Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Does this look like a cyst above my tonsil?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

8805992?1359768298
I am male, 28, Caucasian, 5'10", 140lbs, non smoker, no alcohol, one sexual partner (wife of 7 years), and no family history of cancer.

I have had chronic sinus issues since early childhood (frequent mild headaches, mild recurring sore throats, summer allergies, frequent post nasal drip, constant pressure behind eyebrows and cheeks, pain when pushing on sinus areas on face, ears crackle when swallowing).

About 10 months ago, I had a (first time ever) small white pebble at the tip of the saliva duct under my tongue. It swelled a little for a few days until the pebble popped out. A week later, I contracted a sore throat for a few days with a sinus head cold. One day that week - I looked into my mouth to my tonsils (something I never really did before) and noticed a little half-soybean size white pimple above my left tonsil. It is situated in the arch right above the tonsil (not on the tonsil itself - I think..).

I have kept an eye on it for all this time, and it hasnt changed in size or bothered that area. My tonsils never appear swollen or inflamed.
I also don't think it's a tonsil stone, because it isn't on a tonsil.

Are there saliva ducts above the tonsils in the arch?
Is it at all a probability of being related to my saliva stone - and/or a high dairy diet?

Anyone know of similar cases?

Thank you for any information. I am not subbing for medical advice; but want to see about alleviating some anxiety before an ENT appointment.

Here is a photo I took today of it. Has remained about the size of a dehyrdated soybean since I noticed it 10 months ago:

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/60/tonsilarch.jpg

Tags: Cyst, tonsil, tonsillar arch, salivary
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The picture is not clear. What you have must be Mucous cysts, which are common. They are painless but can be bothersome because you are so aware of the bumps in your mouth. If infected, they become painful, when they need therapy. If its painful or if there is redness, consult your dentist.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you for your reply!

The question in the photo is that soy-bean sized white lump above the tonsil (corner of the tongue on the right in the photo).

My tonsils look pretty small compared to other tonsils that come up on good search - and there's alot of space above them on the way to the ulva.

Can Mucous cysts be white/yellowish? I have an ENT appointment in a week - and am nervous as all get out.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If they are whitish or yellowish, it could be infected. It could sometimes be due to candidiasis. It is usually caused by candida albicans, which is a fungal infection. They can occur as a consequence to throat infection or sometimes steroid inhalers are known to promote their growth. You can discuss this with your doctor when you meet him. In the meantime you can try warm salt water gargles and betadine mouthwashes.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
ENT today. It's a cyst.  :)