Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Deviated Septum from occasional Coke use?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

During the past year, I’ve used cocaine occasionally approximately 6-9 times.  Each time I used it, I’d do like 4-5 lines in my right nostril.  I don’t think that I did a “lot” in one sitting, but who knows.  There were always at least two weeks between use and, many times, months.

Anyway, last time I did a really small amount and seemed to get a “sinus infection.”  I went to the doctor and then to an ENT specialist and they said that I have a deviated septum.  I was up-front with the doctor about the occasional use of cocaine, but he didn’t seem to think that was the cause of the deviated septum.  (I’ve never been hit in the face or had any facial trauma.)  But, I’m still convinced that I’ve somehow done some serious damage.

What does everyone think?  Can someone who’s used cocaine less than 10 times deviate or perforate their septum?  Or does it take a LOT of money and cocaine to actually do that type of damage?

Needless to say, I will never touch it again, as this has scared me completely straight!

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

BTW, I’ve never had access to a “lot” of the stuff, so it wasn’t like I was blowing massive rails.  At most it may have been like ~1 gram per 3 people – and I always did less than everyone else.

Drloomis82
A deviated septum is structural, meaning your nose is either genetically formed that way or it was broken or bluntly traumatized into that position.  Cocaine use cannot cause that. It WILL cause holes to burn right through your septum, but I believe you'd be having nose bleeds.  I don't know how much usage would cause holes in the septum, but if you had any, your ENT would have spotted them.
I did have a deviated septum or so I thought but it could have been the begining of my septum being eaten away from years of cocaine use.  Now I have a hole about the size of a dime that goes through my septum.  I am so worried about my nose caving in.  I think that the use of the drug and using it up the same side all the time could have caused it, because I only did it up one side and at frist I would always get sinus infections and bad headachs.  
Maybe you should go to see another ENT Dr or a Rino Dr.  Keep your nose clean.....  :)
I know that telling the Dr that I use to use drugs made one just tell me to get out of his office and wouldn't help me.
All the doctors I worked with didn't even blink at the knowledge of someone abuseing illegal drugs. I remember one fellow asking a doctor how soon he could smoke pot again, the doctor responded, in a month....

Now me, I was floored...  but that is what happened.

But this is not to say that the use of drugs is an accepted practice, what is accepted is that people will continue to use drugs despite being told not to.
PS

The diviated septom is not related to snorting cocaine.
need some advice too please .... haven't snorted cocaine in about 8 yrs ... but did for the first time since about  7 weeks ago ... next day came down with the worst cold virus / sinus infection for over a decade. ... OK so I put this down to bad luck / timing.
anyway hung out with the same group of friends again on Sunday and just had a small line. Guess what ... I have a really bad sinus infection / cold again ...left side of my nose is tweaked ... swollen and running clear mucus from my left nostril. this is the side I snorted in. I FEEL AWFUL ! Like I have another terrible cold virus ...
what the heck is going on ?
am I allergic to cocaine ? no one else has the same issue ..
is my immune system shot ?
any thoughts would be appreciated ..

thanks
I have the same problem.  A month ago I snorted about 3-4 lines at a party (2nd time in 7 years).  I've been dealing with sinusitis (sinus infection) ever since.  I'm now on my third antibiotic that is being prescribed for a month.  The doctor also prescribed FLONASE & some other oral steroid after looking up my nose with a small tube with a light on the end.

I've still get frequent discomfort/numbness right on the top of my nose right where the bone is.  That is the only symptom of the infection.  No runny nose or bleeding.  There isn't pain anywhere else other than my ears are slightly ringing.  If this last prescription doesn't work I'm going to see an ENT.  I hope I can get over this soon so I can move on with life.

Nick341:
How long did your sinus infection last and did you seek treatment for it?

drloomis82:
How long did your sinus infecion (infection) last and what treatment did you go through to clear it?
Folks when you ask are you allergic to cocaine....?

