Difficulty swallowing getting worse...
Okay, so at first I thought I was paranoid. When I eat, often, I get this choking feeling, like I just can't swallow the food. Sometimes I even have problems swallowing my own saliva, that feeling usually comes after I've ate. I've also been burping like crazy. Disgusting, I know, but I can't help it. Oh, and at night, I often get this lump in my throat feeling and sometimes start having major drainage. And sometimes I have breathing problems, and then I burp, and everything's just fine.
And a couple months ago I was also having a really bad coughing problem, like a really short, dry cough. So mom took me to an ear, throat and nose specialist, and he seemed to think it was LPR (which I'd never even heard of before, I just thought I was starting to lose it) based on all the symptoms I told him. He gave me a month's worth of prevacid and then I started taking prilosec.
Okay, so here's where my problem with LPR comes in, last week I was on this trip to Florida. And when you're on vacations you usually eat out, a lot. Which means you're drinking a ton of soda (though I ordered water most of the time), and eating stuff like McDonalds and other fast food junk. I started having some serious problems. I just couldn't eat, I'd have to take meals home at dinner (the time we usually ate at nice restaurants that weren't fast food) and eat them later. I had such a problem with swallowing it was just impossible, and for the life of me I could not stop burping.
Now I feel like I've lost weight, actually, I can tell I've lost weight and it kind of scares me. I'm only 85 pounds as it is (I'm extremely short, so that's normal for my size (4"10), don't worry, I'm not anorexic) so losing weight its probably not good...
I haven't been taking prilosec every day like I used to because I don't really think it helped (but it's hard to tell because supposedly you don't feel heartburn with LPR, is that true?). Is there any better non-over the counter medicine I can take? And how can I adjust my diet to start eating right and actually be able to eat the food without that choking/swallowing past the lump feeling? I mean, I am eating, I just feel like I'm forcing the food down, and it bothers me. And are these really normal LPR symptoms? I mean, I had a LPR symptom sheet when the doctor said I had it a couple months ago, but I can't remember any of it, and I seemed to have lost that sheet.
Sorry for all the questions. But I've been having some real problems and it's just freaking me out a little.
Hi Madi22, sorry to hear your not feeling well. I have done some searching on the net because I currently have the feeling of something being stuck in my throat I know its not what you are experiencing but just wanted to pass on some info I have run across and something you might want to look into. Something I kept coming across is some who have had some bouts of acid reflux might "might" develop a scaring of the esophagus.  This type of scaring can cause the esophageal passage to narrow. Your ENT or Gastro Dr. can find out by looking down your esophageal passage. If narrowing present all articles indicate that its a relatively easy to correct.      http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/evaluating-your-esophagus.html    there is a lot of info on this page. I wouldn't get to worried about the procedure, if all procedures were written out in detail we probably wouldn't want to have any of them done..Best wishes, hope you feel better soon.