Ear, Nose & Throat Community
EAR FLUTTER

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

EAR FLUTTER

I feel like I have some kind of twitch or whoomph sound in my ear. It seems to happen once i have burped or when I am stretching my arms above my head. Sometimes it also come randomly. I cant seem to stop it but it comes and goes and is only in my left ear,

I did a search on google and it says it can be a sign of a serious neurological disease like Motor Neurone Disease or Palatal Myoclonus and now I am crapping myself......has anyone else had this??
Probably not seriosu/ It is probably the eustachean tube openening when you contort your neck or burp just right etc. The eustachean tubes role is to equalize pressure within the middle ear. When it closes, a vacumm is formed. (it is supposed to remain open)  When the tube is forced upon, air rushes in, causing the "whoomph" sound....   one thing I want you to analyze.

After the whoomph sound, do you feel like you hear better?  If so, dead give away for this scenerio being a eustachean tube issue. Another thing you can do is pinch you nose and "pop" your ears, if you get the same whoomph sensation and hear better....  another strong indication that this is a eustachean tube issue.

The problem usually develops with smokers, elderly, or be with sinus issues/allergies.

As far as this being a "mortal" issue, I think you are ok.
Hi there everyone - I have been through years of hell with tensor tympani myoclonus. It even affected my sleep and concentration. I also have depression and Asperger’s syndrome too.

I had surgery last year but I still get occasional flutters and vibrations, it feels as if someone is tapping my eardrum, it is not as bad as before surgery, but it is still there and having been seeing many counsellors and neurologists, nothing really worked. It is devastating and I would not wish this upon anyone. Even my GP doctors couldn't figure this out as they cannot view pass the tympanic membrane [ear drum] with an otoscope. I have also tried acupuncture, Chinese herbs and been on magnesium citrate and nothing worked. However I am still on clonazepam thanks to my neurologist which does treat epilepsy. This hasn’t cured my middle ear myoclonus but it just relaxes me at night.

I still suffer from time to time and it is really a muscular problem than an ear one like eyelid twitches. Also stress can aggravate middle ear myoclonus, does stress make matters worse? I have also had an over active thyroid too. I use to spend £££ on tinnitus masking devices and sometimes, held my palm against my ear to mask the sound [suction]. I am 25 and I am trying to move on in my life despite traumas and the credit crunch. The positive thing everyone is to look on the bright side and understand that this condition is not life threatening or anything. I have uploaded a video on YouTube for the hyperacusis forum and if anyone has any questions on this that they may wish to share please write back and I will be interested to know how everyone coped.

Please find my video below and I hope this will provide you with some informative advice:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_dR6FMcqfsQ

Kind regards
Sean