Ear Pain After Exercise in Cold Weather
I get severe ear pain after exercising in moderately cold weather or in the water. The pain reaches a crescendo after about 20 minutes of exercise. This pain is accompanied by some dizziness. It subsides after about 15 or 20 minutes indoors. I have been to a physician who doesn't see any holes in my eardrums. This pain is preventing me from exercising.
I used to get that too... until I moved to a warm climate.  Google cold ear caloric, I think you are getting dizzy because the fluid within the inner ear is getting cold too.

Just a guess though
Thanks, Jimmy. Just to clarify, the pain is in my inner ear, basically in my head.
Well yes and no. Hard to say where the pain is. Most people think the middle ear is the inner ear.

The ear is divided into 3 sections, outer, middle and inner. Any how, the inner ear is comprised of the semi circular canals (vestibular system) and cochlea. If the fluid in the inner ear becomes colder than usual, the end result is usually vertigo etc. That is the premise of the ear caloric during ENG testing. Your ear is irrigated with cold air/water or warm air/water in order to invoke a dizzy spell. It is a horrid/freakish experience.

Any how, kip. Knowledge is power good luck to you.
Wear/a/Jimmy is right, it's hard to differentiate from the different areas in & outside the eardrum.

It would be unusuaal for just being outside in cold weather to affect the warmth of the inner ear, unless you're submerged in cold water that enters your external ear canal.  If that happened, yes, you could get dizzy.
So do you have any advice for me?
No, this is not a place to get health care.  

My best recommendation is to find another physician to examine you
Obviously this isn't a place to get health care... what did you think he wanted you to do, jump through the screen and examine him?

No, he was asking for your ADVICE. Not a snotty belittling comment, and THEN the advice. :) geez.
I'm trying to find out what causes it - meanwhile, I wear a bandana or "ear bags" to cover my ears and that prevents the pain.
Does the headband seem to be working?  I've had this same problem most of my life, but don't exercise enough to know if it happens during warm weather too.  Sometimes I think that it's just that my head isn't used to getting that much blood and oxygen.
matt4009, I just wanted to let you know that I have experienced the same thing throughout my life.  Cold seems to be a direct factor because if I exercise in a gym I'm usually fine, but the minute I go outdoors and it is slightly brisk I am in pain quite quickly.  It is a terrible pain!  I've tried to explain it folks but no one seems to get it.  I do hope you figure it out and if you do, please let me know!  :-)
Found this blurb:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_causes_ear_pain_when_I_exercise_in_cold_air

I think they are onto something....
Thank you, that helps explain it!!!
I have the same problem as well and covering my ears helps. It has gotten progressively worse since it started. I first started having this problem when I was about 17, and each time it happens it gets a little worse (I'm 23 now). If it is any cooler than 60 degrees outside, I usually have a problem. I have looked all over and have found nothing, and that wiki page would be a good explanation, but those symptoms and causes are from exercising in general and have nothing to do with the temperature.
I have had the same problem for many years.  Excruciating!  If I wear earmuffs, a hat or scarf over my ears, it helps.  You might think this is really crazy, but my doctor gave me viagra (and I'm female!) because it apparently opens the blood vessels or something, and it helped alot!  I'm an outdoors person, so I'm happy to have anything that prevents the pain.
Your response seems extremely harsh. Enoch He was providing information and his advice  to see a doctor was neither snotty or belittling. However, IMO your response was.
I had the same problem. It started around 17 as well. After a while I gave up looking for solutions. I thought I will have to hike with a bandana for the rest of my life or use swimming hat. I understood that is a matter of inflammation in the inner ear. I am 41 now and couple month a go I added to my diet a shake, with PQQ (helps the mitochondria) and other amazing ingredients. In 3 weeks the pain was gone. I can hike, I can swim. I still can't believe it. After 24 years!
im 14 and my ear popped when i did exercise and feels muffled now i went to see the doctor and he said everything is fine it will taake 4 weeks to go back to normal. its been about 3 and nothings improved - what shall i do?
I have had severe pain in my ears in the cold since 13.  It started when we would go jogging at night.  Yelling has hurt my ears since that time to.  I also have trouble hearing alarm clocks.  And, when I fly in jet planes, the pressure builds up so I hold my nose and try to blow it out.

I have been to numerous ENTs and told my ears are fine.  They have even run hearing tests.

I was just dx with Eustachian tube dysfunction.  I have all the symptoms of Meniere's.   The doctor's do not usually run the test for this condition.  It's the same test they do for a ruptured ear drum.  They puff a little air in the ear.  It tickled on my left side.  On the right, it was fine, followed by a funny sensation and then severe pain.

My father also lost his hearing in his right ear following an assault. And, my daughter's speech is reported as inaudiable.

I hope this helps someone.
google eagles syndrome