Ear, Nose & Throat Community
"Drunk" feeling without alcohol?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

"Drunk" feeling without alcohol?

For the past week or so, I've been having daily bouts of feeling drunk without the alcohol.  It's not vertigo, because nothing is spinning..everything is clear.  It's more like dissociation (the psychological feeling of not being in your body).  I do struggle with dissociation anyway, but this feels different to me.  It can get pretty severe to where I almost have to completely stop what I'm doing because I'm so confused and just out of it.  It's happened several times while driving which scares me, because I will then have to think at least 2 or 3 times about each decision I make to make sure that it's actually the right one.  In general, even when the feeling isn't quite so severe, I feel like my decision making isn't as sharp and it's taking longer for me to comprehend things.

I did a little bit of looking online and saw that someone (not here, somewhere else) was diagnosed with some viral infection in the inner ear that tends to follow an upper respiratory infection.  A little over 2 months ago I had a cold that then turned into bronchitis.  I still cough quite a lot throughout the day, so I'm not sure if that's tied into it.

However, the thing that I'm sure is probably a huge factor is that I do, admittedly, have a problem with alcohol.  I've been drinking heavily almost every night for about a year and a half.  I ignored this dizzy like feeling at first because I wrote it off as the effects of alcohol withdrawal, but I've intentionally stopped drinking as of a couple days ago and am still having some severe bouts of this dizzy/drunk thing.  I know it hasn't been long since I stopped, but I am really having to limit how much I drive because the feeling tends to happen most severely at that time.  I'm afraid that I will get into an accident even just driving 5 minutes across town.

Any suggestions?  I don't want to overreact and go see a doctor over something that might just go away if I am patient and careful.

Thanks.
Oh, and I also forgot to mention that the severe bouts tend to last about an hour..sometimes longer, sometimes shorter.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms could be due to withdrawal of alcohol. But if your symptoms are relieved by eating something, it could indicate that you might be having episodes of hypoglycemia. Inadequate sleep can also cause tiredness, fatigue and dizziness. Other causes for these symptoms are inner ear infections; brain disorders heart problems, fever, stress, low blood pressure and anxiety. Please consult your GP who will examine you and may ask for blood tests for evaluating blood sugar and CBC.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Check out if its allergies to something I get some similar symptoms I have a cough for about 4 months , some dizziness, head aches at times, scratchy throat , neighbors and friends who live around me, have same we have put it down to the stuff they are spraying ,everyday we are bombarbed with aerial spraying.Tests have shown that there are toxins in the stuff they use.Do some research and ask the Doctor for a Heavy metals test .
Can you please tell what was the diagnosis, i also have same feeling without alcohol