Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Do I have ENS?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Do I have ENS?

About 7 months ago I was accidently kicked in the nose hard  while playing soccer. Several Days had past and I saw my doctor and she said everything looked fine just my turbinates were really swollen.  I was a little worried because I did feel a slight deviation.  She suggested Afrin if i couldnt sleep due to the severe congestion (which i know was a mistake).  She sent me to a ENT specialist to make sure everything was ok the two weeks before i saw the specialist I was using Afrin almost every night just so I can get some kind of relief.  Even when using Afrin I felt I couldnt breath out of my left nostril as well as before, which I think was due to the slight deviation.  When seeing the ENT specialist she said that there was a slight deviation and my turbinates were swollen.  She said that a septoplasty and turbinate reduction may help, but it may not be in my best interest.  She prescribed Flonase and told me to stop using  afrin.  After about a week of using Flonase nasal spray the congestion was still there and uncomfortable.  So i started using Afrin again every other day or so at night for about a month.  Realizing the severity of using the spray I quite cold turkey and havent used it for about 2 months.  I went back to a diffrent specialist just recently and when looking at my nose and CT scan he said everything appears normal and my turbinates are not that swollen at all, in fact he even said my nose looks better than most of his patients.  Im so confused  and distraught because my sense of smell is diminished and I cant really sense air or temperature through my nose any more which has caused me bad headaches, anxiety, heart palpataions when I wake up in the morning.  Im really scared because I know you can only get ENS from a turbinate reduction and I dont know whats going on.  Im not sure if the overuse of different nasal sprays Flonase, Afrin, Astylin for the last few months has caused damaged.