ENT hesitant to operate on turbinates again...
In 1998 I had a septorhinoplasty that resulted in very obstructed right-side breathing (mainly misshaped cartilidge on the septum, a deviated septum, and large turbinates). An excellent ENT performed another septoplasty and the result was just short of miraculous. I was very happy.

Exactly five years later, after suffering through a bad sinus infection (first one since before surgery), I noticed that my right nostril seemed to develop a renewed turbinate sensitivity again; tending to swell up and obstruct my breathing a bit, particularly when laying on that side at night, and it has also (slightly) effected my taste and smell on and off.

Two years later and several appointments with the same ENT later, he is now much much more hesitant to operate again. The turbinate always looks good when I'm sitting upright in his office. He knows it is (mainly) nighttime positioning. I had 2 CT scans, and the full gauntlet of allergy tests, all of which confirmed that it's not allergies nor structural (it is SLIGHTLY deviated at the very tip but not enough to be deemed abnormal.) I am currently trying my 4th nasal spray, they've all felt good but none of them really prevent that pressure buildup in the turbinate at night. Sometimes it congests during the day, but that doesn't feel as bad as when it happens while I'm laying down.

He wants me to try to get used to proper positioning at night (head slightly up, tilted away from bad side, etc.) rather than operate on the turbs again.  Is this situation really acceptable, or should I find a more aggressive 2nd opinion?

please please pleaseae don't get the turbinates worked on if it's not that big of a deal live with it and use sprays cause i had it done and i've never been the same i now suffer from dry nose and post nasal drip all the time...please don't do it trust me on this one eeventhough you don't know me