Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Ear drum ruptured?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Ear drum ruptured?

Years back, I had a long-lasting sinus infection. I dont recall how long it lasted, but I do know that it wasnt found by the doctor when I was feeling sick...it was found months later by my dentist. The last few years (not sure if this started immediately after i finally got treatment) Ive had a strange sensation in my right ear. My left ear has not been affected at all. I can still hear in my right ear. I dont know how much (if any) hearing loss there may be, but I easily pass the DOT standard for possessing a Class A license. It is hard to describe the sensation inside my ear, but there are 2 symptoms that stand out. One of which I found out just last week. The first is that when I swallow, there is a sort-of crackle sound in my ear. It sounds like it is inside my ear rather than coming from outside. The more notable symptom that was recently discovered is that when I go underwater (even only enough to submerge my ear), water will enter my throat and go (what feels like) directly into my lungs. Its as if Im immediately drowning. Is my ear drum ruptured, or do I have some other abnormality? I would think that a ruptured ear drum would cause complete loss of hearing... Perhaps just a punctured drum?
it might help to add that ever since this really became a problem, i havent been able to handle carnival rides and such that spin, and it feels like my ear always needs to pop.