Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Ear Full Feeling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Ear Full Feeling

I recently awoke to find that my ears seemed plugged, blocked, and "full." Normally I would associate this feeling with a cold, but I hadn't been sick and felt fine, so I became somewhat worried. After two or three days of this persistent feeling, I decided to see a doctor. My doctor told me that both ears were being blocked by an excessive amount of wax and cleaning the canals would fix the problem. He took a syringe and some sort of picking utensil and proceeded to fill my left ear with water and peroxide while picking away at wax. My ear felt much better and hearing seemed to improve. However, after the same procedure on my right ear, hearing was almost completely nonexistent, my ear felt 10x worse than when I came in, and it felt like there was still water from the syringe left behind. I told him that I couldn't hear at all and it felt like the water needed to be released, but he said it was just wax and prescribed Auro Ear Drops to take over the next few days. I still can't hear very well and it really does feel like I have 1/2 a gallon of water in my ear. The drops aren't prescribed to be used for another 2 days (2 drops 3x a day for 3xdays beginning the day after tomorrow). I said I was worried something went wrong and my ears need to be drained but he said it wasn't a problem. Is this true? It feels much worse than when i originally went in - if i wait until the end of my prescribed dosage has been taken should i be okay or is there something here to worry about?
get a second opinion, could be serous otitis media otherwise known as otitis media with effusion, see a doctor, nasal steroids and over the counter nasal saline rinses help
You know what, I have a similar experience, only it wasn't earwax. The ENT doctor said it was fungus growing inside. I had it removed yesterday. But afterwards, it still felt full. I asked if that was normal and the doctor said it feels full because he put some anti-fungal cream inside. He also instructed me to use the prescribed anti-fungal ear drops. I thought it would be better the next day, but my right ear feels worse. My hearing is definitely diminished in my right ear, which wasn't so before I had my ears cleaned. Can anyone tell me is this normal? Will it get better after I finish using the anti-fungal ear drops? Or should I go back to the doctor immediately? Thanks
I Can't answer your question but after reading the original and subsequent posts I have to vent a bit... I have to wonder why nobody considers adding a video camera to the (tool used by the Doc. to "see" in the ear?) what-cha-ma call it tool.  This is a regular thing for telescopes, microscopes, and many other applications....  Having one would show the patient there is or is not anything wrong with their ears and would answer many questions the patient has/would have.  This is such an overwhelming easy thing to do that it boggles the mind why it's not done.  Just think, as your sitting there and the Dr. is looking in your ear, you both can see everything on a large video screen.  He could be teaching you what is what and how it all happens and how to cure this and that, and both of you would be that much happier.

Cost can't be a reason since, again, it's overly easy to set up such a system...