Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Cyst in earlobe?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Cyst in earlobe?

I had a small lump on my left ear almost a year ago. It causes pain when I touch it. After some time, it grew bigger. Now, there is another lump on my right ear. I went to consult a doctor and he said that they're just cysts and will not cause any harm unless they're causing problem to me then I'll have to remove it by surgery. Since they're not a big problem to me, so I decided to just leave them alone. However, now they started to shift places at about few millimetres a few days. They're moving downward towards my neck and no longer in my earlobes. So I'm curious that why they can move from one place to another? Is that Ganglion Cyst? But isn't Ganglion cyst only appear on joints and tendons?

The description suits into an epidermal cyst. These cysts are harmless but on repeated poking this might become sore. Ganglion as rightly mentioned by you appears commonly over the joints and tendons. If you are really bothered about having those cysts better get rid of it and ask for histopathological examination to confirm the diagnosis.

Regards
OHNS2010

Regards
OHNS2010
Thanks for your reply. May I know what is histopathological examination? By the way, I woke up today with my right earlobe kinda swollen, where the cyst is situated. I guess it's due to the movement I cause while I'm sleeping?

Histopathological examination means examination of the tissue sections under the microscope.

Regards
OHNS2010
Oh, ok. I'll think about it then. Thank you.