Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Ear Itch Remedy harmful?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Ear Itch Remedy harmful?

Occasionally from time to time I have an ear itch, nothing serious. I sometimes remedy it by putting my cell phone on speakerphone and dialing a number that has a long menu (banking hotline, etc) and putting the phone up to my affected ear and let the noise "vibrate" my eardrum. It really helps, but i'm wondering if it will cause hearing damage. My hearing seems to be fine.
So my question is will it cause any long term damage, since I experience no pain?
And what is actually causing the itch? And why/how does this "remedy" help my itch? Is it the pulsating of the eardrum or the pressure from the stirrup vibrating in and out of my cochlea?

Just curious :)

THANKS in advance!  
Tags: ear itch remedy
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Itching sensation could be due to ear wax. Sometimes it could be due to an external ear infection. Itching is usually restricted to the external ear and the vibrating sound waves are carried in the middle and inner ear, so it may not be related, the itching and the vibrating noises causing relief.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.