Ear fullness and jaw joint pain
Since the beginning of Aug, I have expereinced some issues related to my ears.  It began with complete ear fullness.  Went to internist, and he gave me Rhinocort and said to take Sudafed.  It then appeared to go away for 2 weeks.  Then it returned, but not to the severity as the first time.  I proceeded to an ENT who peformed the test analyzing the pressure in the inner ear canals.  Came back negative.  I have continued to use the Rhinocort along with Sudafed and Claritin D.  I then began to experience slight jaw pain in the area below the ear.  Hurts when I chew.  Internist xrayed my jaw to rule out TMJ, and that came back negative.  He has no other suggestions.  I went for about 1 1/2 weeks until this past Monday, with no feeling of fullness or anything.  The slight jaw pain was still present.  On Monday, it begun to feel not normal again.  I don't necessarily have ear fullness, but the area  behind my ears near the jaw feels odd inside.  Almost like they are swollen.  It is hard to explain.   I am at a loss of what do do next.
well all my problems started back in feb 2011, i had yawed and i got a sharp pain in my lower jaw on the left side, well my ear swelled shut on me in a few minutes, and i got sick that day and was in bed with a real bad cold or something, well from that day forward i have had a ear ache off and on and consent poping in my ear, and my whole lower left jaw is sore to touch and my month  onthe same side feel swollen, along with my tounge, i get sharp pains right behind my ear at the base of the skull. i have no idea what it is, i went to the doctor 3 times in the past couple of months first they gave a me sinus meds no luck, then a z pack no luck now stuff called noist, for a month no luck either. and am lost on this and it is bugging me real bad, and has me worried too, had a real good friend had a ear ache for over a year then went to the doctor found out he had cancer and only made it a few months, so yes i am very worried
I experience the exact problems as yours and through reading the rellys Ive come up with a possible help. I went to an ENT but he only gave me sinus medications that helped with the mucus but I still feel t he fullness in my ear.
Some overseas doctors recently visited at clinic and I explained to them I still feel the fullness in the jaw area. He gave me the anti inflammatory medication IBUPROFAN which, to my surprise is a treatment of TMJ. Info on TMJ is found on this site. Hope the medication help me, if it does I ll be sure to make you know.
http://www.medicinenet.com/temporomandibular_joint__disorder/article.htm
I seem to be having the exact same issue.  I am wondering, does your pain increase when you lay down?  Mine does.  I think you are farther a head of me in the investigation.  Look forward to hearing how you resolve.
Reading through these from so many frustrated people, led me to post this..... I have a possible explanation for many of you,  I had the EXACT same symptoms off and on for years (and still do occasionally)  Typically, the pain is usually on one side of my neck/throat, below my ear ... right where my jaw bone and neck come together below the ear.  The pain radiates into the ear and isn't necessarily connected with chewing or movement of the jaw but it can be worse when things are moving around.  A VERY POSSIBLE explanation for the pain (and it was for ME) is that the pain could be coming from a TONSIL STONE in your throat (Google "tonsil stone" to find more info about it). From what I've been told, tonsil stones can be caused by post-nasal drip (allergies) and other things in food, etc. in the mouth and throat that get caught in the pockets of the throat and/or tonsils and the nasal drip/food caught in the pockets turn to hard balls of bacteria that get lodged inside one of the pockets of the throat.  These stones are more common than most people know because our body dislodges them from time to time without us even knowing ..... but SOMETIMES these "tonsil stones" get stuck in one of the pockets in the throat and just get bigger and bigger.  (And you don't have to have tonsils to get tonsil stones.  In fact my tonsils are very very tiny, and I still get them.)  One of the things that I have found helps counteract the tonsil stones is nasal spray and also scrapping my tongue (after or before I brush my teeth) as far back into the throat as I can reach without gagging.   For some reason, doctors never think of tonsil stones when they are examining the patient complaining about the pain in the ear, but my doctor found the tonsil stone while she was pressing on the tissue in the back of my throat just to figure out where the pain was coming from and out popped this HUGE ball of bacteria.  (I know YUCK!)   The doctor was shocked too and had no idea what it even was.  When it popped out though, It was instant relief .... the pain was instantly GONE.   I know now that I am prone to getting these tonsil stones and know what the pain feels like when I get it.   Talk to your dentist or ENT about what can be done.  I know that scrapping my tongue and using a certain kind of mouth wash (that can be ordered through the dentist) helps tremendously.  I hope this suggestion helps someone out there because I remember how frustrated I was when I wasn't getting any answers from my doctors about the pain in my ear.  Good luck!!
Hi, belladonna57