Hard to say, because it is unique in every form. In other words, how was it manufactured, what additives were used? It is not like there is a patent on cutting/producing cocaine and it is the same no matter where you buy it!

This is not to say I am an expert on cocaine, this is only to say that cocaine is an illegal underground drug & when you use it, you don't know what you are sticking up your nose or body for that matter.
even infrequent use of cocaine is very dangerous, but it's not a reason for a deviated septum.  erosions from the vasoconstriction would not lead to deviation, it leads to a hole.
I have the cure to your ailment!

STOP SNIFFING COKE YOU FIENDS!!!
that's not that helpful...  

i find that my patients who are addicted find the most help by participating in communities such as narcotics anonymous.
Snorting, pill popping, shooting or whatever is bad, wrong, deadly etc.

But the bottom line is, people will continue to do it, and when they need help, who can they turn to if the medical community shuns them?  

that's exactly right, it's important to find a doctor who's sensitive and understanding

a good doc isn't enough.  you need a community to rely on every day, to deal with the cravings.
I'm still searching for answers to my problem.  I found the following on the net.  Based on the symptoms I listed above, could this be what I have?  It made the most sense of all of them.  Symptoms are the same.  Swelling in the nasal passage, pressure on the ears that causes ringing.  No fluid coming out of my nose.  I don't dare blow my nose because then it makes everything tight and sore on the inside.

Is this something the body can recover from on it's own?  What kind of time frame are we looking at?  One doctor in the e.r. said that since I smoked it takes 2 months for the cilia in the mucouse membrane to grow back and recover.

Drug-induced rhinitis

Several medications are implicated in rhinitis, including angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors, reserpine, guanethidine, phentolamine, methyldopa, beta-blockers, chlorpromazine, gabapentin, penicillamine, aspirin, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, inhaled cocaine, exogenous estrogens, and oral contraceptives.

Rhinitis medicamentosa represents a different etiology. This is a drug-induced rhinitis resulting from prolonged use (ie, >5-10 d) of nasal sympathomimetics. During this process, alpha-receptors in the nose are gradually desensitized to endogenous and exogenous stimulation. Patients with this disease typically present with extensive nasal congestion and rhinorrhea resulting from loss of adrenergic tone rather than from the original cause of rhinitis. Normal nasal function should recover within 7-21 days after sympathomimetics are discontinued. Topical nasal steroid spray may ease the transition from the sympathomimetic agents, and some suggest allowing the patient to continue using the offending agent at night for a few days or weaning 1 nostril at a time.
sounds like you took cocaine in 11/07

yes, the body can recover

if you're still feeling bad, 2 months later, visiting your regular doctor would be a good start.  if you need to they'll send you to the ENT, but it doesn't sound like they would.
Ok Im so glad I found this site where people are discussing the same issue that Im facing. I too fckd up my nose from snorting coke for about 4 yrs. Now I have a hole in my septum the circumference of a pencil.  and slightly above the hole on one side of my nostril, the nasal passage is deformed to where it connects on both sides. not the entire side is close but there is a mending of flesh together so one hole in my nostril is smaller than the other.

Based on what I just described, you can image how much this is freaking me out. i can't believe I made myself deteriorate that easily. I'm sure I saw it coming and should have stopped along time ago but you really have no clue until you experience it first hand. I'm just learning the hard way

So here I am scared ******** to get some help. I realize I really have to now.  Can someone shed some light on the treatment? I recently purchased this flesh, bone & cartilage herbal formula hoping for the best, but my research is indicating that cartilage does grow back. Is surgery the only option?

Wow, who would have thought recreational drug use would lead to surgery. Sooo not worth it.
cartilage doesn't grow back.

i agree.  sooo not worth it.
thats even more depressing.. can you shed some light on what will be/can be done once I see a doctor? what are my options at this point? thanks...
    * Nasal douching with saline lavages. Keep the nasal mucosa moist, minimizing bleeding.

