Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Deviated septum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Deviated septum

I was diagnosed with a deviated septum and was told by my ENT specialist that i need a surgery ( September 8th, 2008) along with turbinate reduction. I was doing alright until I had a bout of flu four weeks ago and this made my life miserable. Then came along bronchitis which made my breathing through the mouth impossible. I am still having a little wheezing on my left chest and took an x-ray yesterday. I will have an answer within two days to see what the actual diagnosis will be. My question to you is, is it common for both nostrils to get congested at the same time because of deviated septum or my flu and bronchitis plays a role in it? I haven't been sleeping for over three weeks because of that and is developing anxiety and is afraid to go to bed. Since my surgery date is in September, I would like you to help me to regain my sanity and restore some sleep.I have tried over-the-counter congestants (it helps for a period of time but gives me heart palpitations and discomfort around my chest area). I was told by my doctor to take it unless I can no longer bear it. I am trying everything to get a relief but manage to get temporary only. I tried Sinus Rinse for about two days and it helps for a while - gets congested once it wears off. Is there anything that I should try to maintain my sanity? I have been researching online and even bought Breathe-Aide and has yet to try ( will update if this apparatus works). In the meantime, please suggest anything that will give me more than a temporary relief and help me till my surgery date in September. Thanks and much appreciated for your elp!
My husband had surgery for his deviated septum along with turbine reduction. It seems he broke his nose in highschool, while playing basketball, and didn't realize it. The tissue grew too much inside his nose and started to cause him to have several sinus infections over the years. The congestion your are getting may be due to the affected tissue swelling because of your flu or bronchitis. The surgery will help clear your breathing passage and give you some relief. For the time being you should use something that has an anti-inflammatory to reduce the swelling of the nasal tissue. A cold air humidifier should help you breath better while you sleep. Good luck, I hope your surgery goes well. Get all of your sneezing out before you go in! :)
i would like to ask you bro, if this problem of yours affect you mentally or psychologically?.

im having this deviated septum for 5 years now and make my life a living hell.
i dont have the money for the surgery because im just a college student for now.

Hey Richter!

Yes! This problem has affected me so much that I have develope anxiety, paranoid about sleeping, drinking and eatin. So much so that taking medications worries me more about the reoccurence rather than the relief ( know what I mean). Luckily for me, I found that solution in the form of Breathe Right nasal strip. I also look in the web for a similar apparatus but cheaper and reusable call Breathe-Aide. I have not receive them yet but will update you after I try it. Also, I read and used this nasal cleanser kit, it is good if you have bad sinus - really helps.

I know what you are going through, Richter, especially for 5 years. Mine was enhanced by the flu and bronchitis - otherwise, I had no trouble breathing. Guess we all took a simple breathing for granted.

Luckily for me, I live in Canada and I don't have to pay for the surgery or even doctor's visitations. Out of curiosity, how much does it cost to perform such surgery? If I was a rich man, I would definitely help you out. I don't wish this upon anyone or the sufferings that goes with it. Wish you well and hopefully, my little infos will help.
Thanks for responding to my dilemma...much appreciated!

After I was diagnosed with Deviated Septum, I have had no trouble breathing until a bout of flu and bronchitis hit me some four weeks ago. This really made my life a living hell and I searched and searched in the net to see what I can do to get relief. So much so that I visited my doctors 4-6 times within that span. I am a very healthy 49 years man (knock on woods) and barely visit or take medications. However, this trouble of breathing really took a toll on me and I am affected both mentally and psychologically. It has come to a point that I am more worried about reoccurence of the symptom rather than the relief itself. As mentioned in the posted comment, I have tried everything and anything but to no avail. Some medications gave me more problems than relief - side effects.

Yesterday, out of the blue when I was moisturizing my nose that I accidently inserted two cotton swabs inside my nose and pull the opposite ways -  I immediately discovered a relief in my air passage and could actually breathe with some relief. So, I drove down to the pharmacy and bought a packet of Breathe Right to try it on. Lo and behold, I could breathe right (LOL) and is breathing freely as I type. The fear of reoccurence disappeared from my mind and in some way, got my sanity back - hopefully, my bronchitis gets cured soon and I can be rid of this hellish moment. Had the best sleep in weeks and I hope that trend continues. So, to anyone suffering from what I just went through, please try this and see if it works.

I am going to visit an accupunturist this saturday and see if this will resolve my problem -will update you on this.