I also sometimes have discomfort when swallowing liquid. I've started having speech difficulties slowly. Often say some wrong words--meant to say one thing, but said another; or the right words couldn't come out mouth right away, or couldn't find the right words... I wonder how did your husband visit to doctor, what was the result of MRI, any diagnosis about the symptoms? thanks, piangoaway727
About 6 weeks ago I got a bad cold, it was different than any other cold I have ever had!  I was very weak for days after.  I had a weird headache then I started getting cramps all over the body even in my neck and in my 49 years never had neck cramps. Then questioned if I was having a stroke. My ears started hurting I thought I was getting an ear infections because my sinuses were so bad with my cold. Since then the base of my skull and my right ear aches at this point its affecting my jaw and down in the right side of my throat almost if its swollen. Maybe its TMJ?  I have had tetanus before and it feels like that.  Just guessing and researching and waiting to see if it passes.
my recomendation to everyone with jaw/ear/toothe/facial pain is to make sure your doctor checks for oral cancer as all of those are semptoms of it and bieng as persistent as they are it seems like something more persistant than your simple allergy or nasal drainage problem
sorry about the spelling and bab grammar lol im so tired
I have the similar problems as you.  Went to a GI and had all the testing done, everything came back normal.  Im also saying the wrong words and thinking wrong.  Ear aches, ear fullness, dizziness, chest tightness, headaches, muscle aches, & now Ive been having sore throat for a week now.  Did you ever get it figured out?
Have you by any chance been lying in bed with your head on a pillow so your jaw is touching your chest for a long period of time?  This is how I got it and I knew that's what I was doing before I came here.  When I read all the med advice I thought I bet it's just that wacky position.  I am now ready to wait for it to disappear. I also use earplugs.
I currently have the same issue..back of the jaw, right under the ear feels swollen..problem is, I know what caused it the very first time it happened to me as a kid..I was blowing up a long skinny balloon without stretching it first and air was forced into the inside of my cheek/muscles through those saliva holes at the back cheek..

now 31, I just woke up with the same feeling but, I don't recall, as unfortunate as this sounds, blowing anything..although, I DID smoke some weedand I blow it out the window with a bicycle seat post, I can't be certain but, I may have almost blew the smoke out before getting to the window and held it in, kind of like holding in a sneeze..so that actually may have been what forced the air into my, for lack of a better word, jowels..

I don't really know what to do to make the semi-pain/uncomfortableness go away other than pressing on the swollen glands/muscles to try to force some air out, not too hard..I don't really know what's going on in there and I don't want to "pop a balloon" of sorts inside my face..

I have noticed myself over the years to be susceptable to this condition at different times with different levels of pressure inside the mouth/lungs..from that first time I gave my all and almost passed out from trying to blow up that balloon so hard, to trying to stiffle a cough at the last second by keeping my mouth shut, to even blowing out a candle once..

the holding in a cough situation might have been the culprit this time but, it didn't bother me until this morning..usually it's noticable quite quickly..

either way there is no reason to be bothering a doctor with such issues..
My right ear has been killing me off and on for more than 3 months. The pain is excruciating, the jaw and bone behind my ear extremely sensitive to even the lightest tough, and the opening of my ear .... I can't even touch it w/o crying. I went to the MD twice, two different MD's actually, and was told that my ear's fine, there's no infection. It was suggested that I not wear the headset I'm supposed to wear at my work (I answer phones all day) as that may be causing it.

