Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Ear Congestion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Ear Congestion

Today at about 8 am my left ear began to feel like it was clogged or something, similar to what it's like when your ears get clogged from riding on a airplane... Anyways i had the school nurse inspect it at like 11 pm, 3 hours after it happened and she said there's definately something going on, I'm not 100% sure on this, but what I think she said was that i have fluids behind my eardrum? And to take a decongestant and see if it works.
Now that I'm home the only medication i can find is Sudafed PE
Should I take this medication?
Would the medication be useful to treat this?
Should I go see a doctor?

I haven't really had any pain yet, but its only been congested for a few hours, so I don't know if it will come or not.
If she suggested a decongestant, I'd look for a product that says "decongestant" on the label.  If it's an inner-ear infection or something like "swimmer's ear," there's no guarantee a decongestant will help, but it probably won't hurt to try it.  If it keeps on for a few days, you might see your doc.
Ear congestion - Blocked eustachian tubes. A bad head cold turned into a bad sinus and ear infection.  Then, my ears got so congested it was hard to hear.  I tried a variety of things.  Finally, I went to the ear doctor, and she suggested an "ear popper".  It is a small, handheld device which gently blows air into your nose.  I guess it equalizes pressure inside and outside the eardrum or some such.  After a day, my ears were clear most of the time. After a few more, the congestion was gone entirely.  What a relief!  You will probably need a doctor's prescription to order one, and they are expensive (about $175).  So, like me, you might want to try other remedies first.  But, if nothing works, then you might consider the "ear popper".