* Nasal silastic buttons are sometimes tolerated for many years; Silastic buttons can be custom fitted.

* Use a humidifier in bedroom day & night with the bedroom door closed.

* Nasal emollients (Bactroban, Ponaris nasal emollient) applied to the inside of the nose.

* try not to use nasal steroids or try to reduce the dose if necessary for long-term therapy of allergic rhinitis.

* Nasal topical estrogen can help reduce build up of the nasal mucosa and can strengthen arterial walls of vessels in the nose. This can help decrease bleeding in the nose. This is an off-label use for estrogen.

* Surgery can help.
dont know.. but ive only did coke about 10 times and it was all within the last 2 months and my cartilage is almost worn right away and  If i was to do it  maybe 3 more times im sure id have a hole...anyways sorry i cant help u more but.... i dont have much experience with cocaine either... and everytime ive ever done it (bout a HG each night) it was ALWAYS free and getting hooked lines everytime friends of mine who did coke wanted one. But ive quititcold turkey last week and have been clean... I only did itto save my nose, my life, and quit b4 i waste my money on it because ive seen it draaaaaaaaaain people for everything.
and to all the people with F*kd up noses...

your nose.. or atleastmine does not run or clog or evern get ****** up UNLESS the **** your doing is cut. My budd gets lots at a time and just takes lines PURE w/o cutting it and i never have problems.. but when its cut, my nose is niagarafalls, yellow, and I get bad headaches. Its the chance u gotta  take and to be honest only advice to say right now is dont do coke.. but its not like I can stop You. wish u the best.
the more pure the coke, the less cut it is with other impurities, the more vasoconstriction (tightening of the blood vessels) and quicker to form a hole.

"don't do coke" -- great advice!
all these people who have a hole in their nose - surely you were doing loads ?
can it be just unfortunate? can you honestly see a proper hole?

not just loads, any use at all.  even a little, over time, can thin the septum to the point there's a hole
I have used Cocaine for about 10 years, off and on..and im sure it was seriously cut most of the time.  I never really got bloody noses, on occasion id have a little blood, but this was unusual and never flowed like a bloody nose.  Recently ive noticed a kind of slit inside my right nostril on the bottom of the cavity, sort of where the base of the septum(i think thats the divider of the cavities) meets the bottom of the nostril...it looks like a little chip in my nostril, like a tiny valley between two hills, rather than smooth across.  It's terrified me and is probably the only reason ive been able to stop using it.  I got addicted to using it when i drink, which was every weekend for YEARS. Im not even sure the coke did this sense i never bled but due to the prolonged use, i believe it must be the coke.

My question is, is this slit(or half hole)going to grow back, or fill up sense i have gone cold turkey? Or is this slit going to keep getting larger and eventually be a hole that im hearing about, even though i have quit?  What can i do to fix the damage if anything?
I'm so glad I never did coke  :D
Yea keep smiling morgansklee....what was the purpose of adding your two cents?  

INTERNET PUNK.
:)
:)
You are lucky in a sense that nothing worse has happened in the 10 years of use.  I used just once in November of 2007 and I'm still not right sinus wise.  I'm not sure if I'm overly sesitive or if it was cut with a particular substance.  I know nothing about this stuff and I haven't been able to relate my symptoms with anyone else.  I go back to the Doctor Friday to determine the next step.

Although I'm curious what one of the specialists will tell you, most likely you should seen an E.N.T.  It may not be as bad as you think.  There's only one way to find out.
such regular prolonged use of cocaine is liklely to cause ongoing issues including erosions of cartilage & skin, such as you're experiencing.  See a doctor.  It won't grow back.
So let me get this straight.
I undersand that what i have lost will not grow back...But are you telling me, even though i have stopped, i will continue to lose more and more skin and cartilage?
I had appointment with the Doctor again today.  I haven't had any major swelling in my nose when all of this started.  The Doc says it's probably the Flonase that is helping with that.  He also said that if I wasn't using it I'd probably swell up again.