I haven't worn the headset for 2 weeks, and the pain is still there.

It'll go away completely for a day or two (sometimes 3) and this last time I thought it was really gone. But today, it's back full force, feeling like an icepick is jamming thru my ear.

I've tried eardrops for earaches, also drying drops, heat, ibuprofen, acetaminophen, vicodin, ice....NOTHING HELPS.

What is going on?
I first started having similar issues to the ones mentioned about 3 years ago.
On and off ive had pressure in the jaw below the ear, ear pressure and occasional pain, slight swelling to the lymph node (all on the right side)

If I remember rightly it started with really bad acid reflux, anxiety was (and still is) an issue, not sure if those two are related though!?!  

I remember one night a few months after my reflux issues, I had this pulsating in my right ear and it felt 'full' as if i needed to pop it and the other symptom was pressure in my jaw below the ear.

I only had that pulsating that one time and it lasted for about 15 minutes, but at this time my anxiety was the worst its ever been, actually now i think of it i have experienced this pulsating feeling when i get shocked but only for a second.

Other things which maybe related is, i do grind my teeth sometimes at night especially after drinking alcohol. The day after drinking i have noticable pressure in my jaw and my lymph node seems swollen slightly.

These are the facts,

Im a smoker
Drinker
Suffer anxiety / stress
Suffer acid reflux
I sometimes have seizures (muscle spasms)
I'm a worrier!

My doctor was giving me medication for acid reflux, i stopped taking medication not long ago because it eased up a fair bit, some changes i made were,
stopped drinking and smoking
stopped eating fatty foods
exercise regularly
ive taught myself to manage my anxiety.

One thing that is interesting is this, at one time i used to panic and think i had something really wrong with me all the time and this actually made it worse.

How about this:
A few weeks ago i actually almost cut out my anxiety and was exercising a lot and i didnt notice any of my symptoms at all for a couple of weeks . Great!
Last night i drank about 7 beers and smoked about 8 cigarettes, I woke up with a major jaw ache and had anxiety all day and its worse than ever.
I've also had a dry throat all day. But actually i think its anxiety and stress that makes it worse than anything else.

My plan is to actually give up smoking and drinking all together and exercise daily and continue to manage my anxiety and stress and see how things are in 6 months.

So there you go, im no doctor but i know my issues and i know whats helped me. Obviously Im not suggesting this will be the case for others but make some changes in your life and it might improve your symptoms, you never know.
Even I am facing the same issues.Can it be related to throat cancer?
I am bit worried but dont have the guts to go to the doctor and check whether I am having some sort of cancer because of smoking :(
Please advise
start from the beggining i would wake up my eyes would be crusted shut alot of pain in my eye it was like it was puss like wierd stuff it would end up in strings across my eyes and i would have to get it out or it would cause great pain i was constantly crying not on purpose then a red bump thing appeared on the side of my eyeball i waited like a week and a half that whent away did not go to a doctor of anykind now 3 weeks later started with a acheyness where my colar bone is and then i got sick congested coughing and ear discomfort I whent to the doctor and explained to her about my eye problem perviously and current symptoms she said i had a throat infection all she did was had me say ahh then she prescribed Azithromycin 50mg tablet never said to check back with her or anything im suppossed to take this three days in a row once a day then she said it keeps working after that for 7 days. i took it the day of my app not really a difference i woke up today with no hearing in my left ear i could hear my heartbeat in my ear pain and going from laying to sitting to anything i can tell stuff is moving around in there my ear has gotten worse since starting anti biotics should i go see her again or wait longer the ear pain has now made the whole left side of my face tender  hurts to chew and i feel out of place at times like my world is tilted on its axis and almost forgot to mention randomly my eye will get stuck open or close and i also explained this to my doctor at my app. any suggestions.
Have you had an auditory examination.  Do you have tinnitus?  If so, you might want ask your ENT about Menieres.  Typical symptoms are tinnitus, aurol fullness, vertigo and hearing loss in the low frequency ranges--at least at the beginning, the hearing loss is progressive, but it is the attacks of vertigo that usually are the most debilitating symptom.
Wash U? wow. They are hesitant to do much. And Midwest Neck Surgery---also basic ENT has one doc that will label you a psych case if he can't figure things out. Try Mercy but avoid their docs assoc with Midwest. They have plenty of others.

