Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Ear Wax

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Ear Wax

I have noticed that my left ear seems to have ear wax, I have had it before, have you any ideas how to remove it other than going to get the ear washed out, I tried some drops but it seemed to make it worse .Sound is muffled on that side more since I used the eardrops.

Please do not try to remove the wax by yourself, you might as well end up in traumatizing the ear drum by pushing the wax deeper or causing damage to the external auditory canal. Consult your ENT specialist he can remove meticulously as he will have instruments meant for wax removal.

Regards
OHNS2010
Hi again, Margypops!
Ear wax itself is not bad, but when it muffles your hearing, you can use Debrox and a bulb syringe. If that doesn't work, go to a clinic where they have really big syringes for flushing. If they can't get it out that way, they can carefully pick out a clump, then the flushing works.
Let the Debrox soak in for a while, say, up to half an hour for stubborn wax. Remember to bring a book along while you lie on your bed, else it is very much like watching paint dry.
Use warm water. Cold water will cause intense vertigo and nausea. Use warm water. Did I mention using warm water?
pax
thank you so much, I used some drops but I think it moved the wax around, I will get it syringed out I think I wont do that myself as OHN said I could do some damage but the debrox sounds good do I get that at the drug store .I may try that first ..with warm water...
Hey margy,

I have persistant build up of ear wax that can't be flushed out by me at home or at GP's officer with his nurse flushing the h*** out of ear/s.

My ally for the past two years is an ENT doctor.  He never puts me through the misery of a flush that doesn't produce debris, and did almost cause me to faint when nurse used cold water...LOL.  He gently removes stuff with an instrument, and I feel so much better after.  Don't need to have it done often....but is the only way to get that wax (and other stuff) out of ears.   ENT says some people just have wax problems.

Both GP and ENT say the bulbs we buy at drugstore don't have power to clean ears.
ENT recommends using mineral oil to keep wax soft.  I was using Peroxide, which just dried it up and made it impossible to remove.