How is your husband doing? Was there any discomfort during recovery time? Thanks for the tips about cold air-humidifier and really appreciate you taking time writing and comforting me! Much appreciated!!

Take care!
I have had only two sessions with accupunturist - nothing yet - she told me there could be some hope - I have swollen turbinates from vasomotor rhinitis   I have tried everything under the sun and nothing helps me - nasal steroid sprays or oral steroids do not even help.  do you have post nasal drainaage with the blockage ?  I use  nasal rinses twice a day but they don't help me - I have been doing them for 6 yrs. now and I don't know why I keep on doing them, maybe my nose and post nasal drainage and swollen nasal turbinates would be worse - who knows.  Please keep us informed with how you are doing or any new things the doctors might give you to try .   take care!!!!
Truth be told, laaz, I am not too sure how serious my condition is - whether I have swollen turbinates from vasomotor rhinitis or not. All I can tell you is I was diagnosed with deviated septum and needs surgery to correct them along with turbinate reduction. I definitely know that I don't have any allergies or sinuses that I am aware of nor do I take medications for any sickness. I have been very healthy until this ordeal hit me and I suffered both mentally and pyschologically - believe me, my life was a living hell during this prolonged condition. At this moment, I still have a lingering wheezing in my chest area and I hope that will be cured in a matter of days (knock on woods).The experience I had for the past four weeks or so was enhanced more so by the bout of flu and bronchitis. This is all new to me and believe me, it is no fun and I don't wish this upon anybody.

As for using nasal rinse, this, as I researched is more for people suffering from serious sinuses. from what I read people confessed that it helped them and I do believe it because sicknesses comes from what you eat and breathe. So, rinsing or cleansing your nose is where it prevents the passage for bacterias to enter your body through the nasal -so I heard. At this point, try anything to prevent yourself from this polluted air that we all breathe.

Have you or are you planning on having surgery? If possible, avoid taking too many medications, as side effects are not too pleasant ( difficult when you are looking for some relief and sanity). At this very moment, I am using Breathe Right - nasal strips and it is helping me alot (wearing it to work and not worrying about how I look but how I  feel). So, for the past two nights (knock on woods again) I am able to sleep without having to suffer or wake up in the middle of the night prancing around my room. Or worry about the reoccurence of the symptom or congestions ( forgot to mention, I took half a Reactin 20mg tablet to sort of reduce the inflammation and helps me sleep better). Atleast, I have my sanity back for the time being and I am happy about it. Not forgetting to mention that I bought a similar nasal insertion online call Breathe-Aide and will update you on how relief I will feel after I use them.

laaz, I am planning to visit an accupunturist this saturday and from over the phone conversations, he seems to know exactly what my problem is and said that it can be cured. Will update you on any improvement or results after my visits. I know I don't expect it in 3-4 sessions, but should have some sort of relief if the doctor knows what he is doing. If I can be cured from these sessions, I may have to cancel my surgery (keeping my fingers crossed).

laaz, I truly hope you will feel better and please update me on your conditions. Hope you take great care of yourself and try Breathe Right - nasal strips or whatever is available in your country. And don't worry about the looks - I am wearing them at all time.

Take great care, laaz!!!

thanks for your concern ^_^. anyway, i wish you best condition and looking forward to your surgery to be successful.  im happy for you that you fixed this problem sooner.

with my experience, if you let this continue for years, it will destroy your life. just a bit of advise. ^_^.

thanks for writing back so soon. I got my problem 6 yrs. ago.  Like you - I was totaly healthy- did not have to take any medications felt terrific and then - Bam!  this all started with my nose. Very, very depressing, also causing alot of anxiety with me thinking I will have to live the rest of my life like this.  I'm going to be 51 in september - Lord, I could live another 30 yrs. - not like this, no thank you.  Please let me know how the accupuncture works with you or any new treatments.  I have a deviated septum -not bad but about 23 yrs. ago  my sisters dog pulled me into a van side mirror, I was pulling blood clots out of my nose for hours. but I never had any type of problem from that.  the doctor said I have Vasomotor rhinitis and  they don't know what causes this.  Well, anyway, sorry so long and boring. Tonyhou do you have chronic 24/7 post nasal drainage? Do you have any swelling under your eyes or cheek area?  my undereyes are swollen and have a bluish discoloration under them.    take care and I hope everything works out well for you.  Keep me informed.
I don't have any symptoms you've described nor do I find your message boring. I am sure we are all here trying to help and comfort each other and share our experiences of how to prevent or what to do with our problems. The more we know about it, the better we are prepared to deal with them.

