Difficulty breathing
Hi, i started smoking again 3 months ago, only about 5 a day and for the past month or so I keep getting breathing difficulties about once a week. I often wake up in the morning finding it very hard to breath with a wheezing sound and coughing, I've also noticed I get a runny nose and a lot of saliva in my mouth, I keep having to spit while I try to catch my breath. This often happens really badly when I've had a drink, il only have half a glass of wine and then I have to run outside because I feel like I can't breath. This also happened a few times before I started smoking. I've also been waking up every morning with blocked ears, I'm guessing this is because of the excess of mucous? There has been times where I've panicked because I've felt like I've literally had no breath left and I've had to use my friends asthma inhaler, which really helped...should I go to the doctor or is this just all because of the smoking? Thank you.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms could be due to both, Asthma and the damage to your lungs with smoking. If you are a smoker and have developed long standing lung infections/inflammation it can compromise your lung function. Breathlessness on exertion could be due to the decreased lung function. To improve lung function practice breathing exercises and quit smoking.  Lung function tests could further help in evaluation. If the symptoms are getting worse or if you develop additional symptoms please consult your primary care physician.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.