Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Ear infection won't clear up

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Ear infection won't clear up

I have had an ear infection since 8-05 and have been on antibotics 8 times now.  The infection does get better but never goes away.  Has anyone had this.  My PP is sending me to a ENT  Dr but I don't know what to expect.
first of all, has anyone ever swabbed your ear and sent the specimen to a lab to find out what kind of infection you have?  It can be a staph infection or other and that makes all the difference in the world as far as treatment.  You may need a combination of oral antibiotics as well as ear drops. Definitley get to an ENT.
No, my Dr hasn't done a swab.  I was wondering that also.  My dad has had MRSA outbreak 3 sperate times now and I would drive him back and forth to the hospital for the treatments.  I didn't think that I would get MRSA in my inner ear though.
I hope it isn't that.  It is a very expensive treatment and we don't have insurance.  My dad would get charge for a day of in-patient room service along with the medicine for each day of treatment although he was only there for about 5 hours.
I keep getting a ear infection on my left side - my doctor told me my sinuses are draining in my ears.    So he put me on two different allergy medicines.   You know the pollen is nasty this year - very high this year.   Could you be allergic to something in your house - I was allergic to dust