As for my condition at the moment, I am somewhat relief with this Breathe Right nasal strip. I know that is not the solution, but atleast I have my sanity back (knock on woods) and rid of my fear of when the congestions reoccurs - that my friend, is pscychological and mental. The only problem I have is the swelling of the membrane which at time clog my nostrils - a bit uncomfortable but I have learned to deal with it as time rolls along. Even with the Breathe Right I have on at this moment, I can still feel the stufiness but a bit breathable and I am sure it will be totally uncomfortable without it. So, in another word, I have this strip on 24/7 - kinda depending on it till my surgery in September 8th.

If anyone had a deviated septum and turbinate reduction done only ? Please write and let me know how long is the recovery time and what I need to do to prepare myself. Is it painful and uncomfortable and if so, for how long? My doctor did not order any Cat Scan for me and I wonder if he thinks it is not that serious for me to do so.

Sorry laaz, got little side track. Anyway, you take great care of yourself and I hope you will resolve your problem sooner rather than later. Will update you of any progress.
Thanks for your kind words! I am sure there are ways to solve your problems too. Take great care Richter_Belmont !!
Updating on my current condition....

As mentioned, I had an appointment last saturday with an accupunturist/herbal doctor and had a session. Went through the procedure comfortably and was given herbal medicines after the treatment. This will be my third day taking it and I truly can feel the difference.

First of all, the doctor told me that he will have to cure my bronchitis and flu which caused and contributed to the inflammation of the membranes, then he will tackle my deviated septum to reduce the swelling of the cartilages. So far, I have to say that I am not stuffed as bad as I used to and I hope I don't have to go through the surgery if he can cure the deviated septum (keeping my fingers crossed). The reason why I found him good and qualified is, he cured a patient (whom I spoke to) from cancer and his reputation is well respected. Above all, he is very passionate about his work.

My wife had a scarred kidney and doctors and specialists couldn't figure out what the cause was/is - MRI / X-Ray were taken and doctors are baffled as to what the reasons were. So, she checked with him and so far along with the herbal medications and needles, she could actually feel the difference - one session only. Whether it is mental or he is really that good. My wife is feeling very relief and will continue the treatment.

Anyway, I hope you all, except for HavenAClue find some doctors that knows and are passionate about their field and help you out. Will continue updating my condittion after few more sessions with the herbalist.

Take great care!

Speedy recovery to all who suffers from any symptoms !!
That is great news!!!  I hope things continue to improve for you and your wife. Is this doctor an acupuncturist or a different kind of doctor?  What type of herbal medication did he give you?  Is it suppose to help with the inflammation that is causing the swelling of your nasal turbinates?  I had my third session of acupuncture today -- so far I don't feel any different. She said since my condition is chronic - almost 6 yrs. now - that it might take longer to notice anything in ways of improvement. Sixty dollars for 30 minutes is so expensive and not knowing if I will get any improvement makes me sort of down in the dumps - depressed - what ever you want to call it.  But I am glad to hear that you feel some difference. Did the doctor say how many treatments she thinks that you will need to feel 90 - 100 % better?  Can you give me alittle more detail on what the doctor said or did or anything that she explained to you. - I would really appreciate it.  Please keep me informed on your sessions.  take care and talk to you soon    laaz
I visited my herbal doctor today again and was told that 10 sessions should bring results - along with herbal medications he prescribed. Truth be told, I do see the difference but not 100% sure yet because it is too early to evaluate the condition and besides it has been 2 sessions only to-date.

I was feeling great whole day yesterday but the stuffiness came back again last night because I exposed myself to cold air after I took shower and went out - stupid of me not to realised that I am not 100%.

He also mentioned today that my condition is not that serious and with regular treatment through accupuntures and herbal medications, I may not even require surgery. That I will have to decide myself coz I rather go through it now rather than when I get older.

As for the fees, I pay $50 for the accupunture and $8 each day for the medications. At this point, money is not on my mind. I would like to see results and prevent myself from going through this hellish weeks. I know it is expensive but what's money without health. Too bad our government does not recognise Herbal practitioners and I am sure big drug companies plays a major roles in preventing them to go mainstream, especially the medications that does not have side effects. Luckily, my wife's insurance covers the accuputures fees upto $500 each year per person. So, I only have to pay for my medications which is pretty expensives. Hopefully, in the near future, our health plans will cover most of them.