Possibly SLU, for a diagnosis, not ongoing treatment. They do tests over and over since they are a teaching hospital.

Hope you find a good one and let me know, I am looking.
I have been "affected" by this for 5 years. At first I thought the dizziness?vertigo was due to stress at work and shrugged it off. I first noticed it on a routine trip to the grocery store near my home, I got out of the car walked up to the median that divides the the parking lot and the store and I couldn't move. I noticed that I was having problems focusing on things, people and spaces.
I didn't notice the ear/jaw pain because it wasn't noticeable at first, well when compared to my dizziness/vertigo. I saw my doctor and was diagnosed with depression with anxiety attacks, was put on Paxil and left to figure the rest out on my own(as usual). The medicine made me not care so the panic attacks were almost completely gone but the symptoms were still there. I was put on Wellbutrin, and Zoloft with the same results.
That's about when the ears started to not feel normal and was told they were fine, it was all in my head.
The feeling is not just a fullness, for me it is like someone left the door open. I have fluttering in my ears, ringing, pain when I sleep fully on my ears(like down the inner cartilage to the jaw bone), lots of wax drainage, clicking in my right side, terrible pain when I eat any tomato based foods, and a itch in my ear.
I started having panic attacks because I just couldn't focus visually or auditory, if i was in out and people were moving and talking I would feel like I was off and a panic would start. These have increased over the last 4 years and have been labeled "agoraphobic". This is bull crap! I have developed a defense mechanism to the dizziness/vertigo that starts when I am moving around(particularly outside of my home).
If i go outside and it is hot and humid, I feel like I am not acclimated/off balance , if I am in a store and a screaming child is near me, loud radios or low frequencies, fast movements(people or things), if i have to stand for any length of time( this I think is caused by my shut-in status), and wide open spaces make me feel off and have a feeling of panic or just plain pass out.

I do have depression because I want to get this resolved and get back to my life, this is so aggravating!!!! I have looked up so many solutions that I am on the verge of screaming if I don't get some relief from this. I am a smoker but don't touch alcohol and I eat healthy. My appetite during the last 2 years has decreased drastically due to the depression but I have been working on building it back up again and trying to exercise regularly.

Is anyone else having this problem? I am gonna make an appointment with an eye doctor to have my eyes checked again and then start again from there.
chewing gum is not a good idea because if the pain is from teeth grinding in the sleep, or tjm than it will only make everything worse.
For the past two weeks I have had pain/ache behind my jaw right below my left ear. I was hearing popping and swooshing sounds, an occasional hacking cough (from what I assumed was sinus drainage and dehydration), random bouts of vertigo and disorientation, and fast forming film and grit in my eyes. Finally gave in and went to see my doctor when I got tired of not being able to chew on that side, was in constant pain, and was having problems seeing because of the grit.

He said it could be any number of reasons (ear infection, tooth/gum infection, eye infection, unknown allergies) that cause drainage down the back of the throat and cause the eustachian tube to swell closed. It feels similar to an over swollen lymph gland which explains the pain when I press on it. I have allergies in early fall and spring but not summer so he doubted it was that, and I had just been to see the dentist and had no jaw or gum infection.

