Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Disappearing Tonsil??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Disappearing Tonsil??

Hi there,

Recently I have had a problems with my left tonsil. Last year in June i had a bought of severe tonsilitus that was so bad they mistook it for quinsy in the left tonsil, and i ended up spending a night in hospital. They did not operate, however since this happened i've had persistent problems with my left tonsil. Since then it kind of appears as if it were receding back into my throat, and looked semi-atrophying and patchy and just generally weird. Recently i checked my tonsils, and the left one is gone! Like... it isn't there at ALL, and to the left of my throat where the tonsil used to be there is what looks like an oval-shaped hole in my throat. I've had a persistent painful throat for the last three months now and now that my tonsil has randomly disappeared im wondering if something is going on.
I went to the doctor today and he kind of rabbited on about blood tests.... so i'm getting those back on Monday (and im pretty positive that they will be clear but anyway) and he said he has never seen or heard of this happening before. I thought i'd double check with the greater medical community- does anyone know if this is a normal occurrence, for a tonsil to simply disappear, after months and months of persistent tonsil pain? Should I see a specialist or is this common?
Curious if you ever found out wht cused your problem My daughter-in-law has the same problem and doctor doesn
't know what the problem is
I have the same thing. All my life I have had large tonsils. The last 5 days I have been in such pain not all the time but the pain hits about every five min. Sometimes sooner it's like the worst stabbing pain ever. Yet no fever, nausea ect. Have been to urgent care then the er the next day. CT scan was clear no infections nothing in ears. So sent home with pain meds told to come back in 3 days if still in pain. The er Dr. Made a comment about my over sized tonsil on the right I said yea I have had them all my life. Comment was made rare that there not same didn't think anything if it till I looked because pain was on left. But sure enough I looked and I be darned if it just wasn't there. Why am I in so much pain? How can there be nothing wrong in ct scan? What do I do next? I plan on call er doctor to just ask. Can anyone please give me answers.