Anyway, laaz, I know what you are going through, so I hope you maintain a positive outlook and wish something good come out of this depression. Take care!!
How is the acupuncture going?  Have you had any more treatments and if so did they help you improve more then with the few treatments you had prior?  I was told today from an ENT doctor that the swelling of the turbinates and post nasal drainage is from imbalance of the autonomic nervous system of the nasal mucosa.  Have any of your doctors ever mention that to you Tonyhou?  What Herbal medication are you taking? I would like to try it - what do I have to loose!!!  Take care and keep me informed.    Laaz
I had my third session on thursday and along with the herbal medications prescribed by him, I am feeling alot better. Occasionally, the stuffiness comes back but I am able to work around it. He suggested that I should adjust my comfort zone in the sense of room temperature and the position in how I sleep....guess what? I managed and able to sleep comfortably. Also, he suggested that I massage my nose to keep it warm for better blood circulation....use pressure point on my forehead, on both side below the nostrils and the back of your head at the bottom of the hairline. Supposedly it all links together. I am able to breathe through my right nostril that was blocked completely before my session with the accupunturist/herbalist. Accordingly, he has a 10 session program and see where it goes from there. Today, I will be having my 4th session. I visit him 3 times a week coz he suggested that more frequent session will help. Will update you and hope your accupunturist will be able to help you too. Tony
Tony,
     You sure need to be careful about getting a deviated septum fixed along with turbinate reduction. I had a deviated septum fixed along with my sinuses opened back in 2004 . Its been a nightmare for me. I'd gladly take what I had back before surgery. My turbinates were not touched. Please take a look at the following site before getting any kind of nasal surgery, especially turb reduction. Not telling you what to do, and I'm not a doctor. Just telling you of my experience and just letting you know nasal surgery sometimes can cause more problems than it fixes. The following site may be helpful for you. www.emptynosesyndrome.org        
Site just explains the risk associated with sinus surgery, especially turbinate reduction. If I were you I'd stick with the natural cures if at all possible.
I have had 2 doctors tell me NEVER to let anybody do surgery -one ENT from Mayo Clinic told me the same thing that you just said - "Surgery could make things worse than I already am." I know how it is to feel desperate and want so badly to feel like I use to feel before all this started with me nose too.  I am trying acupuncture as well as Tonyhou is - I hope his is helping, as mine has not done anything as of now.  I don't really think acupunture is going to help but I guess we all will try anything in hopes of feeling better.  My sister had sinus surgery and a deviated septum fixed for constant sinus infections but it did nothing for her.  How did your surgery effect you if I could ask?  Hope things improve with you.       Laaz
Thanks for your input Gary2007! On the contrary, two of my brothers have had they surgery done and has been feeling great ever since. In my case, I don't have any sinuses and I am continuing with my acupunture along with herbal medications. So far, it helped me and I will reconsider and take your suggestion into consideration.

I have been researching alot and 9 out of 10 patients who has had nasal surgeries done seems to have great results. I will check the website you provided and decide whether or not I should go for the surgery.

I had 5 sessions done with the acupunturist and there's major improvement with my breathing. Lets see what results will be when I complete my 10 sessions. Will update you after that. Take care you all and thanks once again for your inputs!

Regards,
Tony
how are things going with the acupuncture & herbal medicine with your problems???  You haven't posted for awhile and I was wondering how things were going.  Hope everything is improving for you.       Laaz
I have been busy lately but I did continue my sessions and it has improved alot. I am not too sure that acupunture can change deviated septum but was told that it can reduce swelling of the cartilage - as per herbalist....cure the natural way. I still think surgery is the only way to correct them once and for all. I will be visiting my ENT specialist sometime soon and ask more questions in regards to the risks involve, whether it is advisable too reduce the turbinate or just correct the deviated septum. Will keep you posted.

How are things with you? Are there any changes in your situation? Hope things will work out for you. I have ask my herbalist about your case, he mentioned that your situation will take longer to see any results because of the severity of your case. Be patient and you will feel better as you go through each session.

Take care!
Tony
I have a deviated syptom (symptom)... every ENT I meet wants to do surgery on it, funny thing is, every ENT I meet drives a Lexus.

