Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Dizziness, Migraines, Lightheadedness, and "dream-like state"...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Dizziness, Migraines, Lightheadedness, and "dream-like state"

Hey all, I  have struggled with some dizziness, migraines, and light-headedness in the past and it has recently sprung back up again this fall.

I am a second year college student. My freshman year was going good and then on September 13 of last year I woke up after a night of drinking and was pretty dizzy. I felt like I was still drunk..really weird feeling. It went away that night but was back the next morning. It went away again that night and came back the next day again. Then it pretty much stuck with me for the next couple weeks. I went to doctors and was diagnosed with ear infections and walking pneumonia. They did CT scan and MRI on my head and found nothing. They never really diagnosed me with anything, but I had dizziness for about 4months, migranes (migraines), and light headedness. Terrible 4 months. Computers were tough to look at and reading was really hard as well. The migraines were just awful. The worst part though, was the fact that every movement I made didn't feel real, it almost felt like i was in a dream state for the 4 months...so symptoms were dizziness, migraines, and light headedness.

Now after the 4months I got better and the symptoms went almost completely away.

Starting this year at school everything was fine. Then on September 28 I woke up and had this dizzy feeling again. (the night before I had smoked marijuana so I have no idea if there is a connection here) I was panicked but just went through my day as usual. It went away at night but was back the next morning. It just gradually got worse..and now (week later) the symptoms I had last year are back. Went to the DR and they gave me prednisone and it didn't seem to help. I am terribly worried that I will have to go another 4 months with this awful condition. I am traveling up to MAYO clinic in Minnesota next week for testing, but if anyone on here has any idea of what is going on it would be great! thank you.

could the alcohol (last year) and marijuana (this year) have caused some flare up?..i really have no idea.

any help would be great.
Hi,Please present your case to your pulmonologist.Please ask for(BAL) test to be done on your sputum.Good candidate is fungus called CRYPTOCOCCUS GATTII.Cytospin procedure using silver stain shoud do it.
you believe that all of this is because of this fungus?

i visited a lot of doctors last year and no one ever mentioned that.

If what you are saying is true thank you very much and I will have to look into that.

Could you please give me a little more info on what you are saying?
Hi,Please google"Deadly tropical fungus found in Vancouver Island.As of now scientists at CDC Atlanta are looking in to it.The fungal illness is still considered rare.
Sounds like a definite inner ear problem; Labyrinthitis would be my guess. Who are you seeing at Mayo?

BTW:  Just say NO to the drugs and alcohol for heaven's sakes.  
You  might have migraine-associated dizziness. It is quite underdiagnosed. Do whatever you can to get your migraines under control--reduce stress, go to bed and get up at the same time every day, identify your food or other triggers and avoid them, I'm sure alcohol and drugs don't help. Check out this info:

http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/central/migraine/mav.html

Please note that you could be having migraine activity even when you aren't having a headache. Try to see a neurologist specializing in migraines or dizziness if you can.