Dry Scabbing Nasal Septum
Ive had a very dry nasal septum for a long time (the right side).  Its worse in the fall/winter months.  I hate to admit that I used to pick at the septum because it itched and the mucosa flaked and peeled.  This year I decided I wasnt going to spend the winter picking at it, so I started applying triple antibiotic ointment and using saline nose spray when it gets irritated.  Ive even run the cool mist at night.  It doesnt really seem to be helping.  Its still dry.

I now have what seems like a thick layer of skin/mucosa that flakes easily & feels rough.  It is not sore or irritated at all. The area is not smooth like the rest of my septum.  It feels like a scab but it cannot be picked off?  I thought it might be staph or bacterial infection but it doesnt even hurt?  It doesnt smell?  

I have an ENT appointment in a few weeks, but I wanted to ask if anyone else has been through this?