Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Crackling sound in ear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Crackling sound in ear

For over a year, I've had this weird crackling noise in my right ear. It happens when I hear loud and slightly high pitch sounds. I always hear this in concerts. The sound isn't the same as the popping when ears equalize pressure, it's more like static. I had an ear exam a few weeks ago, and the doctor said my ears were otherwise perfect, hearing is very good and nothing seemed physically wrong.
It could be ear wax...
i too have had this crackling sound also in my right ear. I find if iam on the phone and it is up against my left ear the crackling really goes off. I have also recently been getting dizzy or off balance feeling which the doctors have tried to fix with stemital and serc but with no relief. Please keep me updated on your condition. Goodluck
Got the crackling too!
gets worse when i hear sounds, almost like a distorted speaker.
Got it for the first time about three years ago, went to an ear speciallist who said he's never heard of the problem before (very encouraging!.)
Eventually i was diagnosed with a sinus problem, had a minor opp which worked for a while then the crackling came back.
It comes and goes, it's the first time i've found anyone else that suffers from it as well
All the best
Lawrence
I have the same problem in my right ear (I've always noticed that one is a little dull compared to my left, and I feel compelled to use a phone only with my left ear).  I first noticed it when I was in the recording studio and listening to the guitar player make a raucous noise on a crappy amp (he swears it was musical..I had to leave the room or cover my ear).  Now, it happens more often, usually a certain frequency on the guitar, live or in studio, but as a drummer, I don't notice it at all while playing drums, even blast beats...it seems to be just that frequency.  I suspect it started when I was a teenager (Im 27) and stood close to a very loud speaker at a rock concert.  I know I should be using ear plugs when I play music, but even Hearos brand doesnt let me hear the high frequencies I need when I play music.
Curious;  Probably way off base but still curious;

My voice is amplified in one ear so i speak very softly.  When I raise my voice my skull vibrates and when I yell My voice is distorted really bad and I get a crackling sound equal in frequency as my voice.  The crackling in my case is a hole in my skull vibrating.  Best way to demonstrate this is...

take a piece of sheet metal and cut a short slit in the middle.  now take a vibrating chisel, such as a dremmel tool or engraver, and place it on one end.  The slit vibrates under it's own frequency/noise.

I wonder if your problem(s) are similar in nature.  Somewhere in the skull you have a hole that shouldn't be there..