I wonder if there is a reason for this?
Since you have gone through this procedure, Jimmy, may I ask how you are doing? Do you have any regrets or are you glad you went through it? Please reply coz my appointment is coming close and I want to be sure whether I should go through it. Many patients regretted having the surgery done and I am not too sure I want to take the risk of having regrets. Did you have your turbinate reduced?
So the acupuncture is going to good?  Mine didn't either, I stopped going as I did not get one bit of relief from it.  Has there been any improvement in any other way with your problem.?  Mine has been getting worse.  I am getting the constant nasal blockage like you are beside the constant post nasal drainage. and to top it off the doctor told me that I now have asthma from my vasomotor rhinitis.  I am on oral steroids, steroid lung inhaler twice a day and he also gave me a rescue lung inhaler as well.  Don't you just feel like giving up sometimes Tony ?  I know that I do, I don't think I can stand this much longer, I had this for 6 yrs. and it's getting worse.  I wish the doctors would do some research and find a cure for us, but I don't see that in the near future, I guess there are alot more important things to reasearch than this type of thing.  I wish to God that they would find something to help us.  Did you decide what you are going to do about your surgery?  I know that must be a hard decision, my ent doctor said that he could trim my nasal turbinates but there is always a chance that it could cause dryness like atropic rhinitis.  that kind of scares me.  I did have my doctor order a sinus neublizer, an electric one, you put anti-inflammatory steroid into this machine and the steroid spray is suppose to get up into even the tightest areas that are swollen to help decrease the inflammation.  I should get that one Monday. I heard that steroids don't work real well on vasomotor rhinitis , I know that the spray steroids don't help but maybe the electric nebulizer will get up further into nose and sinuses instead of just running down my throat.  Maybe you could try something like that to help with the swelling.  I just don't know anymore.  I'm sooooooo depressed.  Sorry for the sob story, keep in touch and let me know whats going on with you tony.       Laaz
Are you out there Tony?????
Truth be told, my acupunture helped me to some extent but didn't do much coz with deviated septum and you bet that no needles can help. Anyway, updating you on my condition, I am presently feeling alot better and have another appointment with my ENT this 19th. Reason for my visit is to ask him questions which I wasn't aware of during my first visit - risks and side effects after the surgery.

My doctor gave me a nasal spray called Awamys and I am afraid to use them simply because of my fear that I may depend on it too much and the after effect use of it. At present, I am using a nasal gel called Rhinaris and I find it very soothing and relaxing to my breathing. As I am writing to you, I am able to breathe comfortably. Hope the same for you and please don't give up coz there will be cure soon.

Take care and try to avoid taking any medications that gives you temporary relief only but with lots of side effects. I am refraining from doing that and trying to tough it out. Of course, I am doing alot of research even if my doctor prescribe me any medications.
I am suppose to have radiofrequency ablation on august 18.   I am scared to death to have this done.  Couple doctors said that this might help with the post nasal drainage down my throat but what I am afraid of is getting that empty nose syndrome that you hear about.  What type of nasal surgery are you suppose to have???     Laaz
Good luck on august 18th and I am sure you are in good hands. Just go in with a positive thoughts and think about the relief you will have after the surgery. As for me, I am having my deviated septum corrected along with turbinate reduction. Hopefully, my ENT will scrape off just enough of my turbinate for it not to cause any empty nose syndrome. I will be seeng him on the 19th August to discuss about my condition, the pros and cons of the surgery. The risks and what might happen after the surgery. From what I have heard, it should be alright - keeping my fingers crossed.

Laaz, do you have this burning sensation around your nostrils, coz I have this feeling on the right side? Bleeds little bit but not dripping. Can't wait to get it over with and have the feeling of breathing normally.

Good luck again and take care!

