Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Ear infection with facial swelling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Ear infection with facial swelling

I realized i had n ear infection on Weds, saw a Dr on Thurs who confimred a red and swollen ear drum. He prescribed amoxycillin and for the pain ibuprofin and vicoden. I have taken 3 doses of amox so far, and the the left side of my face, between my cheek and ear, are quite swollen. There is no redness or fever though. What the heck is happening? Am I allergic to amoxycillin, or is this swelling something other than an ear infection? By the way, the vicodan is doing nothing for the pain, the ibuprofin (600 mg) every 12 hours works great for 3 or 4 hours, then the ear pain is incredible again
Sometimes, when you take an antibiotic, it kills the bacteria, which release even more toxins, which makes the inflammation worse for a few days, before it gets better.  However, don't let this knowledge reassure you, call your doctor.