Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Could an uvula touching the tongue cause difficulty swallowing?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

I'm not saying difficulty swallowing as in the uvula itself is blocking things, but my throat is.

I've had difficulty swallowing for about 2 months. Did blood tests which were fine, x-ray that showed nothing and acid reflux meds that did nothing. Other symptoms are that I felt something in my throat sometimes, which I've now found out was the uvula, and ear pain sometimes. I'm going to an ENT for an endoscopy or barium swallow in 2 weeks.

I looked in the mirror and saw that my uvula was actually touching my tongue. It wasn't big or anything, but it was still touching it. So I held down a spoon against my tongue for 10mins so it wasn't touching my uvula as an experiment. When I pulled the spoon out, I quickly drank water and I had no difficulty swallowing it at all for the first sip.

So why would a uvula touching the tongue cause my throat to tighten or something and cause difficulty swallowing?
Hi;

Dr knows best, but it doesn't seem the uvula should touch the tonge so as to constrict the troat.
   I notice you don't mention med usage so am unsure of angioedema, but to me, ear pain associated with the uvula protrusion indicates a possible allergy.
   Seems this may be more of a problem when trying to sleep on your back?
It's not really too worse trying to swallow on my back.

One more symptom is that whenever I swallow, my stomach makes some noise and I can feel it too (air escaping I guess).
A related discussion, MY throat was started.