He said to continue using the flonase.  I finished my antibiotic and he said there doesn't appear to be an infection anymore.

I also told him that my ears are still experiencing pressure off and on and I still have a high pitched whislte noise that is annoying and won't go away.  Nothing else was prescribed.

Will I have to be on flonase for good to keep my nose from swelling?  Is there anything eles that the doctor should be doing about my ears?  Again, this is from a one time use of cocaine two months ago.
If I had caused any damage to my nose through very occasional cocaine use (I haven't any symptoms - I'm probably worrying about nothing) would an ENT doctor be able to see it when checking my nose? I went to see him because I've broken my nose but didn't mention any drug use...

Thanks very much
i'm very pleased to see that i'm not the only one in the world that if i do one lil line of coke the next day my nose is plugged.. i hate it its a non stop drip for 4-7 days...but it has to be only the coke..because i've snorted percs to vicodins and no outcome. only coke!! s0 coke burns away at your nose and kills tissue that you need but it will go away give it about a week your nose will heal on its own . some ppl never get this effect after coke for the ppl who do let it be  a hint that are nose cannot handle it.. just think about what were damaging. i was never bad off on coke s0 it doesnt effect me much i'd rather get a bottle anyways... :)
ive been doing coke for about a year now but only on and off(mainly weekends) and recently every time i do a line it wont drop down my throat then i notice it all stuck and wet at the back of my nostril and then kater on my nostril would turn into a weird tiny slit and swell up at the sides so that i couldnt breath out of it..and then by the next day it would be back to normal!! does this mean my nose might cave in?IM QUITTING 2MORO FOR GOOD! after last nite NEVER AGAIN! my nose is stinging and my teeth hurt : (
I know that most of the posts were about "Coke" but one thing that you mentioned was nasal topical estrogen that can help reduce build up of the nasal mucosa and can strengthen arterial walls of vessels in the nose."  My question is would topical estrogen be helpful in Vasomotor /Chronic Rhinitis??  I have never done drugs in my 51 yrs. and  I ended up with this disorder.  My post nasal drainage NEVER STOPS and I am not joking.  I have done nasal rinses for 6 yrs. now twice a day - don't work, had every steroid spray ever invented - don't work - oral steroids don't help.  NOTHING HELPS!!!  I had radiofrequency coblation done on August 18, I can breath better but still constant post nasal drainage.  - Could this topical estrogen help with my problem???   Please reply as I am so miserable of having this -  My undereyes and cheeks, cheekbone and outside sides of nose are swollen also.  NO sinus infection just swollen and fluid filled. There has to be something some doctor can do .      Thank you in advance.       Laaz
Please read my post from september 6, 2008.  Very desperate for any type of relief.  Thank you             Laaz
ive never done coke and i have a hole in my nose i cant breath and when i smoke weed i cant smell anythin and i start to smell bad smells from my nose and my mouth gets dry basically i cant breath fresh air i started noticing this problem after i got my surgery i popped an E pill so i think that ****** me up
I have used cocaine in the past for 4-5 years. i notice i no longer have much facial fat as i used to and my cheeks have thinned out.. I now have a chronic sinus infection...

Could the sinus infection be continuing to thin out my cheeks??

I have not had any success with ridding the infection. I have been on one dose of penicilin for sinus infection which did not help.. Ive had this infection as long as i can remember....

I am really worried about the thinning of my facial fat getting any worse as it is already bad..

