experienced the symptoms I have been having and been told what it possibly could be?  Thanks
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Besides inner ear disorders, other conditions can cause symptoms of dizziness. If you are a hypertensive, then dizziness could sometimes be due to postural hypotension. A condition in which the peripheral arteries dilate, leading to pooling of blood in the peripheries. This in effect causes decreased circulation of blood resulting in dizziness/lightheadedness. Also, certain neurological disorders like cerebellar disorders can cause problems posture and dizziness. Check with your doctor to rule out these conditions.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.