Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Ear- Equilibrium

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Ear- Equilibrium

I am 18 years old and I woke up deaf one morning just suddenly in only one ear and had really sharp pains, spent 2 weeks in the hospital and had a bunch of test ran and nothing has came back, my equilibirum is completely off and my balance is horrible, I have gone to specialist and i just keep getting prescribed different medicines, steroids, and new tests with no answers and have een playing the waiting game, i have no clue what to do anymore, should i just get use to living life like this?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The cause could be an inner ear problem with your symptoms of dizziness and deafness. It could be due to Meniere’s disease, which  is a condition in which there is an excess of fluid in the inner ear. The excess fluid disturbs the ear’s balance and hearing mechanisms and causes tinnitus, dizziness and deafness. Medications such as Valium and Compazine are prescribed to decrease the severity of the symptoms. If max medical therapy fails then surgical therapy like labyrinthectomy, vestibular nerve section and endolymphatic sac procedures are done.

Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.