Because the symptoms for every possibility are the same he decided to treat everything. Since I dislike "heavy" drugs except as a last resort he told me to get eye drops (Similasan) in case of a low grade eye infection (I wear contacts and occasionally suffer from dry eye so it is possible there is a scratch on my cornea), Singulair (he also said zyrtec, sudafed, or claritin combined with ibuprofen could work) just in case it was allergies from dust where I work etc, flush my sinuses regularly with saline, use a fluticasone propionate nasal spray every night before bed, prop up on pillows so the drainage will go down a different part of the throat, and drink extra water and hot tea with honey and lemon. With the exception of the nasal spray these are all over-thecounter/homeopathic treatments. It sounds like overkill, but I have been doing this for a day and a half and the worst of the symptoms have already gone away though there is some tenderness still behind my jaw. If that doesn't clear up in a few more days I'm to go in and get a low-grade antibiotic and prescription ear and eye drops if we agree they are necessary to clear up any residual infection my body can't handle on its own.
I have exactly the same thing!!!  For 3 years, I have been trying to get some doctor to take me seriously, that there is something wrong.  I can't focus, see straight or hear, at times.  They all think I'm crazy!  I have this fullness in my ears and it never goes away.  I get pain in my jaw area, in my eyes and in my sinuses.  I've had numerous sinus infections.  When they did X-rays, there was nothing to note.   When the weather changes or we go up in altitude, my ears can't regulate and the 'brain fog' gets even worse.  I've been termed as a severe depressed patient and put on meds.  I just want to be better and your stupid meds aren't going to make me better because the cause is still there!   Who wouldn't be depressed when feeling like this right?
Something in my sinus pops when I exhale.My jaw hurts so bad when i wake sometimes that i can't open my mouth. I had positional vertigo. Sitting on the couch if i moved my head, sent me spinning. If I stood, my son would sometimes have to get me up from the floor. Felt as if someone forced me down. Laying down, if i turned my head, same thing horrible spinning. I have black spects in my eyes...like a swarm of insects..have for four years.not sure if that's related. Also I was working as a nurse and ruptured my c4-c5 and bulging in the rest with degenerative disc disease. My entire nerve base had fallen into a crack in my neck...and the crack has healed..that was years before I ruptured cervical..my jaw really hurts.. and i just don't feel well . Recently seen Dr. Said its allergies..had over 600 leukocytes in urine no bacteria or blood..gave me DS bactrim to treat uti anyway...my eyes are wet..left side nasal  stays stopped up since started antibiotic
I have had all of the symptoms above...can't close one side of my jaw, vertigo, and chronic ear drainage.  I also experienced some other symptoms like pain attacks in my shoulders, wrists, knees, and any other soft tissue that lasted for about 24-48 hours.  But I was finally diagnosed with CLL, and RA.  I did years of research on combating these conditions, especially since the treatment for RA could reduce my chances for surviving CLL chemo.  In the past year, I discovered some amazing Peruvian botanicals that proved very effective in miraculously relieving most of my symptoms.  The one that stopped most of the joint pain was Uncara Tomatosa or commonly called Cat's Claw named after the thorns of the vine from which it is derived.  You might want to get a blood test for RA.  You may also want to just try a bottle of Cat's Claw as it has been claimed to effectively treat MS, and several other immune system conditions.  

I hope this helps someone...I know the sufferings of vertigo, and 10+ scale pain attacks.

God bless and God speed all...

Jon

God bless and God speed all...

Jon
I've had severe ear pain for 2.5 weeks and now I'm experiencing, like many others have said, jaw pain just below the ear, and its causing me to not be able to chew and it excruciatingly painful.

I've been to doctor, and they said give it a week,(that was 2 weeks ago), last night I went to the ER, and they gave me some drops, but I doubt they will help.

After some research(and reading posts here) I think it may have something to do with TMJ.

I'm guessing I need to go see an ENT right?

Similar symptoms:  Ear fullness/pain like it's inside the ear.  The eardrum works well and no ear infection.  Mild hearing loss.  Dizzy/vertigo and feel like I'm drunk without having any alcohol. Occasional nose and eye pain--all on the left side. Pain under the ear by the jaw near the ear, too.  Have had right side migraines for decades.  Have had dry eyes for decades, retina surgery and stomach issues.  Doctors basically said to go home and live with those things, which I did.  However, the vertigo/dizziness is threatening my ability to work at all.  