Regards,
Tony
Tony I get burning sensations up inside my nose and all the way up into my sinuses - especially my maxillary sinuses ,by cheekbone area, under eye area.  I use to hold  cold glasses of ice water on those areas they burned so bad.  They still burn but not as bad as they use to.  I get specks of blood sometimes after I irrigate my sinuses and then I gently blow my nose and sometimes there is a few specks of blood.  All the burning sensations is from the inflammation that we have.  Make sure the ENT doctor DOES NOT REMOVE THE WHOLE TURBINATE - REMEMBER the EMPTY NOSE SYNDROME!!!!  My ENT is not cutting the inferior turbinate, he is using the radiofrequency procedure, he said that he usually zaps people 10 to 15 times but he is only going to zap me about 5 times, as I am so afraid of the empty nose syndrome.  I figure that less is best - once the tissue is gone it is gone but if not enough tissue the doctor can always go back and zap me again.  Better safe than sorry!!   I hope everything goes well for you too.  Let me know what the doctor tells you on the 19 th.   Take Care          Laaz
how did the appointment go with the ENT doctor today???   I had the radiofrequency coblation done yesterday.  Still have the post nasal drainage.  Unless it is to early to tell if it might slow down a little.  What did the doctor have to say about what type of surgery or the risk or benefits from the type of surgery??    Let me know Tony            Laaz
Well, my appointment on the 19th went very well and I am now very confident going for the surgery. My ENT answered all my concerns and assured me that in his 40 years of experience, he has never encountered any complaints and none of his patients had any problems. So, with that in mind, I am very happy that he will be performing my surgery. Will update you after my procedure. I am going in with a very positive outlook and hope the outcome will be a success.

I was told that it will be a 90 minutes surgery and depending on my condition, the packets will be out an hour after my surgery or latest, the very next day which I can pull it out myself.

Laaz, I hope your surgery will have great results in a day or two. Hang in there and I am sure you will be fine. Looking towards breathing freely.

Take care!
Tony

I just had my deviated septum repaired last Wednesday, along with sinus surgery. I couldn't breath thru my nose at all, and my sinus' had almost quit working from being blocked, so constant chronic sinus infections. I haven't experienced much relief yet, but it's only been  8 days so far. They only way to fix a deviated septum is surgery. Without the surgery it can cause a lot of sleep problems, sleep apnea, disturbed sleep patterns, dry mouth. Lots of complicated problems.  I'm still swollen up at this point. I use the Nasal Rinse 6 times a day. am taking antibiotics, steroids, which are awful, and steroid nose drops, as well as Vicodin for pain. I am looking forward to being able to breath easier, and no more chronic infections, I hope!  My ENT  also recommended a Humidifier in my room at night, no more than 50% humidity. Mine hasn't arrived yet, but I stand in hot shower and get room steamy. It really helps. My nose was never packed. This type surgery has come a long ways over the pat 10 years or so. I didn't even get black eyes. Good luck to you Tony. I think confidence in your surgeon is a very import thing. The success rates have improved so much since the advent of endoscopic surgery .  If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.
I found it easier to breathe when I am in a cool room temperature. As for the stuffy nose, I guess we all are getting used to it and as long as it improves after surgery - I am all for it. What can be worse when I am not breathing comfortably on a daily basis and knowing in the long run, I will be able to breathe easily after the procedure.

Yes! I am very confident and trust my ENT coz he is the chief of Otolaryngoloy in St. Mike's Hospital in Toronto. Hopefully, my packing will be for an hour after surgery only.

By the way, LLWB, after your surgery and had packing only for a short while. Were you able to breathe through one side of your nostril immediately? Or were you breathing through your mouth? What was the feeling and how would you describe the process or experience aside from the discomfort and stuffed up nose on one side? As it stands, my right nostril is blocked and I guess the feeling is more or less the same after the surgery, except the hope of getting better. Would appreciate if you can share your experience...much appreciated!

Wish you a speedy recovery and breathe easily from here on.

Take care!
Tony
I woke up breathing from my mouth. My right nostril, the one they did the septum surgery on, is still pretty stuffy. I can breathe thru it some now, where I couldn't before. My head still fills like an over-inflated ballon. My nose had been blocked for many years, thereby shutting down almost all the functions of the sinus' on that side. I'm really praying this surgery works. I didn't ralize how much just mouth breathing affected the whole body. All in all, the surgery went pretty well. I checked in at the surgery center at 10:00am, and was home at 4:30. I slept prooped up on pillows. I did wake up with a gigantic headache, which still lingers. And I am still short of breath if I over exhert myself. A nice steamy shower helps unclog the nose for awhile. I had heard a lot of horror stories about using the nasal rinse, but in my case they proved un-founded. It feels so good to rinse out the gunk, and helps relieve the facial pain. My upper teeth and roof of mouth are still numb, I'm told that can last for awhile. And no sense of smell at this time. That should return too. All in all, not as bad as a lot of the posts I've read said it could be. Since I'm only 10 days post-surgery, I'm doing pretty good. I took a week and half off from work. The one thing I would do differently is take a little more time off if you can. And be prepared if your ENT gives you steroids. Mine did, and they are awful! There wee 3 nights I didn't go to bed all night. Hyper, irritable, etc. Not fun. I know they help reduce the swelling, but I wish I hadn't taken them. My face and under eyes did get puffy, but no black eyes. Glad I didn't end up looking like a racoon! I'll keep you posted on my progress. I'm sure hoping for an improvment! Sept 8 will be here soon. Good luck, and good breathing!
Thanks for sharing your experience! I guess we all read into too much of negative posts that we forget that not all cases are the same. I never had sinus problem before nor do I have all the symptoms described by most posts. Lately, certain scents irritates my sense and I am sure after the surgery it will heal itself. I know there will be some discomfort after the procedure, however, I can look forward to better days and with proper care, I will be able to heal faster.

