Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Damage after being choked?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Damage after being choked?

I was in an abusive relationship and my BF choked me several times.  I am finding it hard to swallow, food seems to get stuck in my throat all the time now.  Is it possible this is damage from the choking?

I have also been diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism.  Could it be that an elarged parathyroid would cause this?
Avatar n tn
Same thing happen to me. I was choked and now I have bad neck pain and a very hard time swallowing... sometimes is seems as if my throat will get locked up. Thinking about going to the hospital, but wanted to research before wasting my time in the ER.
it is not a waste of time honey being strangled is a serious thing your neck is very important its connected to your heart and brain i have a bad heart from being strangled by my sons dad get it checked xxxx
My bf just choked me 3 times & now on the left side of my neck is in pain .. Whats wrong ??
This is ironic. I complained to my doctor that my throat feels achy and as if it is closing up and is scratchy and it has been hard to swallow. I have also been hoarse. I wrap up tight in the cold weather to be careful not to get sick, since I am taking anti rejection drugs from receiving a heart transplant a little over a year ago. A few days past 3 weeks ago, my long time now ex-boyfriend went off into some kind of fanatical rage and choked my larynx by depression for about 30 to 40 seconds. I thought I was going to die. I called the police and now that he has been arrested, all of a sudden he has voluntary memory lapse of choking me. When it happened, I went to the emergency room to get checked out since he had also hit me with a fisted hand to the face several times. My right eye had the most damage and I thought it was specifically from the strikes to my face. I had multiple people inform me that this is what happens when a person is choked  and the blood vessels in your eyes begin to burst.  I have also experienced a blood clot in some mucus coughed from my throat. I will need to contact my doctor again to find out what toll this might take on my new transplant. I did a search about the clot because nothing like that has ever happened before and I figured it might have something to do with the choking incident.
I feel like the hard to swallow thing is a physical reaction to daily anxiety. I feel like my esophagus need adjusted sometime and it's crunchy. I had neck problems before really being choked hard.
it has been afew days but I was choked and now I have had such a hard time swallowing.  this is not the first time but I was not choked that hard the first few.  I am not into that stuff. we were arguing and then he comes at me like he wants to kill me.
My boyfriend chocked me twice today really hard my throat is sore and I'm scared that the pain going to get worse.
I had an incident with my ex-fiance today, although what occurred was the last straw. I am one of the women that was with a man who like to have bipolar trips and get very violent. As well as stay with this man because I loved him and things would get better. WRONG!! Until i had very a long talk with a close friend of mine who showed, told, and let me mentally know and feel the strength I had to just no longer care or put up with the BS. Things got violent from slapping to punching and choking, all to me. and all above the chest region. I was choked by his forearm and it got really scary I am a petite woman, and he is a 6'6" 300 lb man bearing his weight on my neck. It wasn't for a very long time although my neck is very sore close to the bottom of my neck and towards the sides. It does not hurt to swallow i just feel like i could throw up. Will marks and pain increase over several days because this is horrible.
Did anyone have any major throat problems that continued long after the choking?
I was choked recently, half my face is swollen and bruised, I also have hearing loss in my left ear.  Not sure if it is from being choked tossed around or punched...will my hearing come back?  Or should I get checked out
RUN! that is not love . if you think you can help him by staying your wrong get out ,SAFELY then tell him if you choose to still be with him that he needs anger management help for his miss placed anger then yall can be together!!! ive been in a abusive relationship for 8 years and i am just now coming to this conclusion..... do whats best for you! <3
Everyone needs to get out of these relationships.  This is insane. Of course you'll have trouble swallowing after being choked. Go to the ER, have his @ss arrested, and never go back.  
Hello, I am writing a book and a character ends up getting choked (the intention is to kill) and ends up fainting and waking up 4 hours later.  I was wondering what would the symptoms be? (Sorry if I'm being offenses, please tell me if I am. So sorry but I can't find info anywhere else.
Scared when realising he passed out Via lack of breath, Pain when swallowing, bloodshot eye or eyes, racing heart, fear that the pain from swallowing will lead to throat closing.
Thats my experience in a nut shell.  
Not very pleasent.
Hope this helped.
I was choked 10 days ago hard .I have really bad neck pain as I've got a weak neck anyway , I too have had trouble swallowing maybe it's where my throat is still swollen .For those that think it's easy just walking away were at the biggest risk of being killed when were planing to or have just left .
I realize that this is an old post, but I feel that somebody has to let you know that yes, it is a very offensive (insensitive) question to post. We are people that have gone through very traumatic and life altering experiences & trying to find answers for the serious physical (not mentioning the emotional) after-effects.
  You are lucky that you don't know the feeling during or after being choked first hand. If you are doing research for a book, I suggest talking to doctors, review medical journals, ufc fighters, etc. You could even post a request such as "I am an author doing research for an upcoming novel. Is there anybody who has been through the experience of being choked that is willing to share the after effects with me?".
I got choked by my dad and my eyes started throbbing and they feel like they are popping out of my head and it looks that way too a little bit
Would feel like head was detached from the body - like you&#39;re a rag doll and you need to physically hold it up - not because of pain but because the muscles don&#39;t work. However, pain is a big part of being choked too. Nerve pain, sharp, bouncing around the arms like knives. Have to concentrate on breathing to be able to do it. Can&#39;t breath and talk and swallow at the same time - must concentrate on each task. Talking is extremely difficult. Breathing is labored and strained but involuntarily interrupted.Swallowing difficult. I felt like water was coming out the side of my neck when I drank hours later. Involuntary defecating while passed out. Constant nausea and feeling of death for three weeks. Unable to lay flat without feeling like head is going to fall off. Red swollen eyes. Swelling in back of neck lasts about a week. Little bruising at first. Deep black bruises that appear in throat region two-five days later but disappear after a few days. Black spots that appear in the eyes three weeks later and last for two weeks.  Looming feeling of death.
Also red streaking in skin running down the neck toward the shoulders lasts about five days.
Also no offense taken. It is important that people know the damage that being choked can cause. Laws are just recently being changed to include choking as an aggravated assault charge. Prolonged silence never helped anyone.
I have been, and my right lymph node is still swollen after a week....my husband is an abusive drunk and makes me feel worthless! I don&#39;t know what to do....
I got choked for the first time on 6/2/16, and will be the last time! I ran to next door, they called police for me and he was arrested. Now I am waiting for court day. I went to ER and Urgent care to get examed, they didn't seem to care much but x-ray my arm fully. My neck/throat is uncomfortable, I am having more and more hard time swallow. Sad to hear so many out there experienced these?! I am going to schedule for my primary physician to check the whole thing for me. I will make him pay!