Went to see a neurologist who suspects vestibular migraine without the headache (didn't know you could have a migraine without the headache).  Also Benign Paroxysmal Vertigo.  I'm impressed with the neurologist--not so impressed with the ENT I was sent to.  Ice on the left side of the head has helped relieve the ear pain and vertigo.  There may be otoliths loose in the ears causing part of the problem and there's vestibular therapy exercises for these, but I've seen not benefit from the exercises.

With vestibular migraine, your vision changes before you get an attack of vertigo/ear fullness, etc., it might be helpful to see a neurologist about vestibular migraine.   However, my attacks come and go and after reading this blog, it looks like I might be trying to learn to live with this just like with the eye problems.
I have experienced the same sort of pain. Where the area by my ear canal has become very sensitive, and painful. Also felt the pang of pain at the back of my throat, and also when I move my jaw.
I visited my General Practitioner, and he has suggested an influx of ear wax, which has hardened, causing uncomfortable symptoms, such as loss of hearing, pain in the ear, and the throat may hurt because of blockage in the Eustachian Tube.
For this, there really is no cure. The best thing to do is put olive oil in your ear, and drain it out, softening the ear wax, then visit your General Practitioner to have your ears cleaned out. Also for the pain, try Ibuprofen and Paracetomol, it can numb down the pain. Hope this helped :)
I've been having this problem too, it started two weeks ago after taking a bath. The next day I had completely lost the hearing in my left ear, along with having a full feeling in my ear just behind it and around my jaw on the left side. I went to a walk-in clinic and the doctor said it was earwax built up (never use q-tips, they just shove the wax further in) that was hardened. He irrigated the ear and a bit of wax came out which alleviated some of the full feeling and a bit of the jaw pain, but I still couldn't hear. He gave me a 3cc syringe and told me to put 1cc of oil in the ear, wait a bit and then rinse the ear out with water using the syringe. Later that day I did and my hearing came back, but I still had the jaw pain and ear pain.

Now the pain and full feeling have come back, and I have been popping my ears non-stop because it feels like it helps a little bit (not with the jaw pain much though). I continued to put oil in my ear and rinse the ear out with water afterwards, but no more wax is coming out when I do, and squirting the water in just hurts even more (plus gives me vertigo).

Just wondering if your ear/jaw problem has gone away, or if it is still bothering you, and if so how long did it take to get better?
I think that sometimes Sudafed and decongestants can elevate BP. They make my own heart speed up, so I rarely take.
I am experiencing this issue now for more than a week. I went to the Doc last week and she said my ear drum just looked a tad sucked in but I had an upper resp and sinus infection. I have taken 2 rounds of antibiotics now. Everything else got better but the ear feels full and the jaw closest to the ear is sore when I yawn or chew. Anyone find out the answer???
I have been diagnosed with CLL, and RA.  My symptoms in my jaw and ear are very similar to many of the posts above, and the symptoms come and go, right side or left, and began years ago with some bouts of vertigo, and even shoulder pain to the extreme..  So far, the doctors have just shrugged the symptoms off.  I have done much research on this problem, and finally when I was exhausted from it all and about to give up, I found a nebulous article on a South American botanical called Cat's Claw, or formally Uncara Tomatosa.  I think I am alive today because of this miracle botanical.  It certainly is worth a try...It completely stopped the shoulder pain, but when I skip a couple of days, it is like tempting fate, and right now, my right side jaw is swollen inside, and my right ear is full of fluid, but is pretty quickly getting better.  I hope this helps someone.  It is definitely worth a try.
...arg...I have/just had this too! My ear totally swollen and left jaw too...almost to painful to eat...please write me back at ***@**** if you have found out what cause it...hope you are better!
From my research, the things I have found are:
acoustic neuroma - a small benign (not cancerous) tumor (99%+ chance of survivablility) that can cause full feeling, pain etc.   This is treated either by observation, micro surgery or gamma knife.
Menier's disease - treatable by medications or optional surgery.
or TMJ - The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) is the hinge joint that connects the lower jaw (mandible) to the temporal bone of the skull, which is immediately in front of the ear on each side of your head.

