Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Ear pain, sore, dry throat, and runny nose, coughing and sneezing after...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Ear pain, sore, dry throat, and runny nose, coughing and sneezing after rubbing SCM muscle

Someone I know did some research on the internet about trigger points in the neck, and found some information about the sternocleidomastoid muscle in the neck.  I did some research on it myself, and found that when pressure is applied to certain areas of it, sinuses can break, ear pain can go away, and it will just cure all sorts of ailments.  

Well, I took it upon myself, since I had ear pain all day yesterday, to rub the SCM muscle and to pinch it very lightly.  I had been doing that off and on for about twenty minutes; not real hard pressure, but not entirely comfortable. After that, I all of a sudden realized that my left ear, which is the one that's been hurting, had absolutely no sensation in it- other than excessive dripping into my throat; which every single bit of it I could feel.  I thought to myself, good this is sinus drain related to the pinching of the muscle!  I've found my answer!  

BUT...

This morning, I woke up with a sore throat that I have kept all day,  coughing, sneezing, and a nose that sometimes runs; sometimes doesn't and is all clogged up, making it impossible to breathe out of that side of my nostril.  And, I woke up with my left ear bothering me more than it did yesterday before the pressure on the muscle.

I focused yesterday on the SCM muscle in the left side of my neck, and that is the side of my face and neck that is bothering me.  

I need to know if any of you, as a health care professional, has ever heard of trigger points in the SCM muscle causing all these problems?  And, in your opinion, would you say that I added insult to injury by doing that?    Sorry for such a long post, and I did not mean to self-medicate, by applying pressure to it, but I wanted the pain gone right away, and it was, until I woke up this morning,