Take care and have a nice weekend! Please keep me updated of your progress.

Tony
Hi Tony,  4 days until your surgery.  Good Luck and I hope everything turns out well for you.   My coblatioin procedure of my turbinate helped with the breathing , not so plugged up anymore but the doctors thought that the coblation might  help with the post nasal drainage but it did not.  Still draining and still swollen under eyes and cheek area. Keep in touch and let us know how your surgery went and how you are doing.    Laaz
Thanks for your well-wishing! Matter of fact, I am looking forward to my surgery and had a pre-admission appointment yesterday. I am not nervous at the moment, but might get anxious on the day of my surgery. Guess it is nornal to get butterflies.

Good to hear that coblation helped your breathing and I am sure it will get even better.

Will update you after my procedure and I hope all will go well. Take care!

Tony
How are you doing after your surgery? I suppose it is to soon to tell anything yet. Let me know how things are going.  I  am going to have FESS sinus surgery on October 10.  He is going to remove a cyst in my maxillary sinus and do an ethmodectomy(SP) and I guess what ever else he finds up there.  Is the FESS surgery the kind that you had??  Well, anyway - hope you are healing up quickly.        Laaz
I go for my Sinus surgery on Wednesday (Deviated Septum), absolutely cra*in myself lol

I have been ill now for quite some time, had no idea I had a deviated septum untill recent CT scan.

Myself, I have had constant head pressure, anxiety, depression, various types of headache, stomach pain, heartburn, pale most days, and a general feeling of sick.

I believe all caused by the deviated septum.

Let us know how you go Tony, I will post back also.
My surgery went well and hope to have great results within weeks. Right at this moment, my nostrils are stuffed but had worse experienced. So, as long as I know the recovery is round the corner, I have no trouble tolerating it.

My surgery was on the 8th and I went in with a positive mind frame. Didn't get nervous even when I was lying on the operating table. I looked at the clock and the time was 11.45am before I was knocked out. Woke up at around 2pm and felt very groggy and thirsty. My family came by and I was in the recovery room - very sleepy. Nurse gave me ginger ale and had difficult time drinking it. Truth be told, I did not experience any pain except discomfort.

The first night was a rough one in the sense that my throat was extremely dry and had difficult time drinking liquid (forgot about spitting out blood). However, I was able to sleep without any interruption.

Next day, I felt much better. I remember to spit out blood flowing to my throat and was able to drink water without any problem. Took one Tylenol 3 at around 8.30am before I pulled out the packings myself - it was painful but I managed. Half an hour later, I was able to breathe through both my nostrils and it felt great - if this is what I will be feeling, I am glad that I went through this surgery. However, as expected, after an hour or so, my nose got stuffed up again. To date, I took only 3 pain killers and did not require any even though I was given 20 tablets.

Throughout this past week, I have been spending time in my bedroom (sleeping) and bathroom - suggestion and recommendation, rest. All I have been doing is cleaning my nose, sometimes rinsing  or moisturising them. Also, I have been using hydrogen peroxide to clean out the crusts. I even went so far using bandaids to help take off pressure around my nose by taping them at the base of my nostrils and pulling them away to create a relief - and it worked. So far, I was able to breathe 3 times freely since my surgery and each time lasts about an hour or so. By the way, I experienced numbness in my front upper teeth, which is not a concern and nothing to worry about. I can taste food and at times, smell whatever was around me. Big credit goes to my wife, who took time off to take care of me and I am so fortunate to have her around.

So, Laaz and SparkyIreland, I am glad that I went through it and will update you on my further improvement. Sorry that I bore you with my details.