Of course there are 1000 things that could cause these symptoms and anyone who has them should visit the Ear Nose and Throat Specialist.   An MRI with Audiometry performed by an Otolaryngologist will likely reveal the underlying issues causing the symptoms.

Don't be scared; just make sure to follow up on things so you rule out bad things or discover and treat them!  

I am not a doctor but my Wife exhibits these same symptoms and I have done research.   We go to result appt today in about 30 minutes.   I will try to post the result when done.    

Chris in GA   -   08/08/2012
Hi Chris..Just was curious to know whether the problem was diagonised or resolved from your last appt..
I am suffering from the same symptoms since last 2 months. I just had my CT scan last Friday. Awaiting the results..
Have you considered nph or ccsvi? If u have poor drainage from your brain it can cause all kinds of symptoms. Research about atlas orthoganol and NUCCA. Also a neuromuscular dentist for TMD. Also an aqualizer until you can see a neuromuscular dentist. Compressions of the internal jugular along with CCSVI are all on the cutting edge of research right now. Look into this. Good luck.
I have had fullness in my ears for close to two years. I was diagnosed with a compression on the internal jugular at the c1.  researchers are just starting to discover these compressions and beginning to realize how many symptoms they can cause. I feel fluid drain from my ears but the ent can never find anything wrong with the ears. With poor drainage from the brain the hemodynamics in the brain is upset.  an mri should be able to show if the ventricles that store the csf are enlarged. I have had nucca to straighten my atlas and i have a dental splint custom made to fix my bite. We will see if this works over time.  the surgery to fix the compression is still experimental called a styloidectomy. Costs around 60,000
Ive read these posts and can't help but notice alot are similar to the symptoms i started to get beginning of november 2012, it started only with a slight pressure or fullness sensation on my lower left jaw below the ear and jaw line, it sometimes itches and the skin feels almost over sensitive. A few weeks later i was really sick with nausea, abdominal pain, night time chills causing insomnia, and weight loss.

I've gotten better since but the jaw pressure/fullness and itching with some throbbing pain remained, along with fatigue, pressure headaches, blurrier vision, stinging pains usually in abdominal area, inflammed and dry nose and throat (ears seem to produce no wax as well).

Ive gotten blood, urine, stool tests and an abdominal ultrasound, all negative and no concerns from them, so far ive been prescribed flonase for the dry nose which doesnt seem to do anything, but with all these symptoms, i think its an allergic reaction to dust, mold, or even gluten, but theres no way to prove that so far, i dunno what to think anymore
I had pain for two years and did a lot of research on my symptoms without a lot of success.   It all started with a clogged ear and sore jaw joint on the same side.  Over time the symptoms grew to having swollen lymph nodes and tight neck, vertigo and difficulty swallowing.  I saw two doctors, my dentist, an ENT and had an MRI done.   Nobody could figure anything out.  Then I was referred to a Physical Therapist for Jaw problems a TMJ specialist.  I told her my symptoms and she diagnosed that the small disc in my jaw joint was displaces and it took her all of about three minutes to manipulate it back into place, my ear crackled open immediately, music and people sounded clear again, all other pain and swelling subsided in a coupled days. Then I spent 6 weeks, 5 more appointments learning exercises for rebuilding the face and jaw muscles and realigning my jaw movement and bite.  My smile was strait again and the jaw clicking subsided.  Two years of chronic pain, all those sleepless nights, anxiety, Advils. Now all in the past!  A Physical therapist specializing in TMJ is a must on the list of people to seek for answers.

Are you feeling fine now ? I am having exact same issue. I see you posted it long back, checking to see what worked for you finally.

