Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Draining Fluid From The Middle Ear Through the Eustachian Tube

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

I just wanted to ask if anyone knows the best way to lie down to drain the middle ear through the eustachian tube. Which position makes it the easiest for it to drain lying back, front on ones side, or is standing up better? I do not have any fluid in the outer ear canal but inside/ behind the eardrum. Thank you.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The 'Eustachian  tubes' connect the middle ear to the throat, this balances the air pressure in the ears. These tubes usually act like valves and open up the middle ear cavity, but the vice versa is difficult to happen. If there is persisting fluid, then surgical options are the choice of treatment. Myringotomy, where a tiny slit is made in the eardrum to aspirate any middle ear fluid and to allow temporary ventilation into the middle ear space. Pressure Equalization Tube, PET, where  a tiny plastic or metal tube, is introduced into  myringotomy to keep the portal open. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.