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..
I just ran accross this forum and thought I'd add. I too have a hole in my septum from snorting cocaine. I snorted a lot between 1980 and 1985. Even though 15 years have passed since I've used any cocaine at all I still have trouble clearing my sinuses properly and I occasionally blow out scabs about the size of a dime.
To top it off, I have severe obstructive sleep apnea and must sleep with a CPAP machine all the time.
I once looked at some cocaine powder under a microscope and it actually looks like a pile of little white razor blades! So it's no wonder we carve away at our noses when we're snorting.
Hello, I used cocaine in high school for about a year straight, heavy use.  One night I used so much, and was snorting really really hard to get it up in my sinus cavity, that the septum in my nose deviated to the left.  I was scared to death and it caused me to quit using cocaine altogether.  I was not born with any deformity of my nose or nasal cavities, but now I have a permanent deviation of the septum.  I know that the cocaine and my aggressive inhalation caused it.  I have no hole in the septum, its just pushed all the way over to the left now.  I can even breathe through it when i pull my cheek a little to the left and work air into the nose.  I can tell that the skin inside of my left nostril is now very sensitive and I can mainly only breathe through my mouth or left nasal passage.  Think that this can be fixed with a routine surgery?   Thanks in advance,  Ryan
I was a cocaine user for about 4 years on and off. In the summer time i would snort cocaine almost every night, during winter once or twice a month. I have stopped using  cocaine , i have been clean for about 3 months. I stopped using cocaine because i felt my nose was transforming and i had  a consantly  sore throat and sore ears. 3 months have past and i still have a constant sore throat especially when i wake up in the morning my nose is dry my throat is sore and because i put pressure on my teeth in my sleep my jaw hurts when i wake up. will this ever go away?? is there something i can do stop this??? please answere....
My husband is addicted to cocaine very severely. I found out about it in 2004 and he claims to have quit but ALL the signs are still there. We separated over a year ago. He has lost an insane amount of weight! Towards the end of us living together he would experience extreme amounts of pain in his back and feet. So bad that he could not walk for days ad when he did finally walk it was like he was 90 years old. We still talk today and he has continued back problems. He has bone loss and claims to have a piece of bone broken off near his spine. Could these problems be related to the cocaine use?
are you ******* kidding me!!!! having a deviated septum is what scares you!!! WTF is that? Get a ******* brain for one, but oh wait you have holes in your brain now due to the cocain snorting, does that scare you??!!! Seriously stop being a piece of **** and doing drugs and try being useful to society!!!!
the fact that you made the comment that you made while Not-under the influence of drugs proves that you are a douche.  Yes: a dirty, stinky, post-vaginally dipped douche.  If you did drugs, at least you would have an excuse for your comment; but it seem you are just a sober,genetically-programmed ****. Ive dealt with and nearly conquered alcoholism.  Addiction is NOT something you can just brush off your shoulders and stop. So, Even though you cant relate to being "Under" the influence....one needs friends to be negativelly influenced in the first place...please be compassionate and shut the f*ck up.

Love,
Andrew, Recovering Collegian alcoholic.
As a former long time user my first thought is you are sharing straws, rolled bills, etc... if so, stop! Never share a snorting device. An infection is bad enough but you risk hep C. Besides, there's nothing appealing about someone else's snot getting snorted up your nose. You may also have reactions to certain cutting agents. "Coke" is mixed with all kinds of garbage and you just never know. It affects everybody differently. Better yet, stop using "coke" or anything else for that matter.
I have the exact same problem as you, it has scared the s**t right outta me.  Im also dreading to go to my doctor.  I have gne cold turkey now for near a month because of this, however it is prity hard as the group of friends i have do it occasionally every wkend, I am also doing the seaon in ibiza this summer but I know I will never touch any drugs again which go up the nose.  I used to do mket, ket, mdma and coke so that is alot of damage to my nasal cavities.  But what you have described is exactly how my nose is, we need help or even advice i am so happy i came onto this site as i know other ppl has the same problem as me.  Can someone pls help us or give us advice on wot to do. pls pls pls.  I also looked at nose cancer as i thought that may be the case, I just dont want my nose caving in as i have a child and family where i doubt they would be supportive and it would be hard to give an explanation.
If you feel that strongly about people using drugs and being fiends then why the hell on are you on this sight?get a life and find a holy sight prophet.