Thanks,
Basky77
I had a stependectomy done on my left ear in June 2013 and since then I have had fullness in both of my ears.Initially when I went back to DR. in late July the Dr. stated he had no idea what it could be and he advised me to take an over the counter antihistamine (which I did - I have no hx of allergies ) and it did nothing . I persisted and then the Dr. said he thought the anestegilogist  may have dislocated my jaw during intubation. He has sent me to Dentist to R/O TMJ ( he is petty much sure it is not TMJ). The surgeon is perplexed - he does not have a clue what could be causing this fullness in both ears. It is now Jan 2014 & we have not gotten any closer to solving this issue ? It has not changed - I sometimes have coughing bouts at nite when I am lying down in bed as well.
Go see a gastro DOC.  It could be your acid reflux.  I know that sounds nuts, but its true.  It took my best friend 34 DR's before he got it figured out.  He had an operation to stop his esophagus from allowing food and acid to get up into his sinuses and it took care of it.  ALL THE SAME SYMPTOMS.  Good Luck, I hope this helps!
My doctor diagnosed left Eustation tube dysfunction. . . over 3 months ago. Have been on Allergy relief / Loratadine antihistamine for over 2 months.  My ear does pop occasionally, so I hopefully think it is getting better, however the pain in my jaw, mostly my end molar is still very upsetting . . I  can't even chew on that side of my mouth.  I am presently paying off a ridiculously high hospital bill, due to the blood work done on my initial visit to the doctor and would like not to repeat the process.  Does anyone have any over the counter advise for me?
I'm sorry to see that this thread has ended for the most part. I've had a strange myriad of symptoms over the past 4 years
It started 4 years ago with a throbbing pain in my left ear.
I've been suffering with ear/facial/jaw pain for about 4 years. It started out as a pain in my ear that came on suddenly and would go away after taking a couple of Aleve. It wouldn't come back for about 3 months. That went on for about a year. Then it got to the point where it would happen about once a month..then it got to a point where Aleve wasn't helping it..Well, now it happens about once a week or more and lasts for sometimes days at a time.

I can't sleep on my left side (side where pain is) as it will trigger the pain 90% of the time. About 3 months ago, i woke up with writhing pain in my jaw and couldn't open my mouth without it popping. after that i was down for the count for the rest of the day.

when it's hurting, i can barely talk, smile, chew, shave, brush teeth or anything on the left side.

I've been to my primary care doctor, ENT, Neurologist, dentist, orthodontist.

They all have different ideas mostly about what this can be but Trigeminal neuralgia has been brought up. The problem is I don't know where to turn anymore.

Commonalities have been with neurologist and dentist, who have said that bruxism (grinding) teeth is occurring as a result of sleep apnea which has caused TMJ disorder. Neurologist says the massater (jaw muscle) on the left side is twice as large as right side largely due to grinding he suspects. they've recommended sleep study but I  can't afford the deductible all at once and who knows if that would solve the problem. Orthodontist said can fit me with an appliance but insurance wouldn't cover it.

My life largely revolves around not triggering an episode of this and when it does happen, my quality of life is bad.

I just wanted to add my input as it may shed some light on someone's situation.
A sleep study may give you some answers. They can diagnose all sorts of things. I know it's expensive, but it may be worth looking into if you can come up with the money or work out a payment plan.
If all else has been exhausted look at possible other causes
I would wear a mouth guard and see if that helps, sometimes when we
clench out teeth in our sleep the nerves in our face become inflamed so it may be causing pressure in  your ear. figure out if this is the cause.
Treat your ears to hydrogen peroxide cleaning and see if that helps
See a Chiropractor to get your neck adjusted
Also go to see a Dental cavitation expert might be able to shine light on the hidden issue, NOT a regular dentist . Apparently 70 of mystery illness stem from dental issues, and I was sick had MRI CAT xray panaramic thermagraphy all negative finally hired a dental cavitation expert and had infection in the bone in the wisdom teeth extraction site, after it was all cleaned up I was fine neck and shoulder pain disapperared
I have these same symptoms.  I have dry heaves in the mornings when I set up in bed or at other times.  the tightness in my jaw area and flem in my throat area make me nauseated and feel as I am not getting enough air.  I do have some close up vision issues and have not been to the eye doctor.  
Doug, did you find any favorable cures?
GCA? Giant cell arteritis? Have you had blood labs? Just a thought. Jaw claudication and ear pain could be symptoms of that. Any blurred vision or shoulder pain?