Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Ear / Jaw pain on left side

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Ear / Jaw pain on left side

As always, I have weird problems that come and no actual diagnosis is ever met.  A week ago, I had a root canal on my lower, left side molar.  Prior to this, I had tooth pain coupled with ear and jaw pain on the same side.  I thought this was the culprit for the pain I was experiencing, however, the pain in the jaw and left ear still exist.  I thought it could be a TMJ issue as i grind my teeth at night as well as have clicky jaw.  My dentist seems to believe TMJ is not an issue at hand.  I have no clue what the problem is.  I am a 37 yr old male.  I was taking penicillin for the root canal, so if there were an infection, wouldn't this antibiotic clear up any infection issues at hand?  

I used to chew tobacco and now I am nervous that this could be a throat cancer issue, although the symptoms of this don't add up.  I have my yearly physical coming this month and I hope to get some answers.  I am extremely nervous and this is hampering my daily life activities.  Please help
OK, well it would be very hard for me to say we have ruled out TMJ pain as the source here.  You have ear and jaw pain coupled with a history of teeth grinding and "clicky jaw".  I don't agree that a TMJ source can be eliminated.  You are right about the PCN, that should take care of most tooth infections.  The chewing tobacco is the wild card here.  This puts you in a different risk category.  You should have an ENT doctor look at your ear (to rule out a source here ) and examine your mouth for any evidence of cancer/pre-cancer.