Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Dry Tongue that feels like hair near the back
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Dry Tongue that feels like hair near the back

Hi,
I've recently seen a ENT for a chronic ear ache, about 6 weeks ago.  He has diagnosed me with an infection to my lingual tonsils and prescriped an antibiotic (can't remember the name right now).  The antibiotic did not take away the pain in my ear.  However, not sure if it's related or not, but in the past 4 days I have had disturbing tongue symptoms.  The back of my tongue feels very dry, I most note that the rest of my mouth is not dry and I have normal saliva / moistness.  The back of my tongue also feels like I might have a hair on it that I need to clear away, I feel this each time a swallow.  I have some difficutly swallowing as each time I do my tongue feels like it is swollen.  I have checked in the mirrow with flashlights and depressors but I do not see anything abnormal.  I must add that I have no pain whatsoever, other than the dryness and feeling of a hair stuck on my tongue it sort of feels like it might be mildy burnt, similiar to when you burn it on hot food.  I am 40 years old, female and smoke.  Other than the ear aches I have been having for the past 5 months I am healthy with no known medical problems.  I brush my teeth twice a day and just had my bi-annual dentist check up 2 weeks ago.  At that time I did not have any tongue symptoms but neither my hygenist or dentist commented on anything unusual.  This is my firt time posting a question on line, I hope I have included enough information.  I tried the usual "google" searches based on symptoms but couldn't find anything.  Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Judi
Tags: tongue