Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Ear Infection and Dizziness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Ear Infection and Dizziness

I have had a bacterial ear infection for 35 days now. I just finished my antibiotic yesterday and the ear ache is still present. I feel really dizzy. I thought it was vertigo but I have had vertigo before and this is nothing like vertigo. The room isn't spinning, instead I always feel like I'm falling or my balance is off. I have no idea what to do now. I have a hard time concentrating or doing much of anything. How do I get rid of the ear infection if the antiobiotics did nothing and even seemed to make it worse? I'm waiting for a call back from my doctor and I'm not sure what to even say. I'm guessing to try more antibiotics or perhaps some ear drops? Any information helps. I am so sick of living this way and I can't bare it any longer.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The dizziness is most probably related to the ear infection. Have a culture and sensitivity test done to find out the correct antibiotic that the infecting organism is sensitive to and taking this medication for the required amount of days may help to clear the ear infection.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you very much for getting back to me. I am on a third antibiotic now and still have my ear infection. Every time I start a new antibiotic the dizziness goes away for the first day then the next couple of days it is horrible again. After that it is just OKAY. This has been going on for over 50 days now and I just had blood work done to check my thyroid as my throat seems swollen. It's hard for me to get help with this because I have no insurance so I'm going to the cheapest doctor possible which is probably not a smart idea but I have no other choice. I'm thinking of asking for some type of ear drops to get this cleared out of my ear? It seemed to be draining but now it is just plugged again. Thank you very much for the suggestions. If the antibiotics don't seem to be helping by Monday I go back into the doctor and will give him your suggestions. Also, I have had Vertigo 2 times before this and this time it is so much different. The first two times, I couldn't do anything. I was in bed with the room spinning nonstop. It went away within a week both times. This time the room is never spinning. I just feel off balance and if I move the slightest bit I feel like I am falling.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

I certainly think seeing an ENT is a good idea as your symptoms have been persisting.  Dizziness can have different sensations. If your dizziness feels like you are spinning or the room is spinning (and especially if associated with nausea or vomiting), this might be due to an inner ear problem.  I would recommend that you contact your primary care physician.  He or she might refer you to an ENT for further evaluation and treatment. I would strongly caution you not to drive or operate heavy machinery while dizzy as you might injure yourself or others.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.