Take care!
So glad to hear that your surgery went well.  I bet it felt pretty good to breath better, even if it was just for a short time.  Things will improve as time goes on.  That was very nice that your wife got to take off of work to take care of you.  You did not bore me with the details of your surgery.  Make sure that you keep me posted on your improvements.  Take care and rest.             Laaz
Today is the 8th day since my surgery and I am feeling less pressure around my nose. In other words, I am more comfortable and for whatever reason, I was able to breathe for about 2 hours this morning at around 4.20am. I rinse whenever I feel stuffed and blow ever so gently to ensure that very little residue remain inside. After that, I tried to breathe in through my nostrils and was showing some results. So, I kept on breathing and vola! I felt a rush of cold air rushing through and I kept my excitement by taking in slowly. Believe me, I am the happiest person on earth and I didn't want to think about the stuffiness coming back. Its 11.05 am and I am feeling alot better - little stuffed but much much better than yesrterday or the day before that. Hopefully, this is the beginning of my full recovery and I am glad to share my experience with you. Looking forward to better breathing days! Take care and hope you too think positively when you go for yours on October the 10th...best wishes and good luck!   Tony
Well done mate, I cant wait untill I am at that stage. Tomorrow morning I head in for the operation, the only thing I am excited about is rare time of work. Looking forward to feeling better afterwards of course. Im sure its good knowing that each day you heal you feel better.

Best of luck to you
Good luck on your surgery today and I am sure it will be a great success. Just hang in there coz you will be uncomfortable for few days. This is my 9th day after the procedure and I am still stuffed - as expected. I am counting to the day that the swelling subsides and I will be able to breathe freely. Right at this moment I am taping bandaid from both side of my nose to relief pressure around the nostrils and it helps to some degree ( pull to my comfort level away from the pressure ).

Well, speedy recovery to you and to all who went or going through this procedure. Good luck and stay calm.

Good luck once again!
Tony
Yessss!!!! I made it lol, I am out of the clinic, havent slept a wink, feel like I have went 10 rounds with Mike Tyson (In his good days), Nose is blocked with hard blood, was sick on the way home because of the handfull of tablets they gave me, and yet still I feel good :) Mainly just to get that over me, thank God.

This is my first day home, I just can not sleep at all, I lay in bed with my eyes closed for 2 hours but I am fully aware of whats going on round me, I guess its the meds they have gave me, which include :

Dicloflex 50mg (To reduce swelling, the Nurse said that they are very good)
Xylometazoline Nasal Drops (Which I cant seem to take without swallowing them, not nice)
A Saline Rinse (I have actally been using a neti pot thing to rinse this round the nose, seems to work better)
Ciprofloxacin (Antibiotic)

Oh and some KAPAKE lol, only take these if your really sore says the nurse.

The only thing missing is a bottle of Vodka :)

I got to breath for a split second when the nurse took out my packs, but my nose soon blocked up, it is blocked now with hard blood, and I was told not to blow it, guess this is normal for a few days.

Cant wait to see the results, I am having the usual anxiety about "Has it worked" But im sure thats normal for everyone, doctor said he took away a lot of cartlidge and bone so im sure something has to work. Splints to be removed in 7 days.

What about yourself? Doing well
I am glad that the surgery went well for you. Yes! The surgery is somewhat painless but uncomfortable for the fisrt week or so.

This is my 10th day and I am still stuffed. In my case, the doctor did not prescribe me any medication other than some pain killer, which I took 3 to-date. Guess you have to be patient and try to think positively. Frustrations do kick in and I am begiining to wonder if the surgery is a success. I will be checking my ENT on the 29th and see what progress has been made. I have been rinsing 3-4 times a day and the blood does get hardened every 2-3 hours. So, I use hydrogen peroxide to clean it and later, gels to moisterise them. Quite exhausted breathing through my mouth. Right at this moment, I found some relief by taping bandaid on either side of my nose to release pressure in the area - it works. Bleeding has stopped and few crusts develope here and there. Though I have been rinsing and cleaning like crazy, I still find not much relief. Maybe, I have to wait for the swelling to subside and then, able to see any results. Hopefully, sooner than later.

By the way, drink lots of fluid and eat Papaya should you get constipated. I have been taking yogurt drinks and helps my digestion. Hang in there and happy breathing!
Tony, do you have Splints to be removed? I feel rough tonight, lack of sleep has caught up with me, really bad heartburn also, think from all the tablets.

I have a feeling it will be a long healing process for me also. Stick with it, will be worth it :)