Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Disappearing Tonsil??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Disappearing Tonsil??

Hi there,

Recently I have had a problems with my left tonsil. Last year in June i had a bought of severe tonsilitus that was so bad they mistook it for quinsy in the left tonsil, and i ended up spending a night in hospital. They did not operate, however since this happened i've had persistent problems with my left tonsil. Since then it kind of appears as if it were receding back into my throat, and looked semi-atrophying and patchy and just generally weird. Recently i checked my tonsils, and the left one is gone! Like... it isn't there at ALL, and to the left of my throat where the tonsil used to be there is what looks like an oval-shaped hole in my throat. I've had a persistent painful throat for the last three months now and now that my tonsil has randomly disappeared im wondering if something is going on.
I went to the doctor today and he kind of rabbited on about blood tests.... so i'm getting those back on Monday (and im pretty positive that they will be clear but anyway) and he said he has never seen or heard of this happening before. I thought i'd double check with the greater medical community- does anyone know if this is a normal occurrence, for a tonsil to simply disappear, after months and months of persistent tonsil pain? Should I see a specialist or is this common?
Curious if you ever found out wht cused your problem My daughter-in-law has the same problem and doctor doesn
't know what the problem is
I have the same thing. All my life I have had large tonsils. The last 5 days I have been in such pain not all the time but the pain hits about every five min. Sometimes sooner it's like the worst stabbing pain ever. Yet no fever, nausea ect. Have been to urgent care then the er the next day. CT scan was clear no infections nothing in ears. So sent home with pain meds told to come back in 3 days if still in pain. The er Dr. Made a comment about my over sized tonsil on the right I said yea I have had them all my life. Comment was made rare that there not same didn't think anything if it till I looked because pain was on left. But sure enough I looked and I be darned if it just wasn't there. Why am I in so much pain? How can there be nothing wrong in ct scan? What do I do next? I plan on call er doctor to just ask. Can anyone please give me answers.  
I have the same thing. It's been years and the pain just gradually gets worse and more persistent. I recently went to the ent and they did a scan and blood tests. Everything came back fine. My tonsil is almost gone. A fraction the size of the other one. No one can come up with a solution?
don't know if anyone is still following this older post, but kat888's description of the tonsil disappearing on the left side is the same for me, altho i experience no pain, just what feels like irritation b/c of constant post nasal drip i have been plagued with for almost 10 years!  when i pull back on the stretch of skin at the back of my throat, i can see something that looks like a hole and tonsil stones form in it and around it often.  there doesn't look the same on the right side.  anyone know any more about this yet?
I also had over large tonsils my entire life. Every ENT i have ever been too made some kind of comment about them. Never had mono, never had strep but i do get some random infection/virus (no one has ever found what exactly) once a year from the age of about 6 or so until now (age 30). I had a pretty weird case of tonsoliths constantly appearing over the last 7 or 8 months and then two days ago, my neck/ear area hurt. I didn't think much about it, but then today i was shocked. My left tonsil has reduced in size to the point where it almost doesn't exists and seems to be centered lower than normal. Also my right tonsil has reduced in size and looks quite different. All my searches on google have returned virtually no results. I did find some information about tonsil regression, where a mans tonsils can shrink due to age, but non of the examples were under 40, and non of the examples mentioned pain. What i have found are a few hundred different people all asking the same thing- My tonsil deflated/is gone/missing-what is  happening? Is there something wrong?
That happened to me too with both tonsils. I still got a damn terrible pain on my tonsils when i swallow. 3days ago i thought they have become bigger and infected, since that pain. But when i checked i was shocked. Tonsilities diseapeared from my throat and i had them since i was 7 years old, and now im 22.