Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Ear Wax Removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Ear Wax Removal

I tend to have much ear wax buildup and have ear wax removed a few times a year.  I have a few questions.

1 - I often have pain for a few weeks in my ear each time I have ear wax removed.  Is this normal and what may be the cause.  I don't think it is an infection as the doctor would tell me if my ear is infected.

2 - Is there a good approach to stop excessive ear wax from developing?

3 - If I go to an ENT instead of a PCP (usually the Physician Assistant does it), would the results be better?

Thanks.
I just visited my ENT doctor for vertigo.  One of the problems I had was excessive earwax buildup in my left ear.  Long story short, per his instructions I used 8 to 10 drops of olive oil on a daily basis in the ear until the wax was soft enough to be removed.

Now he tells me to use that same regimen on a weekly basis to keep the ear wax soft and